Old 23 February 2006, 18:40   #41

Town: Nottingham
Length: no boat
RIBase
Magic marine 3mm Neoprene seam sealed gloves. I'm waering them at the moment for safety boat work, and have been right through the winter. Always reaching into the water, but being neoprene, after the cold water shock it makes no difference. Great dexterity, i can de-rig a sailing boat without taking my gloves off.

Coldest i've used them for boating is -4 air temp, 2 degree water for a day, and they were only a little cold. The're also my dive glove, and are excellent for that too.

andy
Old 23 February 2006, 20:29   #42

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_Rs600
Magic marine 3mm Neoprene seam sealed gloves. I'm waering them at the moment for safety boat work, and have been right through the winter. Always reaching into the water, but being neoprene, after the cold water shock it makes no difference. Great dexterity, i can de-rig a sailing boat without taking my gloves off.

Coldest i've used them for boating is -4 air temp, 2 degree water for a day, and they were only a little cold. The're also my dive glove, and are excellent for that too.

andy
I've got those. They cut off my circulation, they are a bugger to get on when your hands are wet and I've managed to rip them on a join.

Marks out of 10 = 5.
Old 23 February 2006, 20:33   #43

Town: Salisbury
Boat name: Blue C
Make: XS 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: 125hp Opti
MMSI: 235082826/235909566
Top tip if your hands or gloves are wet, then I put on a plastic glove, (the type they supply in fuel stations) first. Gloves then slip on easily.

Brian
Old 23 February 2006, 21:02   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbypower
Top tip if your hands or gloves are wet, then I put on a plastic glove, (the type they supply in fuel stations) first. Gloves then slip on easily.

Brian
Brian,

A couple of people have said this. So thats the route I'm going to go down.

It would seem the manufacturers haven't invented the perfect glove yet.

Unfortunately encasing your hands in a non breathable rubber glove must have some health implications. Therefore I think it should be done carefully.
Old 23 February 2006, 21:10   #45

RIBase
What are you doing to your gloves???????? Mine have lasted nearly tow years of being used at least 100 days a year......
Old 24 February 2006, 18:23   #46

Quote:
What are you doing to your gloves???????? Mine have lasted nearly tow years of being used at least 100 days a year......
getting wet hands. Because I have to trailer launch my boat and coz its only little it gets waves spalshing over it.

Looking at the size of your boat Andy I should imagine you need to go out in a Force 8 to feel the swell.
Old 24 February 2006, 19:08   #47

Town: York
Boat name: Hi Flyer
Make: Humber - Ocean Pro
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 140hp
MMSI: 235033234
What Gloves

I use 5mm neoprene for diving - use down to 3 degrees. Take a hit when water first gets in but the water warms up and helps keep you warm after that. If you don't like peeling them off then buy a pack of disposable rubber gloves to fit inside. No the best for ribbing though - not enough movement. I was speaking to RNLI chap last week. Told me they use 3mm neoprene gloves to improve flexibility. If its good enough for them ......
Old 25 February 2006, 00:28   #48

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles
getting wet hands. Because I have to trailer launch my boat and coz its only little it gets waves spalshing over it.

Looking at the size of your boat Andy I should imagine you need to go out in a Force 8 to feel the swell.
Most of my driving is in 4.6m safety boats, and i have to reach into the water every time, so my hands are always wet

I'm interested in what you do that makes you have to take your gloves off. I recommend 3mm neoprene to all my powerboat students, and maybe i've been giving them dodgy advice.
Old 25 February 2006, 18:15   #49

I took my gloves off the other day when I went in the bar.

Then because they had got wet on our travels when I went to put them back on when we left I could only get my hand in 3/4 s of the way.

I have used the totally waterproof gloves but they once again when you get your hands wet they are a nightmare to put on.

I'm going to give the blue rubber gloves a try next time.

With regards teaching your students the wrong thing, it might be worthwhile modifying your training program slightly as it would appear that quite a lot of folk on here have suffered or suffer the same sort of problems as me. This thread has generated quite a lot of interest.
Old 27 February 2006, 13:29   #50

Town: Crosshaven
Boat name: Black Shield
Make: Ribcraft 585
Engine: Suzuki 140
Gloves

Quote:
I'm interested in what you do that makes you have to take your gloves off. I recommend 3mm neoprene ....
As a crewmember who uses RNLI neoprene gloves - we are under standing instructions to remove them when line handling. Why? Ropeburn melts glove into palm.

Ouch.

Other than that v. good even if the wind does eventually get through on our exposed throttle hand!!

Cheers

RR.