Old 07 January 2003, 15:58   #21

Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
Manos

That particular one is the MK9 and the Mk10 more or less looks the same. These helmets are light and allow good visibility.
I agree with Brian that a few points have not yet been answered
and we should wait and see what Gecko have to say or anyone who has had the experience of being ejected out of a rib in a helmet and has lived to tell the tale.

Andre
Old 07 January 2003, 16:07   #22

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Andre

I cannot comment about GECKO helmet durability. I never used one. Probably they are as good as you say that they are.
However, I believe that any other helmet that is constructed for racing MX bikes or snowmobiles or street bikes is constructed under and has to conform with very many stricked rules and regs.
These helmets are very (I mean VERY) light and possibly have the same (if not even better qualities) as the GECKO helmets.......
Also they are not only made in red colour and they are pleasing to the eye too (joking)
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 January 2003, 16:58   #23

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
I discussed VOX in depth with DS Solutions, they do not use them for helmet install's (from what i remember) - opting for vacum operated foot switch or in-line 'squeeze' switches.

I think the wind noise on a RIB would be too great for it to work effectively.

(Could be wrong about this one though)

Dan
Old 07 January 2003, 18:31   #24

Town: Cardiff
Make: Humber Destroyer 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp OB
PMR + Headset

I've used two types of PMR - Binatone 100 and Twintalker 3000 with headsets.

Mainly I've use them while skiing to make easy communication between group members whilst going down the slopes. Even in that reasonably quiet environment the VOX doesn't seem to be able to cope, so we just use the push to talk on the set.

I have used them on a RIB, but only once. They were a great benefit and as there were three other crew all with PMR and headset it was ideal if I wanted to say something to all.

The only thing to remember is anyone with a PMR with 2 miles can here you.

The headsets are simple in-ear with in-line mic and I haven't had any problems, I'm pretty sure they would fit within any helmet OK.

I will continue to use them as the benefit of being able to quickly and easily communicate with the whole crew on the water is increased by the fact you can continue to talk to the poor sod you send to collect the car and trailer, while your waiting for them to back it down the slipway (and give constructive criticism).

Mike
Old 07 January 2003, 18:39   #25

Manos

I do not know where you got the idea that Gecko helmets are only made in RED . The RNLI have in white and you can have them in Green, Black, yellow Blue ect, ect , ect

By the way in case you ask "No, I do not work for Gecko"

Also as I understand the Gecko helmets are approved to maritime standards. How would a snow mobile type helmet look like after submersion in sea water. Is it waterproof?

The decision is a personal preference one, however if the RNLI use Gecko then that is good enough for me. They do not buy anything which they have not tested.

Andre
Old 07 January 2003, 18:58   #26

Town: Aberystwyth
Boat name: Undecided
Make: Undecided
Length: Undecided
Engine: Undecided
If you weren't that bothered about a crew-crew comms system being wire free, then it would be possible to make a basic wire based comms unit with connection ports that could say be attached to the sides of jockey seats, which would all be connected together. Crew would just then plug their headset into the port for their seat, and use a PTT switch when they want to say something. Providing the connector would release easily enough if they were to go overboard it should be fine. Wouldn't be too good when standing away from the jockey seats, but I guess you'd be using them mostly in rougher conditions when you'd want to be on the seats anyway. If anyone's interested I might look into the design of something like this, would do my electronics some good to design something useful.

Matt
Old 07 January 2003, 19:01   #27

Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Andre

It was only a joke about the colour. But I like Blue, gray and yellow.
And yes the snowmobil helemets are fully waterproof. Usually. if you make an order for a helmet it can be done as you like it.
In fact, in the US (I buy most of my gear from there and SAfrica as these places have good value for maney goods) you can specify how you actually want the helmet to be like, water proof, bulit proof, wind proof, what color or combibation of colours etc etc.
However, a RNLI or equivalent helmet does not necessarily mean that is a racing boat helemet.
The cost of a helmet in the US and SAfrica with intercom is MUCH LESS than GBP 450 (I think this is how GECKOs are forgive me if I'm wrong) and your helmet is custom made.
Anyway, is what anyone prefers. I think that in Europe and particularly in the UK quite a few items (not to say everything) are OVERPRICED, people buy them either because they do not bother to ask arround or they do not care how much they spend and most of the UK money grabing manufacturers, importers, producers etc DO NOT DESERVE ANY SUPPORT (see and compare prices of cars, moto bikes, RIBs, ropes and anchors (major price differencial), VHFs, GPSs and other goods to many to mention between the UK and other European countries not to mention the US and SAfrica).
I think when we go to Plymouth you should check out my helmet and see what you think. I will deffinately check out a GECKO if I get a chance.
Old 07 January 2003, 19:14   #28

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Sting
Make: Tornado 6.8
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 200 HPDI
Send a message via MSN to Andy
Jelly,

Thanks for the tip off. I just visited Ralph Chesters at Comunica Industries International Ltd. Tel 01962 840084. He has an excellent helmet and coms solution at an attractive price and its a fine product. The kit looks the business.

