Boat name: Humma
Make: Humber Destoyer 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: Out b 75 hp Marriner
MMSI: 235068231
RIBase
Good buy or Not

Tornado rib seems a good only 9 years old 5.8 with good engine
but have been told tornado ribs are PVC tubes and not Hyperion does this decreases there value
Old 25 February 2019, 18:56   #2
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by stul View Post
Hyperion
Titan off Uranus.
One for my list
Old 25 February 2019, 19:13   #3

Town: glasgow
Boat name: black cat
Make: redbay
Length: 6m +
Engine: suzuki 140hp
yes if all else is the same. hypalon is heavier and harder wearing but also more expensive and having used both it would depend on what i am using the boat for and how often. there is a lot of negative a pvc but wear patches for key places and they are more than fine. as pvc is lighter it means less hp required and in some cases can mean unbraked and not a braked trailer. Condition of both though is the key as both cost a lot to replace!!!
Old 25 February 2019, 19:29   #4
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtonmarine View Post
as pvc is lighter it means less hp required and in some cases can mean unbraked and not a braked trailer.
That's something I'd not considered previously! In your experience, what would the typical weight savings be on a 6m RIB?
Old 25 February 2019, 19:46   #5

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Thought tornado were PU not PVC
Old 25 February 2019, 19:47   #6

Hi

sorry others will know on here but the 5.8 with a 100 suzki (new engine) came in with no fuel a some basic electrics and bits at 520kg so depending on your engine the tornado 6m it says is the same weight see https://tornado-boats.com/ribs/ so when we sold a trailer he was ok to be unbraked ie we can go to 590kg unbraked so he just loaded his boot with extra fuel and the anchor. unbraked = a lot cheaper and easier to look after so it can make a difference.
Old 25 February 2019, 19:59   #7

Town: STOKE
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
Thought tornado were PU not PVC
your probably correct ,I was told they where not hypalon
Old 25 February 2019, 20:05   #8
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Hi

sorry others will know on here but the 5.8 with a 100 suzki (new engine) came in with no fuel a some basic electrics and bits at 520kg so depending on your engine the tornado 6m it says is the same weight see https://tornado-boats.com/ribs/ so when we sold a trailer he was ok to be unbraked ie we can go to 590kg unbraked so he just loaded his boot with extra fuel and the anchor. unbraked = a lot cheaper and easier to look after so it can make a difference.
Er thanks. Reading between the many lines, could I be forgiven for assuming that you have no idea? It's just that you seemed very sure when you were advising the OP of your professional opinion...
Old 25 February 2019, 22:19   #9
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Good buy or Not

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
That's something I'd not considered previously! In your experience, what would the typical weight savings be on a 6m RIB?

That sounds like a job involving pi so I am duly summonsed!

As far as I can see Hypalon comes in quite a wide range of densities, from as low as 880g/m2 to 2210g/m2 whilst PVC seems to be typically 980g/m2 (other ranges may be possible). So theoretically some Hypalon boats could lighter! But I believe 1500g/m2 is the most you would find on “normal” boats.

Assuming the tubes are a total of 12m long (total), and 0.5m diam you are looking at less than 10kg difference between 1500g/m2 and 980g/m2 ...

(The only data I could find for PU was the same density as Hypalon and more puncture and abrasion resistant).
Old 26 February 2019, 05:43   #10

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
That sounds like a job involving pi so I am duly summonsed!

As far as I can see Hypalon comes in quite a wide range of densities, from as low as 880g/m2 to 2210g/m2 whilst PVC seems to be typically 980g/m2 (other ranges may be possible). So theoretically some Hypalon boats could lighter! But I believe 1500g/m2 is the most you would find on “normal” boats.

Assuming the tubes are a total of 12m long (total), and 0.5m diam you are looking at less than 10kg difference between 1500g/m2 and 980g/m2 ...

(The only data I could find for PU was the same density as Hypalon and more puncture and abrasion resistant).

Ribcraft standard commercial spec Hypalon is 1300 gsm. The heavy duty is 1500gsm.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2019, 06:35   #11

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post

You'd save nearly 3kg by leaving them deflated.

