Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
a contradictory gross generalisation if ever there was one

Of course all RIBs have the engines at the front - or do you drive backwards???
Old 17 January 2007, 20:53   #22
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Of course all RIBs have the engines at the front - or do you drive backwards???
mmm.... not normally - but in that case most boats are the same

All ribs are NOT the same. Different lengths (I suspect this may be a bigger problem with long boats like yours than short ones like mine). Heavy ones, and light ones. Different hull designs. Very different loadings/layouts. Different weights of engines. Different numbers of engines. Different location of fuel tanks. Some have bow tanks, some don't. Some have transom jacks which move the engine further back. Some have most of the passenger seating up front. Some have it all behind the console. Some have the weight of a cabin. Some have tapered tubes (do they tend to catch the wind less?). Many (but not all) have PTT to assist with trim.

Although not a true rib mine is never bow light if anything because of a small (low weight) engine, console further forward than suggested by the manufacturer, and anchor etc up front it is actually a little too much bow down (and therefore quite "wet").

The irony is you recognised that all ribs were not the same when you wrote "mine is better than most" and yet you still made the statement.
Old 17 January 2007, 21:26   #23

I think you will find that ALL RIBs tend to be light at the nose when compared to something like Alex drives. Yes some are better than others but within reason - doesn't see much contradictory about that - but then again you would have to find fault somewhere I suppose.
Old 17 January 2007, 21:41   #24
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
I think you will find that ALL RIBs tend to be light at the nose when compared to something like Alex drives. Yes some are better than others but within reason - doesn't see much contradictory about that - but then again you would have to find fault somewhere I suppose.
As far as I know alex has never got his tug on the plane. I'm not sure how you could even define the comparison between a tug and speedboat (rib or otherwise) though? I would suggest that any planing craft may tend to be a little lighter in the nose than even a similar sized displacement craft. The issue is really only if it has a tendency to flip as a result of it (or at least to go very steep - which may be rather uncomforable). I would argue that as you implied yourself some ribs are better than others.

It comes across that you were saying all ribs are the same - except yours of course which is better
Old 18 January 2007, 08:40   #25

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
It comes across that you were saying all ribs are the same
Oh no

Definitely going to buy a Mac if they are all the same, Polymarine must be millionaires

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2007, 10:30   #26

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Tell me about it - whatever business we do in this country we are strangled by red tape. The EU brings in new laws and if the other states don't like them they just ignore them - what do we do? Throw a load of jobsworths at it to strangle us even more!!!

I remember a few years ago our glorious leader saying it was unfair on British business that other EU countries were ignoring the rules and that Britain would do the same. A few weeks later they announced they were launching a satellite
to spy on British farmers to make sure they didn't exceed their crop quotas!!!

Sorry Codprawn but you have totally the wrong end of the stick - I wasn't commentating on the legislation or the legislators, but rather people like the manufacturer of your RIB who have no regard for the customer, the law or anything else other than making a quick buck. The customer that buys products knowing all the CE documention is fake is no better in my incredibly humble opinion either - I'm sure you were totally unaware of that though Codders!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2007, 11:41   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
Sorry Codprawn but you have totally the wrong end of the stick - I wasn't commentating on the legislation or the legislators, but rather people like the manufacturer of your RIB who have no regard for the customer, the law or anything else other than making a quick buck. The customer that buys products knowing all the CE documention is fake is no better in my incredibly humble opinion either - I'm sure you were totally unaware of that though Codders!
Well as my boat is rated as a C - the same as my 3.1m Quicksilver - I don't really see what the problem is. I know which I would rather be on in a Force 8 - if anything he has erred on the side of caution too much the other way.

And yes I am STILL totally unaware - if he had stuck an A on the boat I may have been a bit suspicious but a C???

I am very sorry but nobody will EVER be able to persuade me that EU legislation is a good idea - do you realise we now have the same spec tarmac as Italy - Spain and Greece because of EU laws. Because it is not as suited to our climate we have to use concrete on the approaches to roundabouts etc to make up for the lack of grip - of course if you have to do an emergency stop where there isn't any concrete in the wet you are buggered!!!

Maybe you SHOULD think about the legislators a bit more - the rest of the people in Europe just ignore EU laws they don't agree with - who are the mugs eh???

And yes I DO know exactly where you are coming from trying to do the "right" thing up against competitors who don't give a toss. We are often priced out of jobs by people who bought their computer qualifications in India or paid someone to sit the exam for them!!!
Old 18 January 2007, 11:53   #28

Town: NIVELLES BELGIUM
Boat name: INDEPENDENT
Make: BWM RAPIER
Length: 9m +
Engine: Ob 2*250/2t yams hpd
MMSI: 235030702
We are often priced out of jobs by people who bought their computer qualifications in India or paid someone to sit the exam for them!!!