I will be placing an order and will keep the forum informed of my experiences.

Once again thanks to everybody for your advice on this subject.

www.badviz.com
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 January 2003, 19:22   #29

Matt

What you are refering to is also of the supply of DS Developments and this is one of the best on the market. The most popular for a commercial application is when the crew can talk to each other via the intercom and only the say, coxswain can speak to shore or mother vessel via VHF.

A much cheaper solution is to have a helmet say Gecko or any other one , single earpiece, waterproof boom mounted microphone , PTT control fitted on helmet and all inter connected to say a handheld Icom Euro V. This can be placed into waterproof case for extra protection and strapped arounds ones waist. This then becomes hands free set. Most ribsters have a handheld set so this is not going to cost anything like pounds 450.00. Anyway a call to Derek at DS Developments will provide an answer.

Andre
Old 07 January 2003, 19:38   #30

Manos

The Gecko for sure is more for commercial or leisure use than say racing.

I have used the MK8 twice for racing during the two offshore Polish rib races and during the first one in 1999 my driver and I were ejected out of the rib at very low speed in the harbour. Most unusual you will no doubt say and I agree. Looking back today rather funny so If you want to read about this experience look up the Millenium issue of RI. To complete this story the weather was quite good so at the time we had our dry suits tied around our waists . You can only guess what happened next. Anyway we survived to tell the tale as HMS and Paul Lemmer came to the rescue.

Andre
Old 07 January 2003, 19:47   #31

Andre

Very interesting!! and funny bet it was cold
Will have a look at the story on RI.
Old 07 January 2003, 19:52   #32

Town: N.C.
Andre...

Wasn't your driver dropped from the RI writers list after that issue?
It was a funny story, with a happy ending. So have you moved your home to England? Hope all is well with you and please say hello to your 'driver' for me if you speak with him soon.
Cheers...Neil
Old 07 January 2003, 20:03   #33

Hi Neil

To answer your question - no I have not moved home I am English and live in the UK but travel a lot to Poland on business as you must have guessed from my posts

the article in question was written by HMS not my driver and yes will say hallo to him from you.

Have you read that article ?

Andre
Old 07 January 2003, 20:11   #34

Town: N.C.
Yes I read the article...

but the driver also had a article about 'kill cords' in the same issue...

The Parker Ribs that you have posted picture of and as I understand, your personal boat as well, looks to be a nice boat w' the small diesel. Where are they made and contact info? I haven’t found a web site for them. I also remember something about you possibly being involved in a rib being made in Poland, did that come together...Parker Ribs?...
Cheers
Old 08 January 2003, 09:02   #35

Town: Saltash, Cornwall
Make: Rib less:-(
Greetings
Well the Gecko did once apply to the British Standard, this was a great standard - it was writen by Gecko with the BS insttute.
But it was impossible to get a copy of this standard we wanted it for work for the HSE case book so we could work- not available from BSi.
The story then thickens as I have only hearsay on this.
People retired from BSi and the standard was withdrawn.
I'm told there is a CE standard orginating in Italy on marine helmets though yet to find it

Jelly
PS its snowing hard in Docklands only got 400m vis!
Old 13 January 2003, 16:31   #36

Town: Bude
Gecko Marine Safety Helmets

Hello to everyone who has been taking part in the ongoing discusson of Gecko Marine Safety helmet(s)

We have been looking through the posts and please find following in no particular order respective comments -

Towards the end of 1997 the Institute of Naval medicine produced a report looking at Head Protection and the causes of head injury for users of SFB`s / R.I.B`s.

The report found that a high percentage of head injuries were received from striking the head against the boat whilst falling overboard, hitting the head against the "falls" and missle impacts.

It also acknowledged that "wear of helmets is not without additional risk .........performance impairment and whiplash injury to the neck" .

The report further acknowledged that there was no single standard appropriate for helmets for SFB users and that standards from other helmets would be suitable to asses whether a helmet is appropriate for this purpose with immediate effect.

During 1998 the RNLI progressed forward with the Institute of Naval Medicines recommendations and Gecko along with other interested parties presented working proto-type helmet(s).