The thought of pie sparked my interest.
Old 26 February 2019, 08:42   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Er thanks. Reading between the many lines, could I be forgiven for assuming that you have no idea? It's just that you seemed very sure when you were advising the OP of your professional opinion...
I am 100 pecent sure it lighter. my job is to get trailers for my clients for the least amount of money and there is often just a few kg between braked and unbraked, single and twin axle. Do I need to know the spec differnece lol .... no. I just need to make sure its legal and safe.

KG's on trailers count. we often get cases where losing 10Kg or so can mean the difference between unbraked or braked or single to to twin axle.
Old 26 February 2019, 09:22   #13

RIBase
Quote:
I am 100 pecent sure it lighter. my job is to get trailers for my clients for the least amount of money and there is often just a few kg between braked and unbraked, single and twin axle. Do I need to know the spec differnece lol .... no. I just need to make sure its legal and safe.

KG's on trailers count. we often get cases where losing 10Kg or so can mean the difference between unbraked or braked or single to to twin axle.
so if your working to a 10 kg tolerance on braked and unbraked just a couple of gallon of petrol extra for instance will push an unbraked trailer over the limit bit fine that for me IMO
Old 26 February 2019, 10:04   #14

Clients often would prefer to take things out of the boat to save a lot of money and nothave brakes or twin axle. its not our money and as long as its legal and they know the limits then that is a choice they need to make not us. this happens even more on big boats as they are often just over the boat capacity of the trailer so the only way they can do it is go go and check the weight and see what can be taken out to make it legal. we have this with a cheetah at the moment boat is 2900kg and we can go to 2850kg and it needs to be on a road legal trailer. the client is working out how do to this as we speak!!
Old 26 February 2019, 15:47   #15

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by stul View Post
Tornado rib seems a good only 9 years old 5.8 with good engine
but have been told tornado ribs are PVC tubes and not Hyperion does this decreases there value
stul

if you get in touch with KRAKEN RIBS on here they will tell you all you need to know about tornado one of the lads dad was the owner of tornado and as far back as i can remember they were PU fabric and stand up well to use.

cheers
Old 26 February 2019, 20:09   #16

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Excel Chalanger
Make: Highfield 380 Excel
Engine: 25 Yamaha 25Suzuki
MMSI: 235919522
Tell him to take beer out of boat job done [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
Old 26 February 2019, 21:15   #17

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Tornado certainly used to be PU tubes. It's a good fabric - very hard wearing, easy to keep clean.

As for working to 10kg tolerances for trailers etc - 10kg on on a 750kg trailer would be too close for my comfort. If it rained and you forgot to pull the bung out/you left some bottles of water in a locker etc etc you could push yourself over into the illegal bracket if you had the very unlikely misfortune to get pulled over right at the wrong moment.
Old 27 February 2019, 07:54   #18

Town: Axminster, Devon
Boat name: Blue Tornado
Make: Tornado
Engine: 90HP outboard 4 str
Tornado 5.8

I actually still have my Tornado 5.8m rib which I bought new in 1994. It originally had PU tubes which I had replaced when it was about 15 years old mainly because I neglected it and left uncovered outdoors for years. The tubes were very hard wearing seeing mine was used for diving all around the uk. It is a great rib and handles beautifully even in rough seas. I haven’t followed the thread in great detail but I tow mine on a 750kg trailer sometimes loaded with diving kit with no problems. It is not a heavy rib in my experience and has travelled all around the coast. Cheers Martin
Old 27 February 2019, 07:59   #19

Town: Axminster, Devon
Boat name: Blue Tornado
Make: Tornado
Engine: 90HP outboard 4 str
I forgot to add that mine is a braked trailer which actually is a pain being constantly immersed in sea water for launching. I normally dismantle and clean twice per year although I have not yet fitted hub wash connections to my drums. Cheers Martin
Old 27 February 2019, 12:07   #20

Town: STOKE
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
stul

if you get in touch with KRAKEN RIBS on here they will tell you all you need to know about tornado one of the lads dad was the owner of tornado and as far back as i can remember they were PU fabric and stand up well to use.

cheers
Thanks for the input ,but decided not to buy it had other issues
Thank