Old 29 August 2023, 13:34   #1
Hpd

Make: Valiant
Length: 4m +
Gel coat repair?

Hi I’ve noticed there’s a small chip on the hull of my rib, it looks fairly superficial but it’s down to the fibreglass so think it needs sorting.

Any advice on products to do this? I have experience with GRP repairs on surfboards etc but not sure on the best way to fix this one

Any advice would be great cheers
Old 02 September 2023, 16:19   #2

Town: North Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mary Olwen
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: OB, Petrol, 140HP
Any decent gel coat repair kit will work fine. Your biggest problem will be getting a good colour match!
You don't say what boat you have, but most manufacturers sell repair kits for not much money, which should be colour matched.
Ensure it's properly dry before you begin, and follow the instructions supplied with the kit.
Sand the finished repair with progressively finer abrasive paper, then finish with rubbing compound, cutting fluid and finish with wax polish.
Old 03 September 2023, 08:18   #3

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp HO
If it’s deep it might need a gel filler. As with above instructions it needs to be clean and keyed up with a course sand paper, then wiped with acetone to reatuvate the gel slightly.

I would start by masking off area and a small perimeter around it. If it’s filler prepare the area as above and apply. With both gelcoat and gelcoat filler you can sand a little wider with progressively smoother paper first, starting at 80-120 working outwards to 400 ish. This will allow the gelcoat to flow into the smaller scratches and graduate the edge colours. Once cured sandi edges first with finer paper. Most people sand middle first to get it flat, but then when they do the edges, they go through the middle or high spots perfected first.

If it’s gel coat it might need an air inhibitor. Most kits come with wax in them, sometimes called topcoat, failing that some cling film or blue will inhibit the air from repair.

I am ok at gelcoat repairs but I am not great. If you want perfection pay someone, if you don’t mind a repair that will eventually age and look structurally OK it’s worth a go. If your boat is newer it will likely be easy to get a colour match from supplier. If it’s old, you probably will never match exactly unless you pay a pro.

A picture would help to see how severe it is.
Old 05 September 2023, 07:10   #4
Hpd

Make: Valiant
Length: 4m +
Thanks for the pointers. I gave it a go and it worked out great, super smooth repair especially after wet sanding from 600 - 1000 grit then polishing.

Colour match wasn’t an issue for me as it’s right on hull where it’s probably scraped a trailer at some point, so bright white is fine haha.

Thanks again 👌🏻

Tags
repair