Old 19 November 2010, 13:00   #1

group buy gps tracker???

just reading yet another owners pride and joy has been nicked and towed away without any trace, really pi$$es me off that.

got me thinking this is the largest RIB community in the country so is there maybe a way we can club together for X amount of GPS recorders-RIB.NET buy them and make a profit on them (can put in the coffers or RNLI etc or ANO they wish). we can then in turn store the details in a private section only open to long term members with X amount of posts or something so the scumbags can't just login and see this stuff etc.

just an idea guys and i'm sure it could be expanded on.......opinions?????

cheers
Old 19 November 2010, 13:08   #2
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
I think you should read this and this

I'd say more, but I gotta rush - my popcorn is starting to pop
Old 19 November 2010, 13:16   #3

just for clarity-i'm in no way suggesting anyone pays anything to me or any other member-the monies should be paid to rib.net as they should be the buyer. i.e they can make a little wedge by just ordering in X amount and selling them to us if they wish.

on another note i was thinking of the little GPS recorders you can text for a live update that you commonly see on ebay. these allow you to program a "home port" and if the boat moves 50 yards from it (from memory) it will text your mobile telling you. you can also disable this aswell obviously.

i looked at some PAYG options and i found one a while back at £5 that stays live for 90 days. i assume it won't be used (here is hoping) so it would only take 20 quid per annum to keep it running. ofcourse people may have better deals open to them or may know of better ones???

my idea is to hide it in the engine somewhere which should be easily doable given the size and it's plain black would just look like part of an engine to most.

edit-like this for example http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Original-Thinp...item1c17310ee9

cheers
Old 19 November 2010, 16:45   #4

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
I would be up for it, or will buy on own. Anyone any experience of those on the link or similar so they can give us a heads up on whats hot and whats not?
Old 19 November 2010, 16:59   #5

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I think you should read this and this

I'd say more, but I gotta rush - my popcorn is starting to pop

Thats what I thought .. right your popcorns' done now come back and say what you wanted ... I dare ya anyways .. you forgot this mighty tome of internet group buy meandering ......Ah..... my tea is ready .. got to go
Old 19 November 2010, 17:07   #6

dave-like you i'm happy to buy one on own but i thought could get rib.net some coffers perhaps-save us a few bob-central database on here with our boats details (private link) etc etc.

if no one is bothered then fair enough but i stress again-i'm not doing the ordering due to previous problems so a trader would need to accept multiple payments from all parties or perhaps my suggestion of rib.net does the buying for us and makes some coin at same time.

on the units themselves there is a few discussions knocking about with them on ones to buy and ones to not. i have the email of the company that make them which i was sent by someone on here a while back-but they only sell in bulk so the only option was ebay for me............or maybe go down this road................

cheers
Old 19 November 2010, 19:31   #7

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavelength View Post
I would be up for it, or will buy on own. Anyone any experience of those on the link or similar so they can give us a heads up on whats hot and whats not?
I have one of these ebay, it is mounted in the engine and would be undetectable unless you started stripping off plastic panels under the hood.

It has been in there for a year and has been running of a 12volt power supply that is also hidden in the engine. It also has a battery that will last for 24-36 hours if it so if they just take the engine then I would still be able to chase after them

THe one in the link includes the hardwired charger and is a really good price also a UK seller.

All you do is fit a PAYG Sim (I used Vodafone and have had good results.)

I still get an accurate position fix when the boat is in the barn so the GPS is working not only through the engine cowl but also the barn roof.

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2010, 19:59   #8

Town: Vancouver, BC Canada
Boat name: Black Ops
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 733
Length: 7m +
Engine: OceanPro 150hp x 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I have one of these ebay, it is mounted in the engine and would be undetectable unless you started stripping off plastic panels under the hood.

It has been in there for a year and has been running of a 12volt power supply that is also hidden in the engine. It also has a battery that will last for 24-36 hours if it so if they just take the engine then I would still be able to chase after them

THe one in the link includes the hardwired charger and is a really good price also a UK seller.

All you do is fit a PAYG Sim (I used Vodafone and have had good results.)

I still get an accurate position fix when the boat is in the barn so the GPS is working not only through the engine cowl but also the barn roof.
How long have you had it in that location? Some companies that sell the unit seem to indicate that it requires a very protected environment (not too hot, no water etc). I'd like to get one, your install location would be ideal, just not sure if it's too harsh for the electronics.

Thanks
Old 19 November 2010, 20:17   #9

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaming04 View Post
How long have you had it in that location? Some companies that sell the unit seem to indicate that it requires a very protected environment (not too hot, no water etc). I'd like to get one, your install location would be ideal, just not sure if it's too harsh for the electronics.

Thanks
Its been in there for 12 months, It is in a plastic bag so is protected from splashing however it does not generally get to wet under the engine hood anyway. As for heat and vibration it is mounted in a strip off velcro that acts as a cushion and I dont think it get that hot under there either.

It seems fine

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2010, 20:28   #10
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Xk59D,

I can't speak for John but I think it is unlikely he is going to group buy on something that is readily available via other vendors in the UK (e.g. ebay). The cost saving to rib.net would be small and therefore the margin limitted. Given the time and effort involved in herding cats etc - its unlikely to be worth anyone's while - and there would be little if any discount to ribnet members. If you want a tracker theres been several threads in the past which seem to suggest there are some good ones for under a £100.
Old 19 November 2010, 21:08   #11
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
I can't speak for John but I think it is unlikely he is going to group buy on something that is readily available via other vendors in the UK (e.g. ebay).
Oooh! I've just had this scary image of His Lordship seated in front of a large monitor. On it is a chart of UK and Ireland waters with a myriad of little red dots superimposed on it. One is marked "willk" - His Lordship's finger is poised over a big red button - he's saying:

"I don't expect you to post, Mr. willk, I expect you to die"

Think I'll pass on the RIBnet tracker scheme
Old 19 November 2010, 21:10   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
The cost saving to rib.net would be small and therefore the margin limitted. Given the time and effort involved in herding cats etc - its unlikely to be worth anyone's while - and there would be little if any discount to ribnet members.
Aye to that... capn
Old 19 November 2010, 21:12   #13
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
Was I next?
Yes my friend, you were!
Old 19 November 2010, 21:14   #14

Oh far too much editing but I agree with borth of yee and down with skipper .. mutiny I say ahaaar
Old 19 November 2010, 21:18   #15

Quote:
Oooh! I've just had this scary image of His Lordship
The tall wanky one is never in on a FridaY
Old 19 November 2010, 23:02   #16

if the head hauncho doesn't fancy it i fully understand.

i'm just annoyed with these boats getting stolen when probably the most valuable resource for keeping our toys safe is us and it is not being used to the fullest.

i'm happy to get one from ebay or the like or via here-was only a suggestion.

cheers
Old 19 November 2010, 23:50   #17
RIBnet Supporter

Dubrus

Don't mind me, I've copped another late shift and I'm VERY bored. Just messin'

Old 20 November 2010, 19:07   #18
RIBnet supporter

Town: Belfast
Boat name: Cait
Make: Humber
Engine: 90hp Opti
RIBase
Quote:
Don't mind me, I've copped another late shift and I'm VERY bored. Just messin'

Glad to see you finding something constructive to do during your work time Willk!!!