Old 12 December 2017, 20:33   #1

Town: WARSAW
Boat name: T1
Make: HIGHFIELD OM540DL
Length: 5m +
Engine: EVINRUDE 115 HO
MMSI: 261026640
Gopro Hero4 Silver - settings adv. from experience users welcome ..

Hello,

There are now 5 or even 6 models.
(advantage of the new models - stabilization and waterproof without case)

Maybe I was wrong and buy Hero4 Silver never used before (but sold as used) with some set of accessories (2 batt, charger, mounts, yellow floatable grip, 32 GB card, etc.

Price was reasonable and it still has guarantee till Jun 2018.
Ok go to the topic. Just read instruction and have watched some YT clips with tricks.

So my assumption is that:

- if I mount at rails near wind glass (console) - I don't want to be on the movies but Greece and bow of the boat

- is 1080p Super View optimal set ?
- 24 fps ?
- what about other settings ?
- what software to edit movie ?
- is there any stabilizer (very small one not like hand grip) ?
-- I have Windows 7 and gopro software require Windows 10 so it have to be some other software.

I was thinking to mount it over the Garmin montana:
Old 13 December 2017, 07:29   #2

Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
Matt

I have GoPro Hero 4 Silver and have used Windows 7 & 10 for editing. For editing I have Go Pro Studio which I find easy to use. Last week I replaced my office computer which had windows 7 . My new one has windows 10 and when I wanted to download GoPro Studio I discovered it was no longer available and replaced by QUIK. I cannot work this one out but I still have Go Pro Studio on my laptop

I have the 64 card and this gives me 4 hours of recording time but the battery only lasts 2 hours

You can buy a special clamp for the GoPro which you can use to fit the camera onto a railing only at low speed of the rib you may experience some vibrations otherwise use the pads and stick them on a flat surface on the A Frame.
Old 13 December 2017, 10:11   #3

Town: kingsbridge
Make: ring 18
Engine: 140 tohatsu
if you use a apple mac i would highly recommend using iMovie, its a free software to use. and for the camera settings I would have a play around to see which one you need and what suits best.

Take a look at my youtube videos - all made with iMovie - they involve boats, I use a GoPro hero 3 plus

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_x..._as=subscriber
Old 13 December 2017, 12:30   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
Matt

You can buy a special clamp for the GoPro which you can use to fit the camera onto a railing only at low speed of the rib you may experience some vibrations otherwise use the pads and stick them on a flat surface on the A Frame.
In the set which I have bought there are 2 spare batteries, charger and this clamp to fit onto railing.

I'm "old fashion" guy and don't want be on the movies (I don't like selfies types of pictures/movies).

I'm going to use this "QuikCapture" mode.
I have tested it and camera is off and when I click shutter it is on until click shutter again. If click for 2 secs it makes pictures.

I don't want to make long movies like trip to Cephalonia 60 km 1hr of the movie, only some interested parts. So mount camera on the console in arms range be best for me I suppose.

Still I'm not sure about fps and resolution but based on User Manual for moving objects like hands or boat 1080p Super View and 24 fps should be OK.
Old 13 December 2017, 14:15   #5

Town: Bristol
Boat name: Salty Cheeks
Make: Honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: 20hp 2stroke Mariner
Hi

24 FPS will be blocky 60 and above
Old 13 December 2017, 17:11   #6

24fps won't be blocky as such, it will look great on a pal tv if done in a cinematic style. if you want it for YouTube then 60fps is the way to go. Any higher you only need if you want to shoot slow motion. Downside with this is your editing time goes through roof so I normally use 1080 60fps

You have a few options but the best is shoot with 4k and crop down to 1080 (If you don't have a 4k device to view on), that is what the pros do that chop down to 1080 as the pixel count and quality goes up versus normal 1080 shooting mode.

The hero 4 doesn't have gyro stabilisation but you can get a brushless gimbal from about 150 quid, that is a game changer. If you look at my YouTube channel you will see videos recently with gimbal and older ones without, there is a noticeable difference but up to you if you think it is worth doing. Camera Gyro stabilisation is decent but it absolutely hammers quality as it basically only uses the centre of the sensor for picture and uses the outside to pixel shift to give the impression of stabilisation, if you look at below video on the yellow rib, pay attention to the sky and you can see pixel shifting.

Go pro software I'm not a fan of but it works well enough. If you want software for editing then there is a vast array out there, I use Adobe premier elements which is fine for my basic nèeds.

I should add the above is a general action camera thing, whilst I own a hero 3 I never use it as I do all my recording on a gitup action camera. (Basically a hero4/5)

The video below are the same cameras, mines has gyro stabilisation off and in a brushless grip, the other has it on and handheld, you can see the difference even though both cameras have same settings.

https://youtu.be/VecWbHJuQhs

P.S YouTube compression is a quality killer but thems the breaks, vimeo is better for quality but not as nice to use. All videos have artificats (blocking) on youtube due to their compression
Old 13 December 2017, 20:30   #7

Thank you. Yes I missed this part in manual. Was read that 24 and 1080 super wide is best for cinematic. But missed first sentence that 1080 super wide and 60 fps is best in good light. 24fps if light is no good.

I'm not going to be professional but want to attract more people from UK to visit Greece and use boat here. My dream is small RIB rent business but I'm too old to start it I suppose so will only make some documents for UK people wanting go here and have fun here.
Old 13 December 2017, 20:50   #8

Sounds good to me.

I'm certainly not in danger of knocking steven Spielberg out of his profession but the key (imho) is the editing. I have a feeling a good editing guru could do much more with poor footage than me with amazing footage.

What I'm saying is have a Go and play with the editing software.

If you want professional looking then a gimbal is worthwhile imo

Boating, sun, hot seas......Sounds a tough sell to me!
Old 17 December 2017, 15:29   #9

Editing you say ... But there is not one option "make look good movie" I suppose.

Editing picture is time consuming and results not always better than original.
I was hoping for editing like cut some boring parts or in bad quality.

Editing and improving movie seems to me like a lot of work and without any advice from experience people it can be waste of time.

Is it personal taste or really experience person can make really amazing material from average one ?

About Gimbal. I think on the boat it be mostly problem with vertical movements of the camera. Is there any gimbal with railmount or just short one for vertical axis ?

If not which one is worth minimizing the cost ?
Old 17 December 2017, 16:48   #10

Editing is VERY important with videos, I don't just mean colour correction etc. I'm talking about the transitions, clip type, length etc. I.e your imagination

If you are not happy to spend time editing then don't waste money on a gimbal. Just go have a play and see if you like the results.
Old 17 December 2017, 17:20   #11

There is Winter time so I have time to watch some tutorials

Old 17 December 2017, 19:01   #12

This bus gimbal I have-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01..._t3_B00LJNLZOW

I can't stress enough the difference it makes.
Old 17 December 2017, 19:27   #13

Is there something like upper part of this having rail mount.
I'm sure nobody from family will keep it in hand and kids want to snorkel with goPro with floating goPro stick.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

There is something like that http://feiyu-tech.com/index.php/Prod.../pr_id/85.html
Old 17 December 2017, 20:07   #14

There is a rail mount yes but trust me, rail mounted videos are boring so don't waste time going there.

Get the one I linked to or similar and you'll get good results.

You do not have video recording for hours, just video maybe 30 seconds at a time. Makes editing much easier too.

The gopro comes out these gimbals in seconds.

Or get a gitup2 camera and give the kids the gopro.
Old 17 December 2017, 20:45   #15

Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatFromPoland View Post
There is Winter time so I have time to watch some tutorials
Maciek, you will be wasting your time as Go Pro Studio is no longer available to download. see my earlier post