JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Going down in size

I'm seriously considering going down to a smaller boat than the 5.4m SR due to single handed launching/recovery. Just trying to decide what small boat's I could live with for the money I'd get for my Searider.
Loved my 4m searider but could do with a bit more space so a 4.7m would be grand but not realistic due to availability. (Unless someone wants to go rob Rougewaves? )

The market for an old boat at the 4.7m kind of size is not very wide.
This looks ok but not sure what kind of price it will go for http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4-5MTR-CHINOOK-RIB-BOAT-WITH-ENGINE_W0QQitemZ200324295740QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_ CarsParts_Vehicles_Boat_Engines_EngineParts_SM?has h=item200324295740&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms= 66%3A4|65%3A10|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Or maybe just putting a lighter engine on the back of mine would be the answer?

Had a few things happen over the weekend and the beginning of this week with my health that have left me hanging on to any kind of trailer boating by the skin of my teeth.
Old 26 March 2009, 16:43   #2

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
John

Sorry to hear about the problems you're having.

However I'd respectfully suggest a 5.4SR shouldn't be any more difficult to launch than a 4.7, its all about the trailer set up etc.

There must be a better way.

I prefer not to, but can launch and recover my 6.5 by myself, and there are a lot of others on here do it too.

I know your situation is slightly different because of your health, but I'd be asking for help about setting the boat/trailer up better for single handed than downsizing the boat.

Nasher.
Old 26 March 2009, 16:46   #3

Town: Here
Boat name: doggypaddle
Make: Avon 5.4 Searider
Engine: yamaha 80
I wouldnt have thought a 4.7sr would be massively different to a 5.4?
there is only 75kgs weight difference. Perhaps you should look at lighter constructed ribs, avons aren't known for being light.
Whats your problem with the weight john? I have always found mine really easy to get on and off the trailer, (swingbeam trailer) as long as its a decent slip and not too flat. I know you have to be careful not to strain yourself so would an electric winch and a swingbeam trailer with guide rails help you?
Old 26 March 2009, 16:50   #4

Town: Here
Boat name: doggypaddle
Make: Avon 5.4 Searider
Engine: yamaha 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
John

Sorry to hear about the problems you're having.

However I'd respectfully suggest a 5.4SR shouldn't be any more difficult to launch than a 4.7, its all about the trailer set up etc.

There must be a better way.

I prefer not to, but can launch and recover my 6.5 by myself, and there are a lot of others on here do it too.

I know your situation is slightly different because of your health, but I'd be asking for help about setting the boat/trailer up better for single handed than downsizing the boat.

Nasher.

I have to say i am inclined to agree with nasher, my sr Finds its own way off the trailer, too easily sometimes as you can't put any slack in the winch to unhook the winch because the boats off on its own.
back in is easy too even on a really steep slip, especially last time at camber because i just watched MRS NOS4R2 winch it on for me
had a bunk trailer before .......bloody hard work.
Old 26 March 2009, 17:06   #5
JSP

Cheers for the replies lads. Very good points but I think I've got the trailer balanced up for ease of launch as well as having the right nose weight. Launching really isn't the issue it seems to be recovery. Forgot to say DP, it's a swingbeam roller coaster type. Electric winches like have been discussed in another thread is a quick fix.
I do have the opportunity to have it on a mooring for the same price as having it on the hard standing but would need to seal that hull up for good. And as far as I know, you need to start from the inside to do a proper glassing over?
Plus it's a river mooring so could be nicked very easily.

With out sounding stupid (not easy for me ) I'm not a small fella, I've always been known for my strength but trouble is it's like having a V8 with a minis' heads glued on.

Am a tad fecked off!
Old 26 March 2009, 17:07   #6
JSP

Rougewave said the same thing to me a few days ago about the weight difference between the 4.7 and 5.4. I think it's the donkey on the back of mine though.
Old 26 March 2009, 17:33   #7
exspyrd trayd membir

Town: inn wiliks hed
Make: Redbay 6.5
Engine: Twin Etec 90hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSP View Post
Launching really isn't the issue it seems to be recovery.
jus dryve de fkker onn. wen de winichman iz pind agin de bakk windoe ov de trukk, dats de tyme too throttul orf. werks wiv tracter dryvers az wel

gaRf
Old 26 March 2009, 17:48   #8
JSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Garfish View Post
jus dryve de fkker onn. wen de winichman iz pind agin de bakk windoe ov de trukk, dats de tyme too throttul orf. werks wiv tracter dryvers az wel

gaRf
GaRfy boy, not seen you around for abit, was getting worried. Not got the hang of driving it on and getting over the bow to attach the winch before the fecker floats back off again. Think I'm putting the trailer to far in?
Old 26 March 2009, 18:11   #9

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
This is how you do it, just watch the last 20secs.

Old 26 March 2009, 18:15   #10
JSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
This is how you do it, just watch the last 20secs.

