Town: I.O.W/Switzerland
Boat name: HotShot
Make: shakey
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp Tohatsu TLDI
Gemini DIY RIB kits

Hi,

I'm a newbie so be nice.
Just wondered whether anybody has had any experience of, or know anything about the Gemini DIY RIB kits (http://www.geminiindustries.co.uk/ribtubes.htm). They charge £1325 for a tube and 4 inner tubes and reckon that everything else u need will cost £400. so that a brand new RIB for under £2000 (4.5metre i think). I was thinking about building one but maybe use slightly thinner ply and encase in Fibreglass as well. Any opions on this?

I'm a student so am trying to get myself a nice 4.5metre boat on the cheap. Would it just be simpler and cheaper to get a RIB hull (no consoles or engine) and build that up?

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers
Tim
Old 19 July 2003, 11:29   #2

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Hi Tim,

We're always nice to newbies!

There have been quite a few 4.5m secondhand RIBs for sale at very modest prices... Wavelength had a very nice Avon for sale recently complete with Yamaha 50 o/b and trailer, about £2k if I remember correctly. Also keep an eye on Ebay, boatsandoutboards.co.uk and the "Buy a Boat" magazine for bargains. A professionally built boat, fully rigged, might look attractive against self-build. And it will probably hold a better resale value.

I'm no boatbuilder, but I think that plywood in RIBs is usually used just for stiffening, with different types of glass-fibre sheet added at appropriate places (the lay-up) and a gel-coat finish. I understand that these materials can be quite expensive and it's a skilled job. Also, many boats boast of a "wood free" construction.

Depends what you want - is the objective to enjoy building your own boat, or to get out on the water in a fast, seaworthy craft? (not that the two objectives are mutually exclusive!)

Richard.