There you go Codders - that's a good idea!!!!!
In view of the recent "big brother" uproar in the Uk- that's really a bit pointed. But the subject in question-- she's really looks a smashing piece if stuff.. Anyway back to boating- how is the tub going?? any regrets? ( like get a cabin for example)

jonathan
Old 18 January 2007, 15:53   #29

Town: Punta gorda Fl.
Boat name: War Machine
Make: Falcon U.S.A.
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 250 Yamaha
Great hulls yea or nay?

Cod, am I wrong to simply state that you probably meant all ribs are the same in that they tend to be lighter at the bow than stern simply due to the greater mass aft, propulsion, steering equipment etc.etc? Or do you mean all ribs tend to perform/handle as though they are "light in the nose"?
If it is the former, I agree, if not we MAY disagree.

I await your proclamation Oh prodigious poster of pertinent points!
Old 18 January 2007, 18:26   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathalla View Post
Cod, am I wrong to simply state that you probably meant all ribs are the same in that they tend to be lighter at the bow than stern simply due to the greater mass aft, propulsion, steering equipment etc.etc? Or do you mean all ribs tend to perform/handle as though they are "light in the nose"?
If it is the former, I agree, if not we MAY disagree.

I await your proclamation Oh prodigious poster of pertinent points!

Yup got it in one - some people just like to argue for the sake of it though.....
Old 19 January 2007, 16:17   #31

Town: Oakland CA
Quote:
Yup got it in one - some people just like to argue for the sake of it though.....

I do not.

jky
Old 19 January 2007, 16:23   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
I do not.

jky
Wasn't you I was referring to!!!
Old 22 January 2007, 20:35   #33

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Engine: 250hp HO
Quote:
a contradictory gross generalisation if ever there was one

Exactly! Hence my loaded reply! Codders believes all ribs are light in the nose just cause his is!!!! I suggest he gets himself to ribex or soutamtpon boat show and experiences some different hull designs ribs and not! Any planning hull will have some upward travel when meeting a head sea but the amount and change in angle are very dependant on hull design and c of g to mention jus a few things, (otherwise all hard boats would be great in a head sea surely?) it is not the fact a tube is stuck on the outside!!!
Old 22 January 2007, 20:57   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtflash View Post
Exactly! Hence my loaded reply! Codders believes all ribs are light in the nose just cause his is!!!! I suggest he gets himself to ribex or soutamtpon boat show and experiences some different hull designs ribs and not! Any planning hull will have some upward travel when meeting a head sea but the amount and change in angle are very dependant on hull design and c of g to mention jus a few things, (otherwise all hard boats would be great in a head sea surely?) it is not the fact a tube is stuck on the outside!!!

Would you PLEASE tell me where exactly I said that my RIB was nose light???
Old 22 January 2007, 21:02   #35
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Would you PLEASE tell me where exactly I said that my RIB was nose light???
I thought that was what you meant when you said "ALL RIBS ARE THE SAME".
Old 22 January 2007, 21:09   #36

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Boat layout

Must admit being a RIBCRAFT owner I have seen some changes on the boat layout recently. IBWETs boat and another New one in NI (Can't remember the guys name) all have the console a little bit more forward than mine. Could it be that RIBCRAFT has started to notice this charateristic.

I sometimes wish my console was a little farther forward but until I've been on one of the newer boats I don't know how much difference this actually makes. It might be as codders say all RIBs are a bit flighty at the front and no end of shoving things forward is going to make much of a difference to how it reacts when it hits waves at relatively high speed.
Old 22 January 2007, 21:29   #37

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Hold on for one dam second. RIB's have to meet all sorts of conditions from Rough to billiard table smooth. Surely this is where water ballast tanks come in. You just fill em to the required capacity for the conditions.

If you can't shift weight easily then it's always gonna be a compramise.

Yes?

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2007, 21:32   #38

Quote:
I thought that was what you meant when you said "ALL RIBS ARE THE SAME".

Typical of you to just lift part of the quote!!!
Old 22 January 2007, 21:33   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
Hold on for one dam second. RIB's have to meet all sorts of conditions from Rough to billiard table smooth. Surely this is where water ballast tanks come in. You just fill em to the required capacity for the conditions.

If you can't shift weight easily then it's always gonna be a compramise.

Yes?

Totally agree!!!

And although posted before this is a classic example.

http://www.boomeranger.fi/images/ind...conditions.mpg

Obviously with a full load of pax on board this RIB will be nicely balanced but there are times when the RIB will have to run empty and as anyone can see this RIB is a tad light at the bow!!! A bow ballast tank would make all the difference.
Old 22 January 2007, 21:46   #40
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Typical of you to just lift part of the quote!!!
OK - so you are still saying "all ribs are the same" EXCEPT FOR YOURS!