Old 17 June 2010, 09:13   #11
RIBnet supporter

Town: South Coast
Length: 7m +
Paul

Very good thread and reports, keep them coming.

When or if you get the time, could you ask around the crews as to where I can source the shock mitigating flooring. I have tried all the standard contacts with no results.

Thanks
Steve
Old 17 June 2010, 12:38   #12

Town: Oban (mostly)
Make: Ribcraft, Humber,BWM
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboards
Send a message via Skype™ to SeaSkills
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250kts View Post
Paul

Very good thread and reports, keep them coming.

When or if you get the time, could you ask around the crews as to where I can source the shock mitigating flooring. I have tried all the standard contacts with no results.

Thanks
Steve
Tony Hill at Quinqari North was talking about that last year. I think he may have some information - worth a try, anyway ... Tony is pretty good with stuff like that

Tel; 07525 012 013
SeaSkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2010, 15:47   #13
RIBnet admin team

Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250kts View Post
could you ask around the crews as to where I can source the shock mitigating flooring. I have tried all the standard contacts with no results.
Maybe worth asking GighaSeatours (on here) - he fitted a wealth of Skydex.
Old 17 June 2010, 18:59   #14

Town: Poole
Length: 6m +
Day 6 - Thursday 17th June. Bangor to Oban

WOW! There are many adjectives that I could apply to today, all of them equally valid but most are overused nowadays. Over the years I’ve been lucky enough to have experienced many great days afloat but its fair to say that none can top today’s experience - although a few probably equal it. ‘Wow’ therefore seems to sum it up.

Down to the boat at about 7.45am to give it a check over and input the waypoints for today. We have a waypoint list issued so I enter 15 waypoints manually with only one error - which took me from Bangor to Oban via Roscoff!

Crews are arriving/waking in dribs and drabs so we take off with Quickflash about 9.30 up towards the home of the Redbays - Redbay! The two Redbays have been in the workshop over night having taken the opportunity of being near the factory to get a service/bits sorted. Skellig shows up and we head off towards Rathlin Island keep close to the shore, around Rathlin the eddies really push Evolution around even at 30 knots. Just north of Rathlin we cross the TSS and are faced with glassy seas and an incredible sky. A gentle but pronounced swell is rolling in giving a magical ride. We head for the eastern side of Islay and keep close inshore but far enough out to avoid the regular rocks. We turn north west up the narrow Sound of Islay that runs between Islay and Jura. The water is flat but were against tide so Grey Ghost ‘only’ gets about 56 knots against the tide. We pull into Port Askaig where we raft up and visit the local pub for lunch. Tied up is the Islay RNLI Lifeboat in the most picturesque setting I’ve yet to see a lifeboat station. An hour or two later and we’re off carrying on up the sound then out heading north to go into Loch Tarbert in Jura. Tarbert is a loch in the centre of the island of Jura with a very narrow rock strewn entrance. We navigate in with care using transits before the lock opens into a large deep area where we stop and admire the splendor for a minute or two.

Back out and north to the top of Jura to the Gulf of Corryvreckan. This is an area notorious for whirlpools but today it is placid and we slide through with no issues. A few hundred yards on and we stop amongst a pod of about 30 dolphins which delight in surfacing precisely where your camera is not pointing. Even if you do second guess them the shutter is too slow on my camera and I’m left with numerous disturbed water shots. I’m sure they know and are just teasing! I pull away and am joined by one dolphin who alternates between surfing my bow and stern waves - amazing.

We head up to Oban where Patrick Byrne has hired a photograher and video cameraman to shot the fleet then do a photo shoot of the Sting. We berth then head for Oban for dinner. Ian Wilson (Seaskills) takes the time out to hook up with us for a drink which is great.

I get the opportunity to boat in many great locations but I have never boated anywhere quite like this. The scenery was truly stunning (and would still have been even if it was raining!) and yet again acts as reminder of the wonderful boating areas that exist on my doorstep.

In summary - WOW!

PS: Andrew sourced the Shock Matting direct from the States. I will obtain the details and post here. Yep Plymouth not Portsmouth - my navigation is bad but not that bad. Sorry David I linked you to the wrong boat at Portland. Thanks for the comments.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	51975   Click image for larger version

Name:	020.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	51976   Click image for larger version

Name:	007.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	51977   Click image for larger version

Name:	011.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	51978   Click image for larger version

Name:	025.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	51979  

www.powerboat-training-uk.co.uk, www.aquasafepowerboatschool.co.uk
Paul Glatzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2010, 22:07   #15

Town: Oban (mostly)
Make: Ribcraft, Humber,BWM
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboards
Send a message via Skype™ to SeaSkills
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Glatzel View Post
Day 6 - Thursday 17th June. Bangor to Oban

WOW! There are many adjectives that I could apply to today, all of them equally valid but most are overused nowadays. Over the years I’ve been lucky enough to have experienced many great days afloat but its fair to say that none can top today’s experience - although a few probably equal it. ‘Wow’ therefore seems to sum it up.

