Old 23 September 2019, 07:20   #1

Town: NSW
Length: 4m +
Gemini WaveRider 600?

I like to spearfish offshore. I usually pick good days anyway for Vizibility, but sometimes I will just go fishing.

How does the 600 handle a 2-3 foot wind chop?

I have read they have a very sharp deadrise and entry, along with being fiberglass are a soft riding boat.

It has a 150hp 4 stroke on the back, 2008 model.
Old 23 September 2019, 22:10   #2

Town: Whakatane
Boat name: Jojosrib
Make: Brig
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha f 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpearRib View Post
I like to spearfish offshore. I usually pick good days anyway for Vizibility, but sometimes I will just go fishing.

How does the 600 handle a 2-3 foot wind chop?

I have read they have a very sharp deadrise and entry, along with being fiberglass are a soft riding boat.

It has a 150hp 4 stroke on the back, 2008 model.
For what you describe this will prove to be a decent RIB. Gemini s have a good reputation for sea keeping and are tough. A 150 should be a good match.
Old 23 September 2019, 23:00   #3

Cheers mate.

I just watched the 40 year video on youtube about Gemini.

I do like how all the hulls seem to ride straight and true but the bow lands like a cushion but always seems to go up and over waves.

My only concern is its 12 years old and if it will still be reliable hull. In saying that the price for 4 stroke 150hp is worth the asking price of the whole deal.

I looked at Naiads which are a boat made in NZ, they use mostly Ally hulls which are high sided so even if you lost a whole pontoon side the boats hull rides the same height, not quite an Ally Pontoon unsinkable but nearer to it. They have inner tubes and then bags over these tubes giving double protection, but its how they are put on thats quite cool, they slide on like a tongue and groove fitting. They are used by the coastguard here and designed for the Southern Ocean. But not many come up used that are bigger models in good nick for a good price.

Gemini models often pop up.
Old 24 September 2019, 00:17   #4

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
A 6m Gemini will do almost any kind of fishing you choose here in Aus, I use my 5.2m (550 pro) zodiac along the whole east coast, regularly hitting 80k + offshore. We spear and rod and line fish ( if you spear you most likely know my daughter from social media sites over here ) . She's sponsored by Aimrite and also one of BluweWater game fishing magazine contributors.

I'm currently looking at getting a Gemini in comercial survey to run a small buisness working with very small groups. The Gemini seem easier to find in amsa survey, hence why you see maritime using them or naiads.

I drive a couple of bigger inflatable dive boats but really feel far more comfortable in my small rib when negotiating rough bar crossings and very big sees, my boat almost feels like a surfboard and part of me rather than a vessel I'm punching through sea.

Even though mine only has a small Yam f70 it still pushes along very well, at 40kmh sits around 3km per Lt, a safe 250km range from the underfloor tank. My last trip ran us over 225km chassing bluefin. On the first pic ( chart ) the red boxes are around Montague island which many people consider offshore fishing, as you can see I take my boat a tad further than that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1155.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	194.9 KB
ID:	130962   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0977.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	130963   Click image for larger version

Name:	_JDP4180.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	206.8 KB
ID:	130964   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0520.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	130965   Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC3544.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	130966  

Old 24 September 2019, 00:46   #5

Crazy thing is I can legally carry 12 passengers on my rib.

Removing and replacing tubes can be pricy so really check those tubes well on that 12 year old gem, they could be great but they could just as easely be stuffed from our climate if they haven't been cared for. Uv protection cleaners, covers or simply stored out of the sun can make huge differences to the tubes.

Same goes with older 4 stroke engines, which many think will be better just because they are 4 strokes. Often an old engine with low hours can have far more problems than newer ones with high hours. Engines that are used lots tend to have less issues from salt drying inside causing damage. Oyster farmers, abalone divers, maritime etc etc rarely flush their engines but get incredibly high hours out of them with very few problems compared to recreational use. So don't be put off by a well maintained high hour outboard. When I head up north of Port Douglass I often take my rib out of the Daintree river, where I was chatting with the croc tour operators who use the same f 70 as I have. They use them solid untill they reach 10,000hrs where they then get transferred onto there least often used boats. According to them they did trial Suzuki f70's but had to many gearbox issues from the constant in out gear changing which is common to the buisness. The reason I mention this is with spearing the boat driver is often left following spearos and having to constantly engage in and out of gear for hours on end.
Old 24 September 2019, 11:32   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp View Post
A 6m Gemini will do almost any kind of fishing you choose here in Aus.
My mate just bought a new 450 Pro, loves his Zodiac. He too gets out quite wide in it on the right days.

