Old 27 November 2006, 20:55   #1

Town: Galway
Boat name: rockhopper
Make: ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: petrol
MMSI: TBC
Going Ballistic 6.5

Hello Chaps, I am a bit new at this but having read this forum over the past week, its even better than reading (or waiting to read) the next edition of Rib international.

I am in the process of buying Ballistic 6.5 two years old driven by Johnson 140 HP 4 stroke with very few hours on it. It looks a fine boat and if I can believe everything that Rib International says about the 7.8mtr (even though they would have to given such access to at least 4 of them), what does anyone think of the boat and or engine.

I reckon the Johnson is identical to the Suzuki which I found quite and smooth using 70 hp Suzuki on my last boat.
Also looked at very nice ribeye sport with only 115 HP Four Yam on the back with low hours. I guess the engine is not enough for this deep v boat but the difference in purchase price would change the engine.
Anyone any ideas on the performance of the Verado 150 HP. Love the idea of drive by wire and low down tork. Though I must say,250verado Int report versus other three put me off. Sorry for all the YAP, I have been waiting to register and did so today...
Old 27 November 2006, 21:22   #2

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Ballistics are great boats - very fast and corner like they are on rails.

Verados are great engines but I think they are too expensive - too heavy and too complicated. That's a lot of toos....

Go for the lightest 150 you can find - often the 200hp will be the same weight as a 150 as many use the same block.
Old 27 November 2006, 21:22   #3

Town: HERNE BAY
Boat name: Coastalbuzz
Make: Brill Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250suzuki/6/5/5
MMSI: tba
verado

before you go down the verado route find out if any of your local dealers for merc will do it, none down here will due to the dealer costs. It sounded bad news as my services may well have also been less easy to haggle as he has to lay out so much dosh.

If you are going to have a long term relationship thinks about the costs of all those lovelly new bits. I have decided to give it a miss.
I know they are lovely smooth etc I just don't think it was for me.
mike
Old 27 November 2006, 22:41   #4

Hi Codprawn and mike

I was going to reply to you both but I should wait until the more serious matter of the missing boy is found.

However the boat I am looking at is for sale as follows
http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F120079/

See what you both think. I kinda like the fact that it has the bench rather than a further two Jockey seats as the two younger kids will sit there if too rough on the bow.

Also like the fact Johnson is same as Suzuki.

Dont really have the money for a new one... Lucky to get this one as I am building a house and sold my last boat.... You know what will happen to that money....AllaKazam Whoosh! its turned into a Kitchen. Yes people, My wife is a magician, she can turn a boat into a kitcken. Not too many can do that.

Your comments please,
Old 27 November 2006, 23:10   #5
alt

Town: Galway, West Eire
Make: Cranchi
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2 x Volvo KAD300
Send a message via MSN to alt
Thats a sweet looking machine. Not my idea of a RIB, but sweet none the less

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan View Post
I was going to reply to you both but I should wait until the more serious matter of the missing boy is found.

However the boat I am looking at is for sale as follows
http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F120079/

See what you both think. I kinda like the fact that it has the bench rather than a further two Jockey seats as the two younger kids will sit there if too rough on the bow.

Also like the fact Johnson is same as Suzuki.

Dont really have the money for a new one... Lucky to get this one as I am building a house and sold my last boat.... You know what will happen to that money....AllaKazam Whoosh! its turned into a Kitchen. Yes people, My wife is a magician, she can turn a boat into a kitcken. Not too many can do that.

Your comments please,
Old 27 November 2006, 23:15   #6

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan View Post

Your comments please,
They can all do that
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2006, 23:24   #7

They can all do that!!!

Yes Jizm, but not with the same style or speed......
Old 27 November 2006, 23:30   #8

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Looks fine to me. Should be quite cheap to run.

Have a look at

http://www.ribsforsale.com/index.asp

If you haven't already - RIVA who posts on here may be able to do you a good deal.
Old 28 November 2006, 06:19   #9

Length: no boat
I tried a 6m ballistic the other day with a everiude 175 - great boat very impressed with it

Steve
Old 28 November 2006, 07:28   #10

Town: Hampshire
Make: Ribcraft 6.5
Engine: Suzuki 175hp
Ballistic and Ribeye

I have heard great things about the Ballistic and know of someone buying the 6.5m.

I would stay clear of the ribeye, the quality of finish can be poor and they are not really built for any rough sea's. You could look at a Ribcraft as a suitable alternative. There is quite a good one on this site somewhere.
Old 28 November 2006, 09:02   #11

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
I looked at this one too & liked it a lot, also looked at ribeye & for me the ballistic wins! I did think this one was a bit under powered though, but 35 Knots ant too bad!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0957.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	23462   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0506.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	23463  
Old 28 November 2006, 10:16   #12

Verado 150

Hi Guys, yeah looked at Ribtec. I think I am a fair weather ribber tho.
Dont need the Sh.. scared of me. I think I will be doing more "HarbourHopping" perhaps a few Tea time Pints than Blue Watering. Had too much of that in Off shore Yachts.

Looked at Ribtec but a bit heavy duty for me.

Hi COdprawn yeah did look at Ribs for sale, in fact studied them and Boats and Outboards stc. I nearly have a degree in the boats and prices at this stage. Thought of Verado but I guess its easier to fix drive by cable than drive by wire. I couldnt buy a 150 two stroke even tho the Etac looks cool. I guess its resale value as a Choker Stroker (regardless of how good the etec and clean it actually is) so I chickened out and went 4 stroke.

The Ballistic seem to have a good reputation and Jason was quick to get back to me and follow up somewhat.

By the way I was looking back to Jan 06 Rib Int report on the Ballistics and the 4 engines. Poor Riva took some hammering...

Here is one for you Codprawn.. Its understandable for people to go on the attack when figures are misrepresented to their gain and furthermore when compounded with what looked like a bot of arrogance poor Bas...
However Its incredible that they over looked the 8100 rpm and indeed bypassed the Low consumption of Suzuki too. What I thought was missed altogether was the very high consumption of the Verado.
Its the smallest engine size and guzzles the most juice by far. Its not from over reving so where is it gone. If I was Mercury, I would be most concerned by these figures.
Furthermore when the lads took the boat to Paris, the figures looked miles (forgive the pun) out leaving them shot at the Needles.

I think the Rib Int is a great Mag and I am looking forward to this issue which I am still waiting on.
I would agree with who ever mentioned in that report that HMS was not being himself when it came to analysing the data as anyone who was being objective would have had issues with the Figs. I know they changed teh Suzuki figs later but according to the "Rib users who have them" all these figs are south of the mark.

Any sign of the missing boy yet?
Old 28 November 2006, 14:26   #13

Boat name: Emperor
Make: Scorpion
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 200hp
Send a message via MSN to Millermob
Aidan check your pm box.
Old 28 November 2006, 15:05   #14

Town: London
Length: no boat
Talking of Ribcraft - has anyone seen or heard of anything on the Ribcraft 750 Sport?