Old 20 July 2018, 14:14   #1

Town: Derbyshire
Boat name: Zephyr
Make: Zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115Hp
Gt Yarmouth slip

Hi

I've been on Slipway finder and have found there's a small slip located next to the lifeboat station in Gt Yarmouth Norfolk.

Does any one know if this is ok for use at the moment?

Thanks for any replies
Old 20 July 2018, 16:32   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Can't give you current situation but have you researched the harbour?

Don't want to be a fun sponge as my daughters would say but... Tides can run fast at that point of The Yare... across the slipway and out to sea. Harbour entrance can be very rough. More of a commercial port than leisure.

If this is to be your first run out to sea in the new outfit I'd seek a better place more leisure focused with less hazards.
Old 20 July 2018, 17:12   #3

Thanks F

I'm heading down that way to visit family and thats the nearest slip I can find.
Alternative would be a beach launch couple of mile further north.
I've got a 4x4 but didn't fancy that as a first go.

Unless any one can recommend somewhere within a few miles of Gt Yarmouth?

Plan was to launch there on my own and have friends watch me out round the harbour entrance to Gorleston beach. Maybe a mile total distance.
Old 20 July 2018, 17:36   #4

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Your not far from Whitby an ideal slip In the river if it's calm great, out to sea if not a decent length of river to get the boat sorted.to look if it's calm the wheedale hotel have a live cam on the beach.
Old 20 July 2018, 17:51   #5

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
I've launched into the river at Southwold in the (distant) past. That's not far from Yarmouth.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 18:21   #6

Town: Norfolk/Suffolk Borders
Make: no boat
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
Your not far from Whitby an ideal slip In the river if it's calm great, out to sea if not a decent length of river to get the boat sorted.to look if it's calm the wheedale hotel have a live cam on the beach.
Your having a laff Jeff ! Its over 250 miles and probably 6 hours.... ( From Great Yarmouth not Derbyshire )

I would listen to Fenlander . Neither Great Yarmouth nor Lowestoft lend themselves to leisure boating for beginners ! The slip you mention and another one further along , are often gated and I've never seen anyone using them , or been tempted to try myself . You could pay £27 for a weeks Broads licence ( and £10 to use the slip ) and launch in comfort from the Waveney River Centre , and cruise at circa 5 knots to Oulton Broad where your friends could spectate at their leisure . If you must , you can access the North Sea from here via Mutford Lock ( but phone in advance to be sure ). As Pikey suggests , Southwold may be a possibility to access the river , but I'm not sure I'd risk a small sib in anything less than perfect conditions .

Again if you MUST.... there is a slip on the River Bure , quite close to where it enters the Yare . ( Access from the nearby " Aldi " roundabout ) . However the slip is probably ok at slack tides , but is a tight 90 degrees if the tide is running . Also the old boy who own it will tell you that you don't need a Broads Licence . Any passing official craft may well tell you otherwise ! I honestly don't know the bottom line .

Regards

Bern
Old 20 July 2018, 18:31   #7

Point taken gents.

Found another option further north, Sea Palling. Beach launch by tractor. Bit pricey at £25 not including car and trailer parking.
Old 20 July 2018, 20:10   #8

"Slightly" better.

If launching at Sea Palling be very sure of the weather forecast. If conditions fall off while you are out getting back to the beach and then trying to get the RIB back on the trailer could be very challenging.

Like this...

Old 20 July 2018, 20:54   #9

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
not sure thats sea palling ,i thought sea palling had like a horseshoe rock groyne creating a small swimming and watersports area in sheltered bay ,cafe is good i have heard
Old 20 July 2018, 21:40   #10

No it's just an example of difficult return conditions which Sea Palling would be capable of producing if the shelter isn't effective.
Old 21 July 2018, 07:46   #11

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern Hanreck View Post
Your having a laff Jeff ! Its over 250 miles and probably 6 hours.... ( From Great Yarmouth not Derbyshire )

I would listen to Fenlander . Neither Great Yarmouth nor Lowestoft lend themselves to leisure boating for beginners ! The slip you mention and another one further along , are often gated and I've never seen anyone using them , or been tempted to try myself . You could pay £27 for a weeks Broads licence ( and £10 to use the slip ) and launch in comfort from the Waveney River Centre , and cruise at circa 5 knots to Oulton Broad where your friends could spectate at their leisure . If you must , you can access the North Sea from here via Mutford Lock ( but phone in advance to be sure ). As Pikey suggests , Southwold may be a possibility to access the river , but I'm not sure I'd risk a small sib in anything less than perfect conditions .

Again if you MUST.... there is a slip on the River Bure , quite close to where it enters the Yare . ( Access from the nearby " Aldi " roundabout ) . However the slip is probably ok at slack tides , but is a tight 90 degrees if the tide is running . Also the old boy who own it will tell you that you don't need a Broads Licence . Any passing official craft may well tell you otherwise ! I honestly don't know the bottom line .

Regards

Bern
I offerd an alternative that I know is safe to get use to a rig it had been said Yarmouth can be tricky the op visiting the area is handy but if not safe or suitable a better location would be my choice.
The bloke lives in Derbyshire from Derby to get Yarmouth via m1 4 hours 204 miles if he goes a 14 add an hour for roadworks.
Derby to Whitby via a 64 a169 3.10 hours 137 miles.
Old 24 July 2018, 09:01   #12

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
I've used the slip next to the lifeboat station years ago. You can't really access it any more due to the flood barrier. In any case, it was a death trap before. There's another slip on the Gorleston side before you get to the lifeboat station (pretty much opposite where the power station is). Launched a couple of large RIBs there once without any trouble. Your best bet is Anglia boatyard, just up the Bure beyond the yacht station (about 30 mins out to sea). It's run by an old chap called John - can be a bit hit and miss as to whether he's there or not but usually is. If I recall its £10 to use it, plus he has decent carparking etc. Failing that, Lowestoft has several options, as does Southwold. Waveney river center is also an option, and of course no speed limit on Breydon water so doesn't take that long to get out to sea, but you will need a Broads Authority day pass to transit Breydon (the BA patrol that area and do check)
Old 28 July 2018, 18:31   #13

Thanks for all the info gents.

Quick update.

Launched on Thursday, at Sea Palling, 20 mins up coast from Caister (Norfolk, where the family I was visiting live)

Tractor launch across the beach. Pop into the kit shop and speak to them about fee.
Haggle, My little 3.1M was done for jet ski cost :-)

Great weather, great beach. If you stick down to the jet ski area marked no one has an issue with you creating some wake for the jets to play on.