Late 1998, The RNLI, Metropolitan Police, BSI Product Services and Gecko Head Gear as manufacturer got together to discuss the design and impact requirements for a Marine Safety Helmet.

From this meeting the PAS:028 1998 (Product Approval Standard) for Marine Safety Helmets was drawn up, has been in place and is still the requirement for any helmet wishing to be BSI approved for Marine Safety Helmets.

All versions of the Gecko Marine Safety Helmet meet the requirements of PAS:028 1998 for Marine Safety Helmets

The B.S.I PAS:028 1998 standard has never been withdrawn by B.S.I

The helmet supplied by Communica has not been tested by B.S.I to the requirements of PAS:028 1998

Due to the size, shape and weight of a motorcycle helmet increases the risk of neck injuries / whiplash and the bucketing effect.

When wet any helmet that users open celled foam increases the weight and makes the helmet unhygienic.

The Gecko Marine Safety Helmet with visor weighs approx 750 grms wet or dry, with a motorcyle helmet starting at 1100 grms upwards depending on the make and model and increasing when wet.

Gecko, press stud visors to the helmet as it was considered by all the initial parties to be safer when looking for the visor to release than having shear studs or like that can be found on other helmets.

It is recommended that regular cleaning is undertaken between the visor studs and visor itself. If this is not actioned, then there is a risk of salt corroding the two components together and making the release of the visor difficult - which can lead to visor studs breaking after excessive force when trying to remove.

Any helmets that have had studs broken way, please return to Gecko from which we will look at case by case and if appropriate will happily re stud for you f.o.c

Gecko do manufacture helmets and are available in any primary Colour or mixture of two colours.

Gecko have taken on board comments from helmet users with respect to comfort and addressed the shape for comfort with the MK9 and again addressed the size for the largest of headsizes with the latest version the MK10, which utilizes an inflatable liner further for comfort, warmth and fitting.

Unfortunately visor misting is increased by weather conditions, temperature, how hard the user is working etc To help reduce this problem anti-mist wipes can be applied or by lifting the visor slightly from the downward position to give some airflow.

Mid 2003, Gecko are looking to have on offer a full face version of the helmet for users who want full frontal protect for R.I.B racing, Zapcat etc.

Hopefully the above has answered some of the questions out there, if you have any further comments / queries then please ask.

Best Regards
Dean Bunker
Gecko Head Gear
Old 13 January 2003, 21:25   #37

Town: Blackpool
Boat name: To Exi
Make: new sib 4 man
Length: 8+ft
Engine: Mariner 4hp long shaft
To Mr gecko head gear.

Thanks for your post.

In the main are there many motorcycle helmets using open foam construction that are bsi approved?.

What is the criteria that pas:028 1998 conforms to that others dont.?

Have the RNLI placed an order for your new helmets and are they replacing there old ones?

Are you saying that becouse the New Gecko is lighter then there is less risk of Whiplash.And that this is an important consideration on a 40 knot rib?.

From a thermal point of view are you saying that a Geeko helmet have as much insulation as a normal motorcycle helmet and can deal with the same impact loads and float?.

Your full face helmet will its weight be increased to that of a normal crash helmet.?

You say that this helmet supplied by Communica is not type approved for marine use to your standared and that of the rnli.If this is correct what are the deficincies.

Can you print a copy of the standared Pas:028 1998

Do bsi state that there approved helmets should not be used in a marine enviroment.

Have the Police adopted your new helmets.On there fast support craft?

Thanks for your help
Old 14 January 2003, 08:31   #38

Town: Edenbridge
Boat name: Scorpion
Make: Scorpion 8.5mtr
Engine: 315hp Yanmar Diesel
Crash Helmets

I have to say that I know loads of people in BIBOA including myself who use the Gecko helmets and cruise thousands of miles each year. In my opinion they are excellent bits of kit and I will be upgrading to the new version as many of the others are as well. I have used full face crash helmets when we used to race and they certainly hurt your neck and back after a while. When they are wet they weigh a ton too.

Julian
Old 14 January 2003, 08:43   #39

Julian

You need more training LOLOL
Just joking couldn't restit it LOLOL
Old 14 January 2003, 08:46   #40

Town: Edenbridge
Boat name: Scorpion
Make: Scorpion 8.5mtr
Engine: 315hp Yanmar Diesel
Manos

Thanks Manos

Unfortunately we found that our boat was not quite fast enough for racing and decided to give up. Mind you we did win the Fowey race when every one else went the wrong way. This was about 10 years ago.

Hows your boat coming along Manos. Have you managed to get out in her yet, I mean in the race version you have. And are you pleased with her so far.

Julian