Low hours is about 200hours to me :-). I definitely dont buy engines that sit around seizing up.

Yeah definitely want to get stuck into surveying the boat.

I will likely carry 2x50l totes with me for extra range as well.

No Im not familiar with your daughter, is that her with that baby kingy? We use them for livebait that size over here ;-p

Always worry about Beakies in pontoon boat, more so than a big white pointer grabbing the side lol. So that pic is pretty cool. Got to release them quick before those 20ft makos chomp em in half.

Thanks for the tips,gemini sounds like a winner.
Old 24 September 2019, 13:26   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpearRib View Post
My mate just bought a new 450 Pro, loves his Zodiac. He too gets out quite wide in it on the right days.

Low hours is about 200hours to me :-). I definitely dont buy engines that sit around seizing up.

Yeah definitely want to get stuck into surveying the boat.

I will likely carry 2x50l totes with me for extra range as well.

No Im not familiar with your daughter, is that her with that baby kingy? We use them for livebait that size over here ;-p

Always worry about Beakies in pontoon boat, more so than a big white pointer grabbing the side lol. So that pic is pretty cool. Got to release them quick before those 20ft makos chomp em in half.

Thanks for the tips,gemini sounds like a winner.

Yes unfortunately that's a baby king, she lost her best one after hitting it a little low after not realising her last bluefin had bent the shaft slightly. She was devastated after being dragged around and having the spear in her hand when it ripped off.

What part of the coast are you at ? I'm heading out around Lady Musgrave 1770 next week and most likely Wooli on the way home weather depending. Leaving my daughter here working on a charter boat.

Some big kings have been taken over the last week, one of her buddies shot a 32kg model a few days ago and another of our dive buddies nailed a 118 kg bluefin a couple of days ago. I don't hold much hope but I'm trying for yellowfin just before I head north.
Old 30 September 2019, 23:07   #8

Quote:

Some big kings have been taken over the last week, one of her buddies shot a 32kg model a few days ago and another of our dive buddies nailed a 118 kg bluefin a couple of days ago. I don't hold much hope but I'm trying for yellowfin just before I head north.
Im based in NZ for a while now unfortunately. 32kg is pretty good, even here in NZ. Sharks are a major issue when hitting kings here though, more so around pinnacles etc, Bronze Whalers, a cousin of the bull shark but slightly less aggressive, but they will steal a catch in the blink of an eye.

Haha I was joking about your daughters fish, It looks fairly sizeable? How old is your daughter, she looks like a high schooler? Doing pretty good at that age. My cousin started really young as her mum (and all my uncles) are bubble blower padi instructors, but my cousin saw the light with free diving. But we all still use tanks for viewing marine reserves etc. There are a lot of female spearos in NZ, I think probably more per capita, but I think both countries are trying to attract women to the sport.

They say the Gemini can be set up as a dive boat with the removal of the rear chair. Im not really sure what that means yet. Ive found another model a bit newer Im trying to convince myself is worth the extra $7k, its a 2014 model vs 2006. Same engine, Yammy 150 4 stroke.

I will say gdday when Im back in NSW. I work in IT Management so I have to be around big cities sadly. Although Ive worked in Wollongong and Newcastle as I contract as the money is insanely good (or Id rather be working in a dive shop doing retail haha)
Old 01 October 2019, 03:48   #9

Yes everyone thinks my daughter is still a schoolie but she's actually 18 (19 next week). Her best friend is the NZ under 18 female spearfishing champion, they are like pees in a pod https://isport.org.nz/campaigns/alex...-spearfishing/

My daughter has decided to no longer enter comps as she only likes diving for what she intends to eat. We had big bronzes on our first dive yesterday, which we're interested in the remains of a dead humpback. There were orcas locally to but we didn't see them.

