Old 22 September 2013, 18:32   #1

Boat name: Hysucat
Make: Hysucat
Length: 8m +
Engine: Twin Suzuki 175's
MMSI: 235102645
RIBase
GPS tracking device

For security and monitoring purposes can I fit a tracking device to my RIB ? Any suggestions ?

How long does the battery last ?

Do they depend on a phone signal to transmit ?
Old 22 September 2013, 18:36   #2

RIBase
Ah, Ive just done a search on the forum and realised Garmin do one. Has anyone any experience with it ?
Old 22 September 2013, 19:48   #3

Length: 3m +
There are various devices out there. Some designed for other environments some designed specifically for boats. Some you report the boat missing before it is 'active' others tell you the boat has moved and you then raise the alarm if its not meant to have moved.

I've seen at least one that had a 4 year battery that occassionally switched on checked for a text message then switched off. The text was its way of knowing there was an alarm. if it got a text it stayed on and sent a text back with possition data.

Something seems daft to me with all of these systems though. You (possibly) already have all the kit on board GPS for the possition, possibly AIS to send possition (with that alone if your boat leaves port provided its got coverage marinetraffic can send you an email which could then be forwarded to a text!) Maybe not so good for a garage (probably illegal to transmit AIS) but something says to me it should be possible to do something.... all fine of course till they start dismantling the boat!

Alternatives... there are plenty of android apps that would do something simillar for you. So you'd need a phone probably get a new but old model for < £40, a 12V charger (<£5) and a bit of epoxy to hold the USB in and seal up the unit as best as possible and put it someplace hidden and unexpected, wired direct to the boat battery (doubt it would drain much power at all) and then all you need is a PAYG sim card... If they pull the battery terminals the phone battery will keep it all working.

That said you've just spent stupid money on a boat so I guess a couple of £100 on security may mean nothing to you.
Old 22 September 2013, 20:21   #4

RIBase
Having done a search on the forum I can now see there are several solutions.

Id like to know the position of the boat at all times when Im not on it and I like the idea of getting an alarm when it moves from a set place.

I also want it to work for a long time so I can leave my boat for a month or more.

I also need to consider that it may not always be within reach of a mobile phone mast.

Im less worried about the cost, more concerned with value for money and function.

More research is needed - looks like Monday at work will be spent on the internet. (again)
Old 23 September 2013, 13:31   #5

Town: Arlington
Boat name: Clear Cut
Make: Polaris
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, petrol,150
I had a 150hp yamaha stollen off my boat last year an have been looking as well. Because of my experience my requirements are that it would be separate from the other systems on the boat, and able to be mounted on the engine in a non-obvious way. That way it would report the position of the motor only, or the boat and motor if the thief stole the whole package.

The Garmin one almost fit the bill. I'm still looking, and would be interested in what you come up with.
Old 23 September 2013, 13:42   #6

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Engine: Yam 150
My boat came with one on, I'd get texts now and then to tell me it was in the marsh over the back, then I'd phone it up and it would be where I left it. Then I got a text to tell me it was heading down the A303 towards Mere so I called it and it confirmed it, I called it a couple of minutes later and it was even closer to Mere so you can imagine the panic, I called the marina and security went check on it for me, it was where I left it so I turned the tracker off.

The problem was that most of the time GPS signals are constant but occasionally they can glitch briefly , normally never noticed but enough for the tracker to get upset. Before you correct me Poly, I was told this in good authority by a GPS manufacturer.
Old 23 September 2013, 13:49   #7

RIBase
Well I too liked the Garmin, they make quality products and are a known quality. Unlike some of the stuff Ive seen by googling for a solution.

The only issue with them is the battery life. Looks like you can set it so it will last about a month.

The other issue is will I get a phone signal at my place where I intend to keep it ?

I wonder how I can find out ?

Oh, and I suppose as Ive two engines, I need two devices !
Old 23 September 2013, 13:56   #8

Make: RIBTEC 655
Engine: Yam 150
Have a look at your phone next time you are down at the boat and see if that gets a signal.
Old 23 September 2013, 15:35   #9

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Pm sent
Old 23 September 2013, 16:56   #10

Town: Crewe
Boat name: BLACK BOSS
Make: humber & searider
Length: 9m +
Engine: 2x200 ETEC & 2x40
MMSI: ex directory
RIBase
A couple of weeks ago our boat was for sale without our knowledge on boats and outboards for 7900 ,this is a boat with two engines on the back , was it not for the fellow ribnet members that spotted it and rang we would not have known ,
So went to the show and bought Boat Warden , the moment that boat moves more then 75 mtrs it send a text msg to five numbers and it start tracking it. a siren with a light will be activated the moment the cut a cable on that boat the same thing will happen
I have a I phone with g3 but we came to the conclusion that Vodafone is better because in France Germany , Vodafone reception is much better so you can track it better hope that helps.

I still believe the South African way , 240 volts bare wires on the outside and a big snake inside and if you catch him you can shoot him as long as you fire two warning shots afterwards
Old 23 September 2013, 19:59   #11
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimix View Post
I wonder how I can find out ?
Most of the mobile operators will provide an interactive coverage Map on their website which is usually reasonably accurate. Only Three, O2, EE (Orange and T-Mobile combined) and Vodafone operate towers - everyone else just 'borrows space' so its only 4 sites to check.
Old 25 September 2013, 13:59   #12

Town: Crewe
Boat name: BLACK BOSS
Make: humber & searider
Length: 9m +
Engine: 2x200 ETEC & 2x40
MMSI: ex directory
RIBase
I think some of these boat warden guys are on ribnet , i am sure i have seen them on here , it will be great to ask him some questions
Old 25 September 2013, 14:38   #13

Town: Poole
We have recently added 4 of the Garmin trackers to our hire boats and they are actually very good. We paid about £124 each and there is no first year charge. The options allow us to track their movement about every 5 mins and it plots onto Google and to iOS and Android Apps – which are easier than using Google Maps as it logs in automatically on the Apps.

I am not entirely sure how it works but we are very happy with them. I looked initially at the upgrade option it offers for you but the only benefit I seem to remember is a seven day track of locations rather than the standard one day which is fine for us.

Regarding battery life we get about 4 days but it sends alerts when running low. We have bought charging leads for mini USB for motorcycles and will hard wire them this winter with the only issue being the USB connection is not waterproof. We will find a way to seal it though

Regards, Paul

www.powerboat-training-uk.co.uk, www.aquasafepowerboatschool.co.uk
Paul Glatzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2013, 15:30   #14

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
if the tracker is in the engine cowling, the hard wire connection will be fine on the garmin. ours has worked for 3 years.
Old 25 September 2013, 18:36   #15

Boat name: Aintree
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 7m +
Engine: Twin 150's
http://www.mtrackonline.co.uk