Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 16 August 2004, 23:34   #1

Town: Oslo
Make: Picton Cobra
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha 300 HPDI
Send a message via MSN to Henning
Got the outboard, now what RIB to choose?

Hello,

I got a 2004 Yamaha 300HP HPDI engine, but I need a new RIB for it. I`ve been looking in the Norwegian market to find a suitable boat, and there`s some alternatives I do consider at the moment;

-Valiant Vanguard 750T. It`s recommended engine is actually 300HP, but I`m a little bit concerned about the PVC pontoons people have been talking about in the forum. Anyone with real experience with these? I`ve also noticed that the Vanguard seems to have a shallow V-hull compared to some other vendors. I`m not experienced in the "RIB-area" at all, and my intention is to use the RIB for family trips, mostly in sheltered water, but I`d really like to have the opportunity to cross fjords in a safe way when waves reaching a couple of meters. So really how important is a deep V-hull in this case?
Retail-price for the Vanguard in Norway is about 23000 EUR.

-Ribeye Sports. I`ve been told that these RIB`s gives a really smooth ride because of the deep V-hull. From what I`ve been told, this helps the pontoons stay out of the water most of the time, creating less resistance to the water during cruising, compared to for example Zodiac, Bombard of Valiant. A problem with the 785 Sport which I`ve been looking at, may be that the RIB is not certified!?! or recommended with such a big engine. Anyone knows more about this? Is the south-African hull problem sorted out with the current Ribeyes?

Any other vedors I should consider?
Any help appreciated!

Regards,

Henning
Old 17 August 2004, 08:05   #2

Town: Mayfair, London
Make: RibEye/Ferretti 881
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha 25/Twin MTU
Quality problems a thing of the past now with Ribeye.

Can confirm superb ride on these boats.

Call John Wood at Ribeye regarding your 300hp Yamaha. He will give you a straight answer.

Tim