Old 10 September 2002, 05:23   #11
Town: Dunedin
Boat name: Zebedee
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 15 2 stroke
Originally posted by wavelength
hi simon
trouble is you get the kids hooked on this ribbing thing and before you know it they'll be leaving you notes for when you get home from work to say they have borrowed your boat
Hi Dave, hoping this won't apply for a few more years!

On speed, I currently have no way of measuring this, so when the kids are always wanting to know how fast we're going, I have to guess. Gary, is 12 knots minimum planing speed for you? I've guessed my top displacement speed is about 5 knots (haven't measured my waterline length ...), but I reckoned my minimum planing speed was somewhat more than 12 knots.

Working the throttle was hard work, but made a huge difference in comfort. Fuel is a concern. My fuel gauge is just a bunch of 8 LEDs, and I'm in the process of trying to calibrate it. I don't think it's terribly accurate - perhaps due to the shape of the fuel tank (triangular cross section under the deck). I generally fill right up (60 litres) before going anywhere.

Simon Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2002, 06:41   #12
Town: Highlands
Boat name: Quicksilver
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: Mariner 15hp
On speed, I currently have no way of measuring this
Hi Simon

What you need is a hand held gps. Great fun. A superb safety item. Good for back up if you get a gps fitted. I can recommend the Garmin 12 at about 130.00

Keith (value for money) Hart

Small boat - BIG truck
Keith Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2002, 06:47   #13
RIBnet supporter
Boat name: Little Wing
Make: Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90
Hello Simon. ref your query about lifejackets. I carry two autogas, two manual gas and two crewsaver foam buoyancy. I always put kids in the foam buoyancy jackets. Gas inflated jackets are fail dangerous and they have been known to fail because of lack of maintenance. usually the cylinder seal corrodes away. If the kid was to go in the oggin, would he/she have the nous or the breath after going into cold water, to inflate the jacket through the tube. Would an adult for that matter. Personally, I wear an autogas for the comfort factor but all the jackets are checked regularly. Others will have their own preferences but I hope this helps.
DM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2002, 11:36   #14
Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Ballistic
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam HPDI 250
Interesting comments about life jackets / bouyency aids.

I have always worn a foam style bouyency aid (from dinghy sailing) but further to having an RNLI SEA-check (great idea, friendly chat really) the guy suggested wearing auto-gas life jackets - so i do!

I bought two 'coz there is normally only two of us when up to anything serious - obviously i use the conventional bouyency aid for skiing and similar wet activities, but his theory was that falling out at speed (and maybe night) you want the lifejacket to keep you afload, head and mouth out of water - hence the auto gas choice.

How long should i think about before i replace / service it - would i know if cylinder seals have corroded through a regular check???

Comments invited!
Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2002, 15:43   #15
Town: Great Harwood, Lancs
Boat name: Tigger II
Make: Bombardier Aerodeck
Engine: Tohatsu 25HP
Hi Simon, 12kts was with one up, just me. If you had more people in hence weight it will go up but i start planing just below 12kts on the GPS.

Regards Gary
Garygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2002, 16:02   #16
Town: Leatherhead
Length: no boat
Hi Simon,

I thought it was about time I put in my twopennyworth as I have the same craft as you albeit with a Mariner 60 2-stroke lump which, I think is lighter than yours. I also have an A-frame which may take the rear end weight near to yours

As regards speed, I use GPS as the speedo fitted dosen't work below 10kts, is inaccurate and reads in MPH. I reckon that my max. displacement speed is 6kts, (I have found that, at low speeds, a crewman in the bow increases the speed by up to 1knt without touching the throttle). Minimum planning speed is 11kts and maximum WOT speed is 32kts (on a flat calm sea) with two adults up. The revs for the last figure is 4800 but, as the engine should go up to 5500. I think I need to reduce the pitch on the prop. I have found that with a head sea of about 1m the most comfortable speed is around 14kts, anything above and we're airborne, anything much below and we're off the plane. The worst conditions are beam seas then the speed can vary between 12 & 16kts depending on how we take them but the intense concentration required can be very tiring. Even on a short trip from Bembridge to Chichester Harbour recently in these conditions I was exhausted after only 30mins - perhaps I'm too old for these RIBS!!!

I have auto lifejackets for everyone - I also unpack them after every trip to wash off and check the cylinders/firing mechanisms. I also have a spare killcord on board and everyone knows where it is and how to use it.

The Ribcraft LED fuel gauges are "interesting" to say the least - when mine has the 2 reds showing I need 50L to fill to the brim. One other tip with these - if you do any night running, stick a bit of duck tape over the gauge or you will be blinded!

Keith (King Bracket) Hart is right about the H/H GPS but trying to read it at speed in a bouncy sea is almost impossible - its hard enough with a fixed unit.
Peter (nick, nick) T

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! Bullshit and brilliance only come with age and experience.
Ribald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2002, 13:42   #17
Town: Lisbon
Boat name: fliper
Make: SACS (Italy)
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda 50HP, outboard
Hi Simon,

After read a thread here (some months ago), I decided to purchase the Crewsaver "Air Foam Lifejacket".

They are 150N lifejackets, partial inflatable - oral, not automatic, is always buoyant (due to cell foam). Of course 150N will only apply full inflated.

baixamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2002, 15:32   #18
Town: Southampton
Make: Camel
Length: 6.5
Engine: Honda 130
Originally posted by Viking
Testing but fun isn't it
Apologies Wavelength, this reply was meant for the opening part of the thread. I am emabarrassed about saying this immediately after you explained how three boaters died on the water

Viking is offline   Reply With Quote