I removed my back seat to, this makes getting your long fins on so much easier down the back with the extra space. The clear back deck also allows us to quickly swim up over the tubes when we need to get in quick ( when sharks want our fish ). I also much prefer standing when picking my way through heavy seas, it's far better on my back.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_JDP8219.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	131005   Click image for larger version

Name:	_JDP8268.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	131006   Click image for larger version

Name:	_JDP8704.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	131007  
Old 01 October 2019, 05:09   #10

Quote:
I removed my back seat to,
Do you have back issues too?

Im looking at just having a lumbar support which you can fold the other way so when you are standing you have some support when not in the water.

Your daughter is a right cutie, you are very lucky. I lucked out on the child front, long story, although im just nearing 40s. I guess I could still find a slightly younger woman to make a family with. I tend to attract nice looking women, but in all honesty Im sapiosexual so Im not sure how as Im attracted to intellect and particularly academic types, especially if they are into marine biology.

Where abouts is that spot for the crays? South coast?

Arent ribs great for towing. My Outback which has the 3.0l that Porsche had some input into can easily tow a 6m RIB. Yet I can get 80km offshore just like a 6m Edencraft Offshore (although I do love their boats), the formula 233, oh Id marry it haha. Also the Haines, is it 630, that is something very special. But you need to drive a tractor where the Gemini will get just as far off shore.

There was a 20ft Nouvarania, but Im taking my time so missed out on it. But they are set up for comfort more.

These are the 2 im Seriously considering.

2013 6m Gemini

The only down side is the 115hp 4stroke Yammy

2004 6m Gemini

Has a 150hp same model 4stroke Yammy and is $7k less.

My thoughts are even though the 150 would be much quicker cruise, the 115 is plenty on a RIB and with generally only 2 people, it should be fine. Plus a newer model will hold resale value better regardless.

What do you reckon?

How far offshore would you take your Gemini 600?

There is a big island out of the Hauraki Gulf in Auckland called Great Barrier Island. It is the most untouched area of NZ. Its about 80km from Auck as the crowe flies. But if you launch north of Auckland you have Island in between with the biggest leap being about 30km. MASSIVE snaps and kings galore. Also up north offshore of Tutukaka which a lot of international people know of (sizeable marina and hotel etc) are the Poor Knights, which strangely the bronze whalers are not the apex predators, the 35kg Snapper are, its a marne reserve, but I think it either 800m 1km outside of both islands is free for all. The schools of big kings are so pretty, sometimes its nicer just to film them. There is a small patch of about 800m between both Islands you can fish. That is about 25km offshore. That would be easy i think in 6m waverider. In fact the tutukaka coast was named by national geographic as the second best Coastal area in the world.

The Tutukaka Coast - Dive! Tutukaka
Old 01 October 2019, 08:15   #11

Hi guys,
Really enjoying the read on your developing bromance....just love the sense of adventure.....
Thought I d drop in with a short video we made this year diving at White Island in the bay of Plenty.....
....over the years we ve dived the Poor Knights many times and it is pretty special.....but White beats it with fish life IMO....I m sure you ll agree....

I would personally go with the newer Gemini spearfish.....the 115 will be fine with a light load......If you did find it a bit low on grunt you will easily sell that motor for a decent price.....Not such an easy fix if the older boat is feeling it’s age due to UV exposure...
Old 01 October 2019, 08:33   #12

Both those look in top condition, however 9 years newer is a fair amount. I bought a Haines a few years back with a 2004 Honda with low hours which was corroded from the inside out, which has now made me cautious about buying older engines with low hours. In saying that Yamaha are normally very good, especially if regularly flushed.

