Click Here to Login

Old 03 October 2010, 19:35   #1

Town: Greatstone
Boat name: timanfaya 2
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: mariner 75
MMSI: 235079206
going to do all winter(hopefully) are you? have you?

I have decided to try and get some winter ribbing in, those nice flat sunny days should be fun.I have done it with my sib s before so why not my rib, i am interested in other members who do the same. Stories and plans, places to go and what you do to equip your self. Looking forward to it.
Old 03 October 2010, 19:54   #2

Town: Poole
Boat name: Triple O
Make: R70
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 200hp
I've kept mine going for the last couple of years, I never do as much as I hope especially as it gets really cold but there are certainly days worth going out for. For me its meant some new wardrobe and I've been close to buying helmets if only for winter ribbing and keeping my head warm for a while now. The main thing if you keep the boat ashore is to remember to keep the leg fully down and clear of water in the event of a hard frost (sorry if you already know this).
Old 03 October 2010, 20:03   #3
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Best of days (because they're a bonus)

The RIB:
Keep the batteries well charged
Watch for "dry" linkages
Keep all the small stuff handy in a big box, ready for deployment to the boat when the WX settles
Keep a track of how old the fuel is and plan accordingly

The Crew:
Keep 'em warm and dry. It WILL be cold. Balaclavas suddenly don't seem quite so passé
Take hot drinks and lots of food
Take spare dry clothes and ideally, survival bags - if you have an immersion, it will be VERY serious.

The Plan:
Keep it simple and keep the shore party informed. Don't be overly adventurous, it WILL be dark early and the WX IS going to change pronto.

I usually aim for no more than two hours at speed and a short while ashore or drifting somewhere for a "picnic" or whatever. The day out is what matters here, not the distance travelled.

Now, if I had a heated wheelhouse....
Old 03 October 2010, 20:11   #4

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Some of the best ribbing we've done has been during the normal 'off' months.

In the solent you get some cracking days when the sun is out, the air is so crisp and fresh and the surface turns like glass.

There are so few boats about that you can tie up right outside The Folly, and Yarmouth loses some of the manic packed feeling it has during the summer.

All four of us have drysuits and helmets with long visors, which I believe are a must to be comfortable in the colder weather.

Nasher.
Old 03 October 2010, 20:13   #5

Town: Greatstone
Boat name: timanfaya 2
Make: zodiac
Engine: mariner 75
MMSI: 235079206
brilliant... im just out to pootle about nothing adventurous or risky.. a good settled weather forecast is a must. We have immersion suits and will get head gear evenif it is knitted by my nan!!
Old 03 October 2010, 20:16   #6

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Archangel
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: ETec 225
MMSI: 235063789
Winter ribbing is fine so long as you wrap up warm. Notice I have two coats on in this photo. It was taken last February on a still, sunny morning; I remember it well. God it was cold! Good job I had brought some soup with me as it's a 90nm round trip from Jersey to Mont St. Michel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	057.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	54725  
Old 03 October 2010, 20:38   #7

I'm planning on going out regularly over winter as others have mentioned you can have some lovely sunny days. Have just bought a personal epirb thingy just in case and will be considering dry suit.
Old 03 October 2010, 20:44   #8

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
In this part of the world, we can get into sub-freezing temperatures starting any time now. While we can get some nice weather, the Great Lakes tend to get pretty rough into the Fall and early winter.

When we go out, we wear full flotation suits, toques and gloves or mitts. We also wear winter boots as I find it's my feet that get coldest. We leave them loosely laced in case they need to come off in a hurry. Mrs. Stoo has a suit which is a size larger than she needs so she can stuff about 6 layers underneath.

In a few weeks, I will start to bring my batteries inside and leave a trickle charger on them. Also, when I pull my boat out, I turn the engine over for just a second to make sure there's no water stuck in it anywhere. Similarly, drop your trucks (well, the boat's) and remove the drain plug in the hull. You don't want any water trapped where it can freeze.

Usually, our season comes to an end when the first major snow comes. The ramps (slipways) get piled in with snow and there's always the risk that you will launch your truck too!

A few years ago we were up north to get in one last weekend of diving. We stayed in a motel the night before, but when I got up in the morning, my boat was filled to the top of the tubes with snow. I learned that dive fins actually make pretty good snow shovels!

When we got the the parking area near the ramp we had some trouble though because as we tried to back up, the surge brakes kept activating. We could have "pinned" them to get around that problem, but then I started to wonder if I'd be able to get my truck up the ramp again. Mrs. Stoo was beginning to protest and eventually prevailed. She's a sensible woman at times.

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 October 2010, 20:46   #9
RIBnet supporter

Town: Poole
Boat name: Black Adder+BabyBlue
Make: Shearwater + Avon
Length: 8m +
Engine: TDi Diesel + Merc 60
MMSI: 235026679
Quote:
Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
I have decided to try and get some winter ribbing in, those nice flat sunny days should be fun.I have done it with my sib s before so why not my rib, i am interested in other members who do the same. Stories and plans, places to go and what you do to equip your self. Looking forward to it.
We've used our Rib for the last two winters (it's as long as we've had one) and have managed to get out every two or three weeks. Helmets certainly make it a lot more comfy if it starts to rain or sleet and are worth investing in - especially for the driver as everyone else seems to be OK with hoods as they can turn away from the wind and rain.
From Hythe, Bucklers Hard and Lymington are good in Winter as they are almost deserted which makes mooring so much easier.
We are now dry stacked at Saxon Wharf and fuel-up at Hythe so maybe we can meet up for a few runs this winter...
Old 03 October 2010, 21:05   #10

