Old 25 August 2010, 19:18   #1

Town: Cowes
Boat name: WightStuff
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 150hp
MMSI: 235072807
Global Warming (& Weather!) - How is it affecting you?

Ever since the media first started babbling about Global warming, we seem to have worse and worse summers

I'm sitting here in the middle of summer, and it feels like a winters evening.

Found it really difficult this year to find any decent weather days that have coincided with my days off, it's really meant a reduction in the number of days out on the water.

Just wondered how everyone is feeling about the promise of Global Warming, but the apparent worsening of our summers?

I was looking forward to nice some nice hot summers, and maybe even a bit more water to play on, due to the melting ice caps!
Old 25 August 2010, 19:46   #2
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
I'm very interested in this.

First observation, it's pretty much the beginning of Autumn, I know this 'cos I'm harvesting apples already (buckshee apple crushers in Lidl tomorrow!!!)

Second observation is that it will settle for the next month, so enjoy. Folks insist that August is "the big summer month", but here, at any rate, it is the wettest and often windiest summer month (Scroatland is the same).

Looking at average rain and wind figures, things tend to improve quickly in April. May and June are the dry and settled, albeit cool months and July and August are warm, but rainy and windy. September is often settled and dry.

June is my favourite month - long days and flat seas

Don't sweat the Global Warming, it's a Green Ploy to take away your 4x4 and boat. They're currently after my 4x4 - the B@ST@RDS!
Old 25 August 2010, 19:54   #3

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
There's a clue in the name, "global" warming. You have to think big picture here, the temp of the earths atmosphere (and sea temp) as a whole has gone up by half or a degree or so in our lifetime. This has a big impact on the worlds major weather systems, eg the position of the Azores High and North Atlantic low etc which directly affect the weather we (you) have in the UK and where our air streams are originating from.
Old 25 August 2010, 19:56   #4

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by martini View Post
There's a clue in the name, "global" warming. You have to think big picture here, the temp of the earths atmosphere (and sea temp) as a whole has gone up by half or a degree or so in our lifetime. This has a big impact on the worlds major weather systems, eg the position of the Azores High and North Atlantic low etc which directly affect the weather we (you) have in the UK and where our air streams are originating from.
Gulf Stream and Atlantic Conveyor.
Old 25 August 2010, 20:08   #5

Town: Cowes
Boat name: WightStuff
Engine: Yamaha 150hp
MMSI: 235072807
I normally avoid having my Holiday abroad during August as my THEORY is always that it's pointless going abroad, when the weather at home is good.... Based on the last three years, might start just going away in Aug, leaving Sep free for going out on the Rib
Old 25 August 2010, 20:55   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrAinZ View Post
I normally avoid having my Holiday abroad during August as my THEORY is always that it's pointless going abroad, when the weather at home is good.... Based on the last three years, might start just going away in Aug, leaving Sep free for going out on the Rib
I wouldn't stake too much on september, it could settle for a while but doesn't always!
Old 25 August 2010, 21:08   #7

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Archangel
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: ETec 225
MMSI: 235063789
It's not just the weather nowadays that's crap; most aspects of modern life are fairly awful. Even nostalgia is not what it used to be.

Still, it could be worse. We could all be out in this:

Old 25 August 2010, 21:21   #8
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ0KYZ View Post
It's not just the weather nowadays that's crap; most aspects of modern life are fairly awful. Even nostalgia is not what it used to be.

Dunno what you're whingin' about, a touch of Global Warming would bring half of poor France within reach of Archangel
Old 25 August 2010, 21:32   #9

Quote:

Still, it could be worse. We could all be out in this:

That's a bad day at the office. I wonder what the Filipino is for "oh sh*t"?
Old 26 August 2010, 07:02   #10

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Engine: inboard/diesel
the weather goes in big cycles and we haven't been keeping records long enough to see the bigger picture yet, all these so called expert's are just guessing at what's going to happen and to my mind nobody can guess nature.
Old 26 August 2010, 08:09   #11