Broke my neck and lower back when younger so yes suffering with it now. I do find standing with knees bent allows me to still push boats pretty hard in offshore conditions. I have no issues taking my boat 80km offshore and I'm sure the 6m Gemini would outperform my boat. I do drive a 7.7 ex fisheries Gemini which handles very well apart from being very wet. Both myself and daughter get to play in many of the comercial boats ( formula, edencraft, cootacraft )used in the abalone and urchin industry, she was also sponsored by cootacraft when comp diving, so gets to play in their high speed weapons. My daughter works out of Mallacoota or Narooma, driving or deckhanding on boats, she also does a fair amount of research and underwater film work for fisheries.

In regards to towing, I used to use a Toyota Prado 3lt diesel but have changed over to a Hyundai Santa Fe which has more torque and far better economy. I average 9lt per 100k towing my boat fully loaded and a roof pod on top of the car. Overtaking road trains has never been easier.

Brisbane Yamaha have some pretty accurate performance reports on both the 115 and 150 on their site with several diffent boats which should give you a good idea on fuel range. I don't think either engine would have any difficulty pushing those boats, even heavily loaded and propped right they should both perform very well.

Personaly I feel safer offshore in my small boat than most large cats or mono hull boats, it just feels more fun when it gets rough.
Old 01 October 2019, 08:39   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojosrib View Post
Hi guys,
Really enjoying the read on your developing bromance....just love the sense of adventure.....
Thought I d drop in with a short video we made this year diving at White Island in the bay of Plenty.....
....over the years we ve dived the Poor Knights many times and it is pretty special.....but White beats it with fish life IMO....I m sure you ll agree....

I would personally go with the newer Gemini spearfish.....the 115 will be fine with a light load......If you did find it a bit low on grunt you will easily sell that motor for a decent price.....Not such an easy fix if the older boat is feeling it’s age due to UV exposure...

Nice diving in that fish soup!!!...notice a few purple urchins but still plenty of healthy kelp. Are you seeing any increase in urchin numbers over there ?
Old 01 October 2019, 09:03   #14

Quote:
Nice diving in that fish soup!!!...notice a few purple urchins but still plenty of healthy kelp. Are you seeing any increase in urchin numbers over there ?
Not noticed an increase in urchin numbers......this is a very healthy area with a marine reserve just a couple of kms away.....we have a very rare urchin here called the diadema urchin.....it’s irridecent red and blue.....quite amazing...
Old 01 October 2019, 09:20   #15

Spearfish
The 150 is a 2 stroke saltwater series...
The newer boat has leaning post that would work well offshore.....and it also has a TTop which make a huge difference in NZ summers....

For me it would be a no brainer......if you can find the cash buy the newer boat....
Old 01 October 2019, 10:44   #16

Quote:
My daughter works out of Mallacoota or Narooma, driving or deckhanding on boats, she also does a fair amount of research and underwater film work for fisheries.
Your daughter sounds awesome, It would be cool to meet up with you and her when im back, no other context meant by that. She has a lot of guts for a girl her age. Interested in how she picked up that work and what film stuff she gets involved with. Is Alex her friend? I have seen posts of hers on social media etc. The 2 girls look very similar lol. I use to live over in WA, my ex was from Broome, Im looking at what that Brodie guy is doing on youtube and where he is spearing and just drooling at the water and the fish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojosrib View Post
Hi guys,

Plenty of room for more fellow divers :-). We should start a Kiwaussie Dive club on here, just dont mention the Wallabies losing to Wales haha. You meant SpearRib. Spearfish was already taken I think haha.

Thats a nice dive WI. Ive been out a number of times to help with biology work. Its very healthy. Some very big kingys taken out that way too, along with the odd 20 foot mako haha.

yeah I just realised thats a 2 stroke. there is another private sale 2002 model with a 150 saltwater series 2 stroke for $22k, that could be good buying too.

I missed out on an Osprey ally pontoon boat, took too long getting the money together, unlike Stabi and the others, Osprey have a really fine entry and extreme deadrise for Ally pontoon boats which are esentially RIBs made entirely of plate ally :-)
Old 01 October 2019, 11:38   #17

Sorry JoJo I think I confused things with the wrong link, this is the 2004 model with the f150 four stroke I was refering to not the cheaper private sale model.

