Old 23 May 2013, 20:03   #21

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leapy View Post

I'm sure I've read of that on the forum. Have you looked?
Just looked. Nothing
Old 23 May 2013, 20:04   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister p View Post

Have you ever used those inflatable key ring things that came about as a result of Dragon's Den.......they'd be useful security if it all went tits up.
IIRC they won't float a camera. Designed for keys only

No good for keeping tits up either allegedly
Old 23 May 2013, 20:12   #23

Town: London
Length: 4m +
Yeah, can't find anything about a flickering setup screen, I really hope its not faulty, does anyone else have a similar problem with the LCD Backpack?
Old 23 May 2013, 20:16   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjmehra View Post
Yeah, can't find anything about a flickering setup screen, I really hope its not faulty, does anyone else have a similar problem with the LCD Backpack?
I'd be tempted to try a hard reset.

http://goprouser.freeforums.org/read...es-t10623.html

Item 6 in the link tells you how.
Old 23 May 2013, 20:29   #25

Hmm well that didn't fix the flickering, the wifi works fine now though, thought that may require a lot more messing around!
Old 23 May 2013, 23:16   #26

Town: swanage
Make: Thundercat
Engine: Tohatsu 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister p View Post

Have you ever used those inflatable key ring things that came about as a result of Dragon's Den.......they'd be useful security if it all went tits up.
Never used them but might be a good idea! Ive always been careful with mine though & so not had any close calls!
Old 24 May 2013, 00:47   #27

Quote:
Hmm well that didn't fix the flickering, the wifi works fine now though, thought that may require a lot more messing around!
Three things then that I'd do ...

1. Start again from scratch by reflashing the firmware per Rambo's instructions on the GP Forum.
2. If that doesn't work I'd post up on the GP forum with as much detail as you can. Post it in the H3 Black section ... there's a core of really knowledgable guys. Somebody might know something although there's clearly not a big issue out there otherwise there'd be an obvious thread. The screen appears to be used a lot by the multi-camera guys.
3. Get the lcd swapped out at wherever you bought it. Out of interest, where was that? I got all my stuff from DogCamSport who have been helpful to me although my own questions haven't been difficult.

Let me know how you get on ...
Old 24 May 2013, 08:30   #28

Cool, sent an e-mail to Go-Pro and posted in the forum (here's the link in case anyone else is having the same issue):

Go Pro Hero 3 Black & LCD Touch Backpack Flicker - GoPro Forum, Classifieds and Support

I got mine from a shop called Ask, on Tottenham Court Road, they do have a website too, Welcome to AskDirect - HD Ready LCD & Plasma TVs, Notebook Computers, Digital Cameras

If its definitely faulty, it shouldn't be an issue to get it replaced either with them, or Go Pro I guess, but I just want to be sure it definitely is broken as opposed to just being a lowish quality screen!
Old 24 May 2013, 08:59   #29

Quote:
If its definitely faulty, it shouldn't be an issue to get it replaced either with them, or Go Pro I guess, but I just want to be sure it definitely is broken as opposed to just being a lowish quality screen!
The screen's not low quality ... my H3 running a H2 screen is good quality - hard to be anything else at that size - and flicker free (though there are some cropping issues with this set up which are acknowledged and caused by different software H3 to H2: no big deal really and certainly doesn't justify me buying an H3 screen).

Are you able to go to the shop and try a different screen? Just because the screen flickers doesn't actually mean it's the screen's fault. Could be the camera? I don't believe there's much in the way of intelligence in the screen: it simply displays the signal it's fed.

BTW: THIS is the forum I use
Old 24 May 2013, 09:22   #30

Hmm from what you say, sounds like mine could be faulty...

I've posted in the forum you mentioned too, so lets see what people say!

GoPro User Forum • View topic - Go Pro Hero 3 Black & LCD Touch Backpack Flicker
Old 24 May 2013, 09:46   #31

Quote:
I've posted in the forum you mentioned too, so lets see what people say!
Old 24 May 2013, 11:33   #32
Dhf

Quote:
So far downloaded the firmware updated and all seems to be well...I think!