Have to say I'm only starting to have problems with this new slip I'm using (new to me anyway). Didn't have as much a problem at knott end.
Old 26 March 2009, 19:09   #11

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
..Not got the hang of driving it on and getting over the bow to attach the winch before the fecker floats back off again.
Do you leave it in forward gear with the engine idling?
Old 26 March 2009, 20:32   #12
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
JSP,

Even if your hull completely floods then the tubes will keep it afloat so getting it 100% water tight is not as essential as for a hardboat. If it was mine I would be happy enough with (1) the flooding hull sealed up - a plate screwed and sikaflexed would keep me happy (2) some sort of pump or drain from the deck that could be left in place.

Assuming I could get down to check on her every week or two.

I would want some sort of access to drain/pumpout the hull every time I went out.

Sounds like a weekends work.

Won't deal with the security issue - but presumably old SRs are nicked for joyrides rather than their black market value - so some locks etc to put the scallies off might be enough (and good insurance!).
Old 26 March 2009, 20:35   #13
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
GaRfy boy, not seen you around for abit, was getting worried. Not got the hang of driving it on and getting over the bow to attach the winch before the fecker floats back off again. Think I'm putting the trailer to far in?
I've seen a set up where a long piece of plastic waste pipe (white stuff used for sinks etc) was lashed to the front of the trailer and used to hang a rope over the boat... then the single handed skipped drove on, reached above his head, pulled in on the rope and tied it off. Before moving forward to hook up the winch etc.
Old 26 March 2009, 21:02   #14
JSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
Do you leave it in forward gear with the engine idling?
I'm too paranoid to do that. Would have visions of a bird perching on the throttle and the boat going forward. Sod's law is the main law around me
Old 26 March 2009, 21:09   #15
JSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
JSP,

Even if your hull completely floods then the tubes will keep it afloat so getting it 100% water tight is not as essential as for a hardboat. If it was mine I would be happy enough with (1) the flooding hull sealed up - a plate screwed and sikaflexed would keep me happy (2) some sort of pump or drain from the deck that could be left in place.

Assuming I could get down to check on her every week or two.

I would want some sort of access to drain/pumpout the hull every time I went out.

Sounds like a weekends work.

Won't deal with the security issue - but presumably old SRs are nicked for joyrides rather than their black market value - so some locks etc to put the scallies off might be enough (and good insurance!).

It's the flooding hull that puts me off leaving it on a mooring. Have been told by a few that they always end up with water in the hull which I guess comes from the twin drains in the deck? And think I've read somewhere that searider decks aren't suited to have a access hole cut into them? Could be wrong on all counts though.
MikeCC who had the boat before me put a bilge pump inside the hull but it wouldn't work when I came to use it. Took me an hour to get the little fecker out of the back hole! I've now got a pump on the deck using the same wire's he put in.
Tell me, am I just being over the top here? Life's a little puddled at the moment and the RIB's my escape.
Old 26 March 2009, 21:14   #16

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Would have visions of a bird perching on the throttle and the boat going forward.
I've heard there's some big fkin birds in Southport, but...
Old 26 March 2009, 21:19   #17
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Tell me, am I just being over the top here? Life's a little puddled at the moment and the RIB's my escape.
I'm not sure - someone who has owned a SR would be better placed to say - but I would be surprised if (1) you can't seal the drains effectively (2) you can't find a way to get a pump (or tube for a suitable pump) below the deck.
Old 26 March 2009, 22:19   #18

Town: Dartmouth
Boat name: Puffling
Make: Avon Rover 3.4m
Engine: Mercury 15hp
Send a message via MSN to badbaws
one question..

If you are doing single handed recovery then you would have had to get out the boat, go ashore collect trailer and car and come back to water.. So once trailer is set up ready to go, drive in, turn engine off, jump over side and secure on the trailer strap..

An Avon searider owner's best friend is a drysuit!!
Old 26 March 2009, 22:46   #19

Town: Fareham
In my experience the only difference in recovering different sized craft single handed is the force of the side wind and whether you use a sheltered or exposed slip.

I recover my 6.2m RIB with the same ease that I recovered my old RIB which was a meter smaller using a sheltered slip in the Harbour.

I used to use the drive on method with my old RIB but was worried about sucking up too much Seabed as I churned it up a bit. So these days I part reverse my trailer into the water (rear wheels level with water). Walk the boat onto the rear rollers, this I can do really easily now as the water depth isn't too deep for my wellies. Connect and tension the winch strap a bit and finish reversing the car so RIB and trailer are in deeper water. Get out and start to winch. This is made easier if you have a two speed winch.

I prefer recovering single handed. Even if I get offers of help, I tend to decline their offers because I forget to do things when other people are involved. This is a method that I would be at ease using with an even larger RIB.

So, my advice is to find a slip that is well protected from wind and waves.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2009, 23:22   #20

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
It is mostly down to technique. Many people make the mistake of putting the trailer in too deep and trying to float the boat on - the rollers can't do their job and the boat goes sideways all the time.

IF the location allows the best bet is to drive the boat on. You power up until the bow is up to the winch. step over the bow and just clip on.

I remember watching an old guy in Mumbles recovering quite a big fishing boat on his own. The tide was so far out he drove onto the sand at the bottom of the slip in his old Volvo 240 RWD car. It took him about 5 mins - a joy to watch. Then 2 young blokes came to recover their 15' speedboat - it took them ages and they managed to get their 4x4 Frontera stuck!!!

Hope you get better soon!!!