Boat name: Joy Ride
Make: Ribtec655CamelTrophy
Engine: 200 optimax
Some of the best days Ive had ribbing were on lough Corrib in the winter months. Would have to agree the warm gear (Balaclava a definite) is one of the biggest factors. Your crew will lose interest very quickly once they get cold, something the driver/I usually forget while under way!!
Old 03 October 2010, 21:22   #11

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Worth the wait
Make: Parker
Engine: Outboard
Keep going, some of the best leisure trips we have had, have been in the Winter months. The last 3 New Years day's have been out on the water, you virtually have it to yourself and a great hang over cure!
Like most things, a boat used regularly is better than being laid up for long periods. Proper preparation and good quality protection is key, once cold it is very difficult to warm up out on the water. Your feet, hands, head and face need protection, these normally get ignored in the summer. And dont forget the sun cream on very clear days!
Steve
Old 03 October 2010, 21:25   #12

Town: Chesterfield
Boat name: Sea Quell
Make: Picton Cobra
Engine: Mercury 150 4 Stroke
MMSI: 235038298
Keep going - I usually get out ribbin and diving every month of the year
.... keeps the batteries charged
Old 03 October 2010, 21:26   #13

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Keep going - I usually get out ribbin and diving every month of the year
.... keeps the batteries charged
Whitby in winter!!!!! You're a better man than me
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 October 2010, 21:28   #14

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
I did pb2 on a feb day with snow on the tops of the mountains but sunny and no wind or rain. I had a 2 t shirts, berghaus fleece and berghaus waterproof walking goretex jacket. At 20 mph the cold ripped through in 30 seconds and my hands in cotton gloves just died. Had to go back to the marina and get a decent thick winter boating jacket. It quite surprised me!!

Glorious flat weather though.
Old 03 October 2010, 21:45   #15
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Clothing

Further to HP's observations, clothing is key. Typically I use thermal "longs" (v.sexy ), warm shirt, fleece, hat/s, buff, ski gloves and a Fladen immersion suit to top it off. Walking boots and socks provide good foot protection.

Pic of donegaldan and his Amazing Flying Sofa with a Frozen Background...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Winter Ribbing.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	54728  
Old 03 October 2010, 22:03   #16

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Archangel
Engine: ETec 225
MMSI: 235063789
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Further to HP's observations, clothing is key. Typically I use thermal "longs" (v.sexy ), warm shirt, fleece, hat/s, buff, ski gloves and a Fladen immersion suit to top it off. Walking boots and socks provide good foot protection.
Years ago when I was a commercial fisherman, we used to keep our legs warm by wearing tights; yes, the kind you might find in your lady wife's chest of drawers. We also wore a towel around our necks fastened with an elastic band or tied in a knot. In my experience the cold is as big a danger at sea as anything else. With the cold comes tiredness, confusion, poor self-monitoring and the ability to use your hands. We were lucky back on the boats as we often had twin exhausts coming up through the deck and venting over the top of the wheel house. We used to hug these between strings of pots in order to keep warm.
Old 04 October 2010, 07:36   #17

Town: N. Pembrokeshire
Boat name: Various
Make: RIBs & Hovercraft
Length: 9m +
Engine: Outboards
MMSI: Various
RIBase
We work all winter too.....as has been said, some of the best boating to be had IMO.

SPX100 undersuit and ex RNLI drysuit. Fleece balaclava, ski goggles and neoprene gloves....

But, also have a pair of Gil helms gloves....toasty warm...swap between the neoprene and these depending on what we're doing.

Always carry a flask of something hot....one of the scientists brings along those instant warm coffee things....it's all the packaging that puts me off. Plus, I enjoy playing 'mother' serving tea

This is a picture of a Dolphin (with a larger than usual melon) from a pod of 6, showing off last December... taken while we were stopped off Newquay. Who says it's a semi resident /migratory population????
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BNose Jump Dec 09.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	54731  

Follow us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php...17306504953480
Razorbill RIBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 October 2010, 09:39   #18

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Keep it going... You wont regret it! We've had some GREAT days out in the winter months,less traffic on the roads,easy launching and fewer holidaymakers to get in the way too!Not TOO sure about encourageing Wilk with his Balaclava wearing though!!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 October 2010, 09:51   #19

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
This winter is the first winter I haven't been out regularly, but in my defence I didn't have a boat!

I wear a one piece Fladen suit, sometimes with a fleece underneath (depends how cold it is - the Fladen over just a t-shirt is warm enough most of the time - they are amazing suits and you very quickly cook inside them if you wear too much!).

Hands live in Thinsulate thermal gloves (not waterproof, but very warm and in the winter you tend not to do it in weather that sees lots of water coming over the side), and feet are a pair of thick thermal socks inside wellies, as otherwise your feet really suffer after an hour or so.

I have a Save Phace for really cold days or going into stinging rain, but normally don't bother with it, wind in the face is what blows the cobwebs away

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 October 2010, 10:29   #20

Town: Blackpool
Boat name: Magic II
Make: Tohatsu 6.1
Engine: Evinrude 115 E-tec
MMSI: 235050189
Send a message via Skype™ to kwil
Here is the cheap version of a Save Phace, but just remember to take it off before going ashore.

Keith
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0529.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	54732