Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
Gonna try and get this one

It's a Lomac ( Italy) What you think if i can get it for a small exhorbitant price. Has a 2001 200hp Merc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	62d6_3[1].jpg
Views:	341
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	26311   Click image for larger version

Name:	5f85_3[1].jpg
Views:	281
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	26313  
Old 21 April 2007, 21:54   #2

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
I would certainly like to try that out on a rough day first. Looks a little bum heavy to me.
Old 21 April 2007, 21:57   #3

You know what. Seems like when you buy second hand its very rare you get a great boat. Often its a good boat with a naff engine or a naff boat with a good engine. Looks like this is the latter. Certainly if it was smaller I would steer clear of it but at the size your looking at it might be okay.
And if your carrying divers with tanks etc then I guess it will be fine.
Old 21 April 2007, 22:03   #4

Thanks Bigs. Do not think it is bum heavy judging by the position of the trailer axle. It has an open transom. I would take out the bottle racks and fit seating. It is only 20 miles from my home and I will look at tomorrow. price is about $10K/ 5k pounds.
Old 21 April 2007, 22:09   #5

Price seems very good. Especially if it can be modified a little.
When you look at it. See if you can move the console forward. If the console is only held in with screws then all it will take is a couple of new cables to move it all forward. Then it would be a decent boat. And you wouldn't have to worry too much about getting loads of passengers to balance it out.
Old 22 April 2007, 00:01   #6
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
Seems like when you buy second hand its very rare you get a great boat. Often its a good boat with a naff engine or a naff boat with a good engine.

So either that means no one is ever putting together great boats in the first place (and hence they never make it to the resale market) or that whenever someone has the perfect combo they don't resell it? And yet there probably aren't many people who buy a brand new boat and still have it 10 years later...
Old 22 April 2007, 00:22   #7
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
So either that means no one is ever putting together great boats in the first place (and hence they never make it to the resale market) or that whenever someone has the perfect combo they don't resell it? And yet there probably aren't many people who buy a brand new boat and still have it 10 years later...
I suspect that a lot of the good combinations get snapped up before they are properly advertised-and the second users don't sell them for a long time?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2007, 00:42   #8

Oi, you bunch of w-anchors. I asked for advice about a boat I had no info. on. You guys are supposed to be the experts. Then someone turns it into a debate about buying used boats. ( Thanks to Biggles for his advice).
Old 22 April 2007, 00:53   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Polwart. I don't understand your first answer. The second one is probably understandable and the third one. Well a ten year old boat will probably be okay but the engine is probably going to be a porker.

Just visit boats and outboards. Its most depressing trying to work your way through the thousands of adverts trying to find a genuine boat.

Nos4r2 probably has the right answer. If its a good boat and its priced fairly its probably going to go quick.

Don't you find it suprising how many people come on here asking for advice after looking at second hand boats and get told to buy the boat and change the engine for a better one at a later date. Thats probably when you find old boats with good engines. It seems like a vicious circle.

What I was originally trying to say was that it is very hard to find a decent boat (Whole package) second hand. There seems an awful lot of dross out their. I suppose as I've found out myself over the years buying a boat can be a very sharp and expensive learning curve. Oh and very dangerous if you get stuck out at sea.
Old 22 April 2007, 07:43   #10
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
Polwart. I don't understand your first answer. The second one is probably understandable and the third one. Well a ten year old boat will probably be okay but the engine is probably going to be a porker.
there were only supposed to be two answers! Not sure I agree that every ten year old engine will be crap. It all depends on your budget - for £5k you aren't going to find a large boat with large engine and expect both to be in tip top condition.
Quote:
Just visit boats and outboards. Its most depressing trying to work your way through the thousands of adverts trying to find a genuine boat.
true - but I think B&O could be so much better as a site anyway. Free advertising encourages people to post dross as there is no loss if it doesn't sell.
Quote:
Nos4r2 probably has the right answer. If its a good boat and its priced fairly its probably going to go quick.
ok fair enough - so the question limey needs to be asking him/herself is - if it is such "a good engine boat combo at a good price" why is it still on the market?

Quote:
Don't you find it suprising how many people come on here asking for advice after looking at second hand boats and get told to buy the boat and change the engine for a better one at a later date. Thats probably when you find old boats with good engines. It seems like a vicious circle.
I hadn't given it any though - hence my question.