Out of curiosity, my LCD Backpack screen flickers quite noticeably on the settings page (basically any dark background). Is that normal, its slightly annoying, if not exactly the end of the world. I know its not a great screen, more for practicality than great quality, so was wondering if this is standard behaviour, or is mine faulty?
Right I've just checked mine and I'm also noticing slight flicker whilst on the setting menu, mainly top half of the screen, must say I didn't notice this before, as you say it only seems to happen on the settings menu, and not when filming dark subjects, I reckon its all down to the black screen settings format. but can't see it effecting usage in any way.

One thing I've noticed is when deleting footage, using the lcd settings menu, it dosn't always work, so I recommend formating the memory when conneted to pc, that seems to work fine.
Old 24 May 2013, 12:06   #33

Yep, the way you describe the flickering is exactly what I see! I haven't checked the memory card to check if its deleting properly, will check that!
Old 24 May 2013, 12:59   #34
Dhf

You must have 20/20 vision I'd say, as I only noticed when I put my spectigoggles on, I'd say its nothing to worry about, infact I'm sure I've noticed this type of flikering on other lcd menu screens.

I forgot to mention I got mine with my rgos card, with 10month to repay, and was told any probs with camera to take back to local store for refund or replacment, so if mine do play up I've only gotta travel 5mile to replace.

The lcd screen is great for familiarizing yourself with the settings and as a view finder of course, but the more I'm using the camera, the less I'm using the screen, and as mentioned they chew the battery.

I would say use and familiarize yourself more with the wifi remote, at least that's what I'm doing, as the last time I went out on me RIB I was thrown from the helm to deck, whilst head down trying to figure the darn wifi. and yes I did have my KC on and it worked
Old 24 May 2013, 13:09   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonhawk ficht View Post
I would say use and familiarize yourself more with the wifi remote, at least that's what I'm doing, as the last time I went out on me RIB I was thrown from the helm to deck, whilst head down trying to figure the darn wifi. and yes I did have my KC on and it worked
Nice one ...
Old 24 May 2013, 13:59   #36

To be fair I did get my eyes lasered!!

What you've described is exactly what I see on mine, not a massive issue I know, but it frustrates me when something doesn't work quite how I expected!
Old 29 May 2013, 20:10   #37

Ok, so first weekend with the Go Pro...its on the 'other' kind of boat, but I was really impressed with the video quality, although not sure how to upload in HD to Youtube?

Here it is:

Sailing from Cowes to Poole - YouTube

I didn't have the right mounts, so need to get some more for sailing & ribbing, other than the suction cup mount what do people suggest?

Also, I still haven't fixed the screen flicker issue, as you can see there is no issue with the video itself, its just on the menu options, so any ideas on that appreciated (I am talking to Go Pro themselves too).
Old 29 May 2013, 20:25   #38

Make: Joker Booat
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 70
Great quality vid. What settings did you use ?

I use a handlebar clamp and a roll bar clamp. The handlebar clamp fits the grab rail and the roll bar fits the 2" A frame.
Old 29 May 2013, 20:45   #39

1080p, 48 FPS & FOV: Medium

Yeah the clamps sound like a good idea...looks like I may have to get the credit card out again :-)
Old 29 May 2013, 21:30   #40

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
Very good vid - I think the picture quality from these is amazing.

I had a friend in the States bring me over a Hero 3 Black last week, ready for a long weekend's sailing trip to Sark (which sadly meant I missed the forum Round the Island trip though).

Have only edited a short trailer so far (), but I'm still surprised by the quality from such a small unit, as I normally carry full frame SLR's with large lenses attached!

I need more mounts as well - this was all shot on a headstrap, as my rail mount failed to arrive in time for the trip. A good reminder though - the rail mount is in the office post system somewhere, so I'd better remember to pick it up tomorrow!

Looking forward to using it on the RIB!