Old 03 September 2002, 08:45   #1

Town: Oxford
Make: Ribtec, Ballistic, C
Engine: 40hp 4 strokes - twi
Gemini ribs

Hi I am currently researching 2 small ribs to be used for a sailing club, the boats will be used for safety boating and the occasional rya powerboat course. I have been given a quote for the two boats with a frame lights and 60 horse four stroke plus trailer for £9 k per boat this is about £3 k less per boat that other quotes. My problem is that I know nothing about the quality of Gemini ribs and these boats will get a very hard life 365 days a year, any one know anything?
Old 03 September 2002, 08:51   #2
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
I haven't looked at a Gemini recently, but at the press launch a couple of years ago I was quite impressed by them (although the seating arrangements on their charter fleet still scares me!). They look to be quite solidly made, with a reasonable finish quality.

The difference in price that you have been quoted is quite substantial. What size boats are they? Have you checked that the specifications are the same for the various quotes -- VAT included? Seating/console? Braked/unbraked trailer? Make and model of engine?

John
Old 03 September 2002, 09:15   #3

Town: Oxford
Make: Ribtec, Ballistic, C
Engine: 40hp 4 strokes - twi
Yes it is a ver substantial price difference, the boat is the 5.05 m which is on an unbreaked trailer, the engin would be either a honda or a mercury, the price difference is within a few hundered depending on the exact engin spec eg wether We went for the bigfoot ect.
Old 03 September 2002, 10:44   #4

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
Gemini is a long established (since 1979) South African RIB builder who make good, solid and reliable ribs. I have no hesitation in recommending them to anyone, very good value for money. To qualify this, they are by no means the best, but certainly with the pound/rand exchange rate they can undercut anyone's pricing.