Old 20 December 2008, 12:40   #21

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickuk3 View Post
Very roughly depending on temperature resin is usable for upto 10 mins,
Your using the wrong catalyst mate, or the wrong ratio!
Old 20 December 2008, 14:11   #22
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
JSP - is this the best place to be learning fibre glass work? You want a stong bond, you want a neat job (going to be very tricky unless you do it all inside... if your console doesn't open completely at the top you are also working blind!

It might be cheaper to pay someone experienced to do it - as they will already have the tools and materials, and you won't be paying for unnecessary waste or any practice runs.

Alternatively - and I'm not sure about the structural strength etc here: Could you sikflex and screw angle or box section to the deck just the right size to fit inside your console. Then sikaflex and screw/bolt the console in place over the top?
Old 20 December 2008, 14:36   #23
JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
JSP - is this the best place to be learning fibre glass work? You want a stong bond, you want a neat job (going to be very tricky unless you do it all inside... if your console doesn't open completely at the top you are also working blind!

It might be cheaper to pay someone experienced to do it - as they will already have the tools and materials, and you won't be paying for unnecessary waste or any practice runs.
If your paying yeah it would be I'm fitting a large hatch to the side of the console big enough to get my head and arm through. Lets face it, the bits and pieces needed to do that job aren't that expensive and I planned to have a practice first.

Quote:
Alternatively - and I'm not sure about the structural strength etc here: Could you sikflex and screw angle or box section to the deck just the right size to fit inside your console. Then sikaflex and screw/bolt the console in place over the top?
That's not a bad idea but the only trouble is the console, even after careful trimming of the excess fibre's will not have a neat join to the deck.
Old 20 December 2008, 20:04   #24

Town: Cowichan Bay
Boat name: Neptune
Make: Zodiac Hurricane
Length: 6m +
Engine: twin140 suzi 4stroke
I would also suggest a fillet.... Also I would alternate between csm and roving then finish with two layer of csm on the outside of the consol so you dont get print thru from the roving.
Old 24 December 2008, 11:59   #25

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
grp

dont forget to key up all areas to be glassed and then wipe over with acetone, cut all your matt to size before you start and dont stay with your head in the console for to long, the smell will play havoc with you
Old 24 December 2008, 12:19   #26
JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
...... and dont stay with your head in the console for to long, the smell will play havoc with you
I was looking forward to that
Had a great quote of a local chap through this site so it looks like all I'll be doing is cutting the old console out and prep the deck Bunny is happy!