2004 wr600
Old 01 October 2019, 23:36   #18

Yes my daughter and Alex have a very special bond, they are both simply nuts!!!

My daughter has been involved with many scientific projoects and is highly respected among the scientific community. She was leading Uni students and teaching them at just 14 and has appeared on several kids wildlife shows and sbs citizens science projects. She and her younger sister also have several award winning images in Aus geographic books and the like. My other girl is more about reptiles and less about the ocean, which takes them both on many trips away from home helping with research. She's recently been invited to be part of the marine parks advisory board which will be good to have a young diverse person who gets on so well with rec, comercial and green groups.

As you can see Alex is a very tall girl.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7500.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	131009  
Old 02 October 2019, 03:18   #19

[QUOTE=jonp;803583
As you can see Alex is a very tall girl.[/QUOTE]

Alex I think is just known due to winning her age group etc. A while back.

Do you mind me asking your daughters name? Would be interesting to read anything she has done. My ex has a double DOC, Dr Dr lol.

This is the life I would have chosen had I not known what I wanted to do and did Project Management at university. Id much rather be earning a fraction I earn and doing something I like, I know some people say that is BS, but I think if you can do what you enjoy and still keep a roof over your head, thats all that matters.

Id really like over powered twin outboards on the WR600. I saw a 550 with 2x 75hp 2 strokes, that thing was close to jetski speed.

If I move back to Aus it will prob be sunshine coast as I can get work there, and dive and explore the Gladstone/bottom section of the reef.

I do worry about people not wearing stinger suits as there are a lot of warieties of box jellies even that far down. It doesnt take much to go into shock and least case be scarred for life. A thin stinger suit isnt a huge hassle to put on. I see many people put them on one day and not bother the next.

They had that young Eng guy die recently.

At least down gladstone, big salty crocs are less likely.

But I do prefer the area that youngbloods on youtube are filming, Im just not sure where exactly it is. I know its up near Broome somewhere.

Have you watched his vids? He makes a shed load with 1.1m views and world class model (PB Pet) girlfriend. I love his dog haha. But hes sponsored by sea doo (the new fish pro model) and a Genesys boat (made in Perth).

The only thing which I find a tad grating, like many young aussies with their tough stickers they are also putting on the "Steve Irwin" (RIP) type accident.

Auck and Syd folk still sound fairly similar.

They did a survey in the 70s and back in the day the 2 accents were identical, what they found is young aussies with lots of immigrants were wanting to distinguish from Kiwis. BIZARRE, given NSW was the governing state of NZ at one point.

I think its when you throw in a true country accent like my cousin from Cairns, vs somebody from the deep South Isld NZ, the aussie over pronounces which forms a drool and has a very nasally twang vs the SI accent being very under pronounced and short/sharp, ie fush and chups.

I think its awesome here is two two young ladies that have formed a friendship across the dutch and are competing across the globe. Wow how far the sport has come since I was a kid, when gun powder based spear rifles used while blowing bubbles via tanks were legal.

Now days even chasing fish on tanks is shunned upon. But personally I don see the point of not using them for things like Scallops, very merky water and hard to see let alone limit picking up undersize and ruining habitat. Where Paua (abalone) are usually in visibility where it is much easier to be selective on what you are taking off the rock. Some places in NZ still have it all :-). Crayfish the size of a Car ;-p
Old 02 October 2019, 09:49   #20

The 550 with twins is what I'm looking for but I want one in amsa 2c survey. A few maritime vessels pop on the market from time to time which would be good for what we have planned.

I know what you mean about work, money and play, with most of my life doing just enough work to allow me to play. As soon as the kids were born I pretty much became a stay at home dad to spend as much time with them as possible. We get by on very little money but still manage to do many adventures, in fact I'm heading north to Lady Musgrave in the morning towing the boat to try and get my son into a few red emperor.

This was a video my eldest did for a school project a couple of years ago. Her more recent film work for fisheries isn't on public forums. Georgia Poyner .

Funny you mention Steve Erwin as my reptile crazy daughter was dating his son untill a few months ago, which was mostly kept out of the headlines!!