Town: Plymouth
Boat name: 2XS
Make: Halmatic Pacific 24
Length: 7m +
Engine: 135hp Honda X2
Quote:
We could all be out in this:

bring it on

www.austinmarine.co.uk
Ian Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2010, 08:22   #12
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
the weather goes in big cycles and we haven't been keeping records long enough to see the bigger picture yet,
Actually from ice cores etc they have a pretty good idea what the global picture has been for many thousands of years. And archaeological and geological evidence prove precisely the point you are making that it goes in erratic not very predictable cycles:

Quote:
all these so called expert's are just guessing at what's going to happen and to my mind nobody can guess nature.
you'll notice they've stopped calling it global warming and now call it climate change - one thing is almost certain - at some point the climate is going to change (whether man made or not). Now whether that means more ribbing opportunities or more cabin ribs getting sold is hard to say!
Old 26 August 2010, 08:37   #13
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
it goes in erratic not very predictable cycles:
No wonder either, a Pleistocene Cycle is bound to be very wobbly.
Old 26 August 2010, 08:46   #14

there was an arguement going around that ice cores were too localised to give a good indication of what was happening around the whole world, i'm not going to worry about it, me ole dad gave me only 2 bits of useful information in my life
1. never waste grey matter on something you can't alter

2 don't worry, you die if you do, you die if you don't

so i won't worry about number 1 and i won't waste grey matter on number 2
Old 26 August 2010, 11:02   #15

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
These ice cores are amazing. I worked out what our food buying patterns over the last year were from what fell out of the ice cores of the long overdue defrosting of my freezer.........

I think the planet generally keeps a bit of it's own equilibrium. Certain species can't handle the extremes of the tolerance and so either die off or evolve. In antoher couple of billion years the residents of this orbiting bundle of matter will be no doubt fascinated by what they dig up.

Douglas Adams may have been closer to the truth than we all thought.

(Cue Vogons stage left )
Old 26 August 2010, 11:52   #16

Town: Blakeney
Boat name: Lindy
Make: Avon
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
Global Warming???

It's all happened before, you know. How did Greenland get its name?

No, Governments need to keep us under the thumb and so they need some threat or other to frighten us with. In my lifetime we've had the Cold War; Cuba; the Energy Crunch; Saddam and so on. Now we have Global Warming.

If the Government were serious about this threat, they'd want to begin on their own doorstep, but instead they bring more and more people to an already overcrowded island. More people = more CO2. Simple fact.

Don't worry about your 4x4's emissions: I read recently that 5 people running a mile put out as much CO2 as a gas guzzler.

So let's enjoy our toys while we can, and forget the so called consequences. It's all just propaganda.
Old 26 August 2010, 12:05   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymillard View Post

No, Governments need to keep us under the thumb and so they need some threat or other to frighten us with. In my lifetime we've had the Cold War; Cuba; the Energy Crunch; Saddam and so on. Now we have Global Warming.

If the Government were serious about this threat, they'd want to begin on their own doorstep, but instead they bring more and more people to an already overcrowded island. More people = more CO2. Simple fact.

Don't worry about your 4x4's emissions: I read recently that 5 people running a mile put out as much CO2 as a gas guzzler.

So let's enjoy our toys while we can, and forget the so called consequences. It's all just propaganda.
not worried about CO2, our old race boat is 1000hp and will burn £1200 in fuel for the CTC race, you'll have to have more than 5 people running to keep up with my co2 output
Old 26 August 2010, 14:09   #18

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymillard View Post

Well said!
Old 26 August 2010, 16:08   #19

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Archangel
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: ETec 225
MMSI: 235063789
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post

Dunno what you're whingin' about, a touch of Global Warming would bring half of poor France within reach of Archangel
Actually, having just bought the latest edition of "Through the French Canals" by David Jefferson I think half of France is already within reach. I must get my ICC and go to Paris one day.
Old 26 August 2010, 16:17   #20

Town: Near Godalming
Boat name: AJA
Engine: Yamaha F150AETX
I'm doing my personal best to effect climate change with a couple of V8's in the garage. Unfortunately it's having no impact at all, it's cold and wet here!

The government do very nicely out of 'global warming' despite the fact that man made emissions account for a fraction of one per cent of the total.

They need to ban algae, the sea and volcanoes. But tax payers are obviously an easier target.