I get the opportunity to boat in many great locations but I have never boated anywhere quite like this. The scenery was truly stunning (and would still have been even if it was raining!) and yet again acts as reminder of the wonderful boating areas that exist on my doorstep.

In summary - WOW!
Yeah - it's not a bad place to work, is it? Welcome to Scotland. As they say up here ... Ceud Mile Failte. A hundred thousand welcomes.

Great to see you, Paul, and I hope the rest of your trip goes well. Have your camera ready today - you'll get some great photo-opportunities going around Ardnamurchan, through the Small Isles, and past Skye and the Cuillins up to Stornoway. More WOW!

Looking forward to reading the rest of your story, especially now that I can put some faces to the names

Ian
Tel; 07525 012 013
SeaSkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2010, 02:59   #16

Day 6 - more photos
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	040.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	51980   Click image for larger version

Name:	042.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	51981   Click image for larger version

Name:	047.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	51982   Click image for larger version

Name:	066.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	51983   Click image for larger version

Name:	078.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	51984  

Old 18 June 2010, 03:06   #17

Another blog is available here

http://www.staustellbrewery.co.uk/dominic.html

Old 18 June 2010, 05:27   #18

Length: 7m +
Sounds like far too much fun is being had, Im very jealous, the sun is shining outside, little wind and im stuck indoors (in my home office) doing some very dull work email and wishing I was on the water. Best Wishes, Mark
Old 18 June 2010, 18:39   #19

Day 7 - Friday 18th June. Oban to Stornoway (hopefully!)

Ooow and WOW Mk2. As I write this evening update I find it incredible to think we’ve been at it 7 days. In theory we only have a few days to go however we have a huge number of miles to cover and are not even on the way home yet.

Today I had company on board in the form of Paul Lemmer. For those that know him Paul needs no introduction as Paul’s position in the world of RIBs and their development is well known. Paul has a huge amount of experience both cruising and racing so whilst I have been totally at ease boating on my own it was nice to have Paul along for the ride. Thankfully he was hugely pleasant company too and given his local knowledge I got a guided narrated tour of the Western Isles - thanks Paul.

The plan was today to head from Oban and across the ‘ Minches’ to finish the day in Stornoway (about 140 miles). We started by heading north west from Oban to head above the island of Kerrera across to the Sound of Mull. Up the sound we popped our noses in to Tobermory where some of the boats refuelled whilst we grabbed a coffee. Pressing on we exited the sound to head up to the islands of Eigg and Rhum. The wind had really picked up so we kept close to Eigg as it afforded some shelter before heading north east to the Sound of Sleat. The waves were in no way an issue for the boats but we took a consistant pounding whilst we soaked up the miles. Entering the sound Paul directed us to a beach he knew which was amazingly picturesque. Moving on we carried on up the sound and through Loch Alsh to pull into to the Kyle of Loch Alsh for lunch. The other boats turned up and after lunch we set up in formation for fly by under the Kyleakin Bridge where a camera crew were waiting for us. That done and the trip up to Stornoway awaited.

Chatting to the Habour Master at Lochalsh he advised us that the wind was picking up to Northerly F6 and conditions were severe beyond the bridge. We assured him that we were happy we could deal with the conditions and thanked him and we pushed on. Once past the bridge conditions were very rough and Skellig decided to turn back as they had a few extra family members on board. The rest of us pushed on passing to the south of Raasay and into the Sound of Raasay. We tried to create as much shelter as possible but the pounding was relentless, although at no time worrying, and we slowly punched north past Portree on the Isle of Skye. About 4 miles north of Portree the decision was made to turn back to Portree for the night . The decision was based on an imminent tide turn to create wind against tide and the fact that we were still 30 or so miles from Stornoway. Crossing the Minches in wind against tide in these conditions wasn’t sensible.

So here we are in Portree for the night. Another beautiful location and a fine night was had by all. Thanks to Hannah for arranging rooms in Portree at very short notice for the crews. It was a pleasant but tough day with totally manageable conditions. As a means to recreate the conditions in your own home go and sit in a large tumble dryer that rapidly oscillates in each direction and through the occasional bucket of water over yourself - that was today.

Had we not been slowed by some RIBs refuelling we may have had enough time, that said I can think of worse places to end up!

In Portree the steering needed sorting again so the depth sounder module and a bulkhead needed stripping out before we could get to the bolts - not ideal!
Tomorrow Stromness awaits and Cape Wrath- a big day!

Old 19 June 2010, 06:38   #20

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
i'm assuming you're doing it as just cruise in company and no organiser's on land so to speak, we did the same run in a rib (in company) back in 1999 and i do envy you, keep the posts coming