Old 07 September 2007, 00:12   #1

Length: 3m +
Glue on Navigation Lights

Does anyone know of any navigation lights that meet these requirements?

Self-powered
(Red / green)
Can be glued onto the PVC of a Zodiac
Here is the difficult one… Usable above 7 knots?

Why are the ones I find only rated to 7 knots? Do they need a larger footing to get more glue surface area to be used above 7 knots?

I have found the one pictured below but it isn’t usable above 7 knots. I don’t plan on using it too often, I don’t want to go over 7 knots during the night but I might want it installed during the day to keep it out of the way if I know I will be using it later that night. But I want to be able to go over 7 knots without the thing being ripped off.
Attached Images

Old 07 September 2007, 05:36   #2

Town: Scillies
Boat name: Freedom
Make: Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 2st 90
There are tie on battery powered ones available. I got some from my local chandler last year for around £20.

Ian
Old 07 September 2007, 06:41   #3

Town: Bristol
Length: 5m +
It 'may' (but not 100% sure) be to do with the change of requirements for lighting a vessel rated faster than 7knots rather than the ability of them to stick to the boat.

There is a comprehensive annex to the IRCPS regading vessel lighting, that might, well.............shed some light on the matter

Google, IRPCS Lights, and I expect you will find more.

Regards,

Orve.
Old 07 September 2007, 15:11   #4

Town: Oakland CA
Silver^2;

Never found the answer to your question (though, to be honest, I never looked that hard, either.)

I used the lights you pictured on my 14' Achilles from time to time; never had anyone say anything. Got pretty tired of the way they ran through batteries, but mine were incandescents (do they have LED's avaialbe now?)

I suppose if you wanted to be completely legal, you could get a strap-on lightboard for the bow made up with actual nav lights, with a detachable cord running back to power (make sure it's securely mounted, since the regs are picky about viewing angles.) Since you'll need an anchor light at night anyway, you'd probably want to mount a white all-around on a pole on the transom. For a small boat, LED lights would be the way to go (less current draw.)

jky
Old 07 September 2007, 17:26   #5

Town: Christiansted.V.I.
Boat name: Froggy
Make: Avon SeaRider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Johnson 50
Seven Knots?

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_silver View Post
Here is the difficult one… Usable above 7 knots?

Why are the ones I find only rated to 7 knots? Do they need a larger footing to get more glue surface area to be used above 7 knots?

I have found the one pictured below but it isn’t usable above 7 knots

But I want to be able to go over 7 knots without the thing being ripped off.
Is there a regulation that you cannot use a single beam split lense above seven knots? That is the exact light I use on my 4.7 Searider. They make a companion stern light as well. I used epoxy to glue the base to the bow and glued the stern base to the outboard engine cover. There is no possibility of either the base coming loose and the light is well attached to the base.
Old 07 September 2007, 17:44   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
Silver^2;

Got pretty tired of the way they ran through batteries, but mine were incandescents (do they have LED's avaialbe now?)

For a small boat, LED lights would be the way to go (less current draw.)

jky
jyasaki: Mine are LED's and I have considerable time on them with no battery drain on the initial set. That brand of light is also very well constructed, watertight and just right!

The brand is: Innovative Lighting Inc (Solid State)

Since I permanently attached the bases to the boat I did drill out the hole in the post on each light to make it easier to hit the hole with the hitch pin. The hole in the rubber base is the original size and the fit between the post and sleeve on the base is tight so there is wobble due to the larger hole in the post.
Old 07 September 2007, 17:49   #7

Ahem..type much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas View Post
The hole in the rubber base is the original size and the fit between the post and sleeve on the base is tight so there is NO wobble due to the larger hole in the post.
What a difference an N and O can make to a statement.
Old 08 September 2007, 01:20   #8

Town: Oakland CA
Tomas;

As I said, I never found out exactly what it is that limits those lights to 7 knots. I suspect it's the fact that both red and green are visible for an extended angle off the keel axis, but I have no info to back that up.

FWIW, I had about 3 or 4 sets of the IL lights (though mine were incandescent); they all suffered from water intrusion while waiting to be used (kept in a bucket next to the fuel tank; along with the depth finder when not in use, spare carabiners, etc.)

jky
Old 08 September 2007, 14:58   #9

Da Rule

Quote cut from US CG Regs.

Vessels of less than 20 meters in length should show red/green sidelights (or a combined bow light), a white sternlight, and a white masthead light located in the forward half of the craft. Vessels of less than 12 meters in length may show red and green sidelights (or a combined bow light) and an all-round white light in lieu of separate masthead and sternlights. Vessels of less than 7 meters with a top speed of less than 7 knots may, in lieu of normal running lights, show an all-round white light and, if practicable, red and green sidelights (International Rules only). There are distinguishing lights for towing vessels, fishing vessels, pilot boats, air-cushion vessels, and other special types of vessels and vessels in special situations. Be sure to check the Navigation Rules for proper light locations and ranges of visibility.

I think that most of these regulations have been unified into an international compliance to assure similar results, regardless of the water one plies. The 7 know rule as listed here doesn't even require Port/Starboard lights, only a white. Vessels up to 20 meters may use a combined bow light.

Jky, I keep mine in a dry box under the jocky console with my flares and other "perishable" have however run into head seas at night for several hours and could detect no leakage. The set I have appear to be very well made and well sealed, FYI.