Quote:
What I was originally trying to say was that it is very hard to find a decent boat (Whole package) second hand. There seems an awful lot of dross out their. I suppose as I've found out myself over the years buying a boat can be a very sharp and expensive learning curve. Oh and very dangerous if you get stuck out at sea.
fair comment - and I think I would generally say I am of the opinion that time spend finding (and/or saving) for a boat (and engine) that are in good condition is time and money that won't be wasted fixiing it.
Old 22 April 2007, 07:59   #11
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey Linda View Post
Oi, you bunch of w-anchors. I asked for advice about a boat I had no info. on. You guys are supposed to be the experts. Then someone turns it into a debate about buying used boats. ( Thanks to Biggles for his advice).
No need to get stroppy... someone gave you general advice and I was trying to establish if there was substance to it. Having used the forum to discuss ths advice I would say there was... if you want people to give you advice (those that have posted so far or others) you might want to lay off the abuse a little

I suggest if you are looking for specific information/advice you might also want to sharpen up your orginal question...

Quote:
It's a Lomac ( Italy) What you think if i can get it for a small exhorbitant price. Has a 2001 200hp Merc.
I assume you have found the Lomac website - and you presumably have more info than we do to help identify the hull... e.g.

http://www.inflatableboatslomac.com/...catid=7&url=en

I'm not sure how comfortable I would be with the console so close to an open transom with no seat/jockey or anything stopping you slipping into the mincer.

£5k seems like a reasonable price for any 6m+ rib with intact tubes, OK hull and a 6 year old 200 HP engine and a reasonable trailer. Thats even better given that ribs on your side of the pond are generally more expensive (although if the dollar keep going we will soon be able to import them to the UK for pennies!).
Old 22 April 2007, 08:00   #12
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
price is about $10K/ 5k pounds.
That's very cheap even for the USA isn't it?

If it's all ok I'd grab it anyway. That's a lot of boat for the money...

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2007, 09:04   #13

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Just go and have a look at it!

I guess that you, Limey have got enough experience of looking at boats good enough to see if it's any good or not.

Providing the tubes are in good nick and the hull is sound, everything else can be removed and replaced easy.

Consoles are fairly straight forward to move, and the addition of some nice seating would be good. Place an A frame at the rear to stop your passengers falling off and your nearly home dry

Next thing is the outboard....Get it serviced by a main dealer (better still, get the seller to do it) and really find out what it's like. If you replace it, it'll cost you a little more than the price of the whole outfit for a brand new one and that's not too bad.

$10,000 seems like a real cheap price for this outfit, so go with a Nautical friend for a second opinion and be wary of con-men/something wrong with the rig. Take cash as well, because you can buy it (often getting a better price by waving $'s in their face) and you get to drive it away then and there.

I suspect that if it's a genuin sale then and been on the market for a while, then the layout is what is putting people off.

Good luck mate!

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2007, 09:09   #14

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Trailer looks a tad short, ideally the transom and the weight of that engine ought to be taken by the trailer not hanging in mid air.

Pete
Old 22 April 2007, 13:25   #15

Thanks for all the input guys. I also have concerns about the trailer.
Old 22 April 2007, 15:09   #16

I apologise if I came across a bit stroppy. I did not mean to. Guess I was just a bit frustrated in trying to get info. on an unusual before I go see it. Thanks again to all
Old 22 April 2007, 15:23   #17

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
LL, you were looking at a Hurricane a week or so ago. Did that fall through? I would be concerned about this boat just because of the lack of direct knowledge about the maufacturer.

At least Hurricane is known to manufacture solid (if not expensive) boats...

My $.02 worth!

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2007, 15:32   #18

Town: Punta gorda Fl.
Boat name: War Machine
Make: Falcon U.S.A.
Engine: twin 250 Yamaha
Quote:
Thanks for all the input guys. I also have concerns about the trailer.
Trailer looks a little small (light) for the boat to me, what is it rated for and what does the boat and motor weigh? Not familiar with the brand but the Italians have been building them for quite awhile. Looks O.k. Are you going to be able to get a sea trial?
Old 22 April 2007, 15:51   #19

The Hurricane I was looking at had hull damage, no tubes and was in Nova Scotia. Decided not to do that. The avantage of this one is it only 20miles from home. I will have a close look at the trailer issues. It appears that the manufacturer is called Lomac Nautica and has been making RIBS for 25 years. Nautica does have a good reputaion , I believe.
Thanks. T.
Old 22 April 2007, 19:33   #20

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
We don't see to many Lomacs in the UK so advice is going to be limited I'm afraid. Its not going to hang around with that amount of HP though. Best fit a seat belt

It seems to have some diving racks in it, so has it been used commerically with lots of engine hours? and if its propped for diving then your going to need a bigger prop but hardly the end of the world especially for that price.

Pete