Old 29 January 2010, 18:52   #11
Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
That flopping face-first onto the deck thing doesn't look very coordinated.
I knew I was doing something wrong. I've spent a fortune on masks and dental work over the years...

Pump it up and RIDE!
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 February 2010, 11:32   #12
Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
A dive buddy of mine was reboarding her boat (fairly rough water, and a hellacious current running), and got most of the way in when the line attaching her boarding ladder parted. She ended up falling into her RIB in full scuba kit, and ended up on her tank, with her legs over the tube. Having just transitioned to a backplate and wing (no quick-release on the harness, as most tech wannabes do), she found herself unable to right herself, unable to get out of the rig, and generally just lay there struggling for about 10 minutes. I finally convinced her husband ( still at the side, looking up at her feet flailing around) to swim over and board my boat, then put another buddy onto hers to help her. Funniest thing I've ever seen...

jyasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2010, 09:50   #13
Town: Fort Lauderdale
Make: Zodiac
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 90 outboard
I finished rigging the life lines a while back, used the boat for diving, and thought I'd share the results. The biggest challenge after learning how to splice rope was to rig the ropes in such a way that when tension is put on them the D ring points straight down as opposed to being pulled at an awkward angle thus making it more probable that it will eventually tear out. I had to redo the splicing a couple of times to achieve this. I can't say I have a formula to get this right, I just had to go by feel.

You can see in the pic how far down the rope sags when pulled. This had no bearing for my purposes as to get in the boat we'd grab the rope by the thick spliced part near the D ring. The sagging is lessened because the rope doesn't run free through all the D rings, there are two sections per side therefore 4 attachment points per side. You can also see the rope free section which is the boat exit/entry point, visible is the chaffing that occurred when using that entry point sliding over the rope that was there originally.

I'm pleased with the results and would recommend rigging this way for a similar application. Thanks again everyone for your suggestions.

Dan1 is offline   Reply With Quote