Old 20 January 2005, 18:30   #21

Town: Lymington
Boat name: Farfetched
Make: Solent Ribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235021048
Just check your insurance company covers you solo.
Old 20 January 2005, 19:54   #22

Town: NIVELLES BELGIUM
Boat name: INDEPENDENT
Make: BWM RAPIER
Length: 9m +
Engine: Ob 2*250/2t yams hpd
MMSI: 235030702
Make a will .......
Jonatan
Old 20 January 2005, 21:06   #23

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Good advice here, Kernow!

One thing I would add is a method of getting back into the boat if you have the misfortune to be ejected. Going over the tube won't work on your own. Going over the transom will probably work, but you'll be very tired and possibly injured if you've left the boat at high speed. Consider keeping a boarding ladder of some sort attached. We have one of these attached to the A-frame: http://www.plastimo.com/catalogue/ar...D=1&ref=30410&
Sorted the link now... I think!
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2005, 21:14   #24

Town: Bangor,Co Down
Make: Gemini/ Avon
Length: 4m +
Re going solo

A spare aux. outboard would be good if you can carry it,oh,and a mobile phone to talk to someone if you loose power altogether.
Old 20 January 2005, 23:46   #25

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmanning
Yeah, yeah. You're only saying that because you've got no mates.

DM
Oh dear and I thought you were my only mate!
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2005, 12:52   #26

Town: Inverkip
Make: Redbay 11m Cabin
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x Yamaha422Sti 275
I quite often do solo night trips in all kinds of weather and basically do the following;
Call into the Coast Guard with depature point/time and ETA.....remember to call them back when you arrive
Always wear a lifejacket
Get the boat ready for the trip prior to letting go, i.e trunks down, fenders away etc
Have the Flare box accessable and easy to grap....you never know.
I also carry a Icom IcM1 EuroV clipped onto myself, so that in the event that I do have to bail out I still have communication
Most importantly kepp the boat maintained for as sure as shit follows piss it will break down on a right stoorie night when your solo.

I enjoy being on the boat myself and find it great to "Chill".
Andy
Old 21 January 2005, 13:34   #27

Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
Good advice here, Kernow!

One thing I would add is a method of getting back into the boat if you have the misfortune to be ejected. Going over the tube won't work on your own. Going over the transom will probably work, but you'll be very tired and possibly injured if you've left the boat at high speed. Consider keeping a boarding ladder of some sort attached. We have one of these attached to the A-frame: http://www.plastimo.com/catalogue/ar...D=1&ref=30410&
Sorted the link now... I think!
A lenght of rope with a loop tied in the end and secured inside the boat somewhere works just as well, just make sure its looped though a grab handle so you can reach in and pull it through should you need it.
Old 21 January 2005, 13:41   #28

Town: Manchester - Abersoc
Boat name: MeMe
Make: SeaPro 595CC
Engine: Mercury 115 4S
Send a message via MSN to MeMe
Many, if no all........

......experienced single handed yachtsmen (yes yes and bloody yachtswomen) trail a length (50 metres) of lightweight floating line from the stern.

My brother, who is a pro' skipper (30 mtr sloop) found his a life saver whilst crossing the pond in the 1994 A.R.C Race. He lost his footing and was pitched over the side whilst not wearing his harness. Luckily, winds were light and the drag was not so fierce enabeling him to pull himself to the stern and disengage the self steering (wind vane type) bringing the nose into the wind.

Following this event he became "Mr Safety Harness". Fate as it is, he now believes he was thrown over for a reason, that being, that on the return leg he went over the side again during a storm and was dragged alongside the boat for a good 10 minutes before he was able to gather his wits and climb aboard. If it had not been for the first occurance, more then likely he wouldn't be here today.

His yacht was called "Shuffle" and was the smallest vessel at 24ft to take part in the race. He finished last arriving on Christmas Day. Upon arrival he "stood too" thinking there was some sort of official parade taking place in the harbour, however he was informed over the VHF that the greeting parade was for him and was in fact bigger than the one for the winner. (Probubaly because they had all already arrived by then......anyway, I'm rambling.

In conclusion, whilst trailing a 50mrt warp from the tail of a RIB ain't the best idea. What about the use of a harness combined with a kill cord ???
Old 21 January 2005, 13:46   #29

Town: Manchester - Abersoc
Boat name: MeMe
Make: SeaPro 595CC
Engine: Mercury 115 4S
Send a message via MSN to MeMe
I keep one of these on board.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilge Rat
A lenght of rope with a loop tied in the end and secured inside the boat somewhere works just as well
.........it's light, easy to use, doesn't take up any room and can be left dangling whilst on the move. Cheap as well. Alternatively, get some old seatbelt strapping and get your local "old fashioned cobbler" to stich it together - that's exactly what I did.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	strap1.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	10131  
Old 21 January 2005, 14:41   #30

Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMe
.........it's light, easy to use, doesn't take up any room and can be left dangling whilst on the move. Cheap as well. Alternatively, get some old seatbelt strapping and get your local "old fashioned cobbler" to stich it together - that's exactly what I did.

MeMe that the idea thing to have, cheap and easy to stow, its really only when your out alone that you need to take these sorts of precautions, a short lenght of rope or a strap tied off to a seat back rest and looped through a grab handle is really easy to make up and takes no thought or time at all to rig.
An A frame will also help and i use mine to re board in the summer if i stop for a swim, it just a matter of pulling ones self up and swinging a leg over to get in, though i've not tried doing it in freezing conditions wearing lots of clothing, boots an water proofs