Town: Wooburn Green
Boat name: Oblox
Make: Bombard
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 90 opti
G8 Ribsters

http://news.sky.com/skynews/video/vi...-1269458,.html

ribs on the news!

Maybe I should have posted this under "Rib Cruises"?

Rich
Old 07 June 2007, 10:52   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: Over there ---->
Length: 3m +
'Speed boats' indeed
Old 07 June 2007, 11:50   #3

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Should have had a Pascoe!!!
Old 07 June 2007, 16:46   #4

Town: Frankfurt/Main
Make: Falcon 640 SR
Length: 6m +
Engine: e-tec 200HO
regards from Germany

http://www.zdf.de/ZDFmediathek/inhal...m_dsl,00.html#

Jörg
Old 07 June 2007, 16:59   #5

Boat name: llyn raider
Make: xs
Length: 7m +
Engine: 1 200hp merc
that was some good manouvering by the grey police boat must be a jet methinks. just watched the german clip. they seemed to ful on ram the protesters boat at the end.
Old 07 June 2007, 17:12   #6
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jörg View Post
Looks like it was a nice day for a bit of Schlauchbootaktion!

That big grey thing does look a bit handy, but not too sure whether parking a Searider on top of a Zapcat should be encouraged

John
Old 07 June 2007, 21:32   #7

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Aqua Vitae
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 75hp
MMSI: 235115057
I know that the protesters shouldn't have been there, but I can't help thinking that the police put lives at risk by ramming the protesters. On the BBC news you could see people being thrown from the rib when it was rammed by the grey boat. Scary...
Old 07 June 2007, 22:19   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
Looks like it was a nice day for a bit of Schlauchbootaktion!

That big grey thing does look a bit handy, but not too sure whether parking a Searider on top of a Zapcat should be encouraged

John
Tell me about it - nearly took their heads off - surely decapitation is a bit extreme for such an offence???
Old 07 June 2007, 22:35   #9

Town: Fareham
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Tell me about it - nearly took their heads off - surely decapitation is a bit extreme for such an offence???
Yeh, just saw that, it mounted what looked like a zapcat like it was driving onto a versadock. Bloody dangerous if you as me.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 June 2007, 22:50   #10

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Tim View Post
I know that the protesters shouldn't have been there, but I can't help thinking that the police put lives at risk by ramming the protesters. On the BBC news you could see people being thrown from the rib when it was rammed by the grey boat. Scary...
Wrong. The protesters put their lives and the lives of the police at risk by trying to illegally crash the summit. If those idiots had been killed (and if they were, ... oh well), it would have been completely their own fault and not that of the police.
Old 07 June 2007, 22:54   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie tuber View Post
Wrong. The protesters put their lives and the lives of the police at risk by trying to illegally crash the gate. If those idiots had been killed (and if they wer, ... oh well), it would have been completely their own fault and not that of the police.
And what harm exactly were the protestors in the boats doing? I can't stand Greenpeace personally but they weren't out to hurt anyone. It was the over the top actions of the little hitlers in uniform that put lives at risk. Freedom of speach seems to be a rapidly vanishing commodity these days!!!

Then again they should be greatful they weren't French - they would have used limpet mines(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_Warrior)!!!
Old 08 June 2007, 03:35   #12

Quote:
And what harm exactly were the protestors in the boats doing? I can't stand Greenpeace personally but they weren't out to hurt anyone. It was the over the top actions of the little hitlers in uniform that put lives at risk. Freedom of speach seems to be a rapidly vanishing commodity these days!!!

Then again they should be greatful they weren't French - they would have used limpet mines(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_Warrior)!!!
They can and should be able to protest/demonstrate all they want. But it is an entirely different matter when they try to crash a closed off area that is out of bounds to the public. How are the police & security people to know what their intentions are?
Old 08 June 2007, 14:55   #13

Quote:
They can and should be able to protest/demonstrate all they want. But it is an entirely different matter when they try to crash a closed off area that is out of bounds to the public. How are the police & security people to know what their intentions are?
I think the fact they were Greenpeace and were waving large banners may have given a bit of an idea what was going on - also why should such a large area be closed off? Surely a 20 mile sea exclusion zone is going a bit far???
Old 08 June 2007, 15:11   #14
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
I think the fact they were Greenpeace and were waving large banners may have given a bit of an idea what was going on - also why should such a large area be closed off? Surely a 20 mile sea exclusion zone is going a bit far???
Yes, but Bliar and Bush are paranoid...

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 June 2007, 15:22   #15

Town: Nr Tring
Boat name: Braveheart
Make: Porters Renegade
Engine: Tohatsu 140
Can't help wondering whether the protestors are rather missing the point. Wasn't the G8 summit about trying to find a solution to the Environmental issues affecting the world and how to set targets?

Love Ribbing though I do, it isn't the most environmentally friendly sport as it does use fuel - especially when we are really having fun.

How then, do Greenpeace justify using high speed fuel guzzling Ribs to crash the summit going to help the environment?
Old 08 June 2007, 15:40   #16

Quote:
To me, the greenpeace banner would be extra incentive, much as a red cape is to a bull. Seriously though, what's to say a group with seriously ill intentions doesn't come up with the idea of flying a greenpeace banner from their vehicle in the hope that they are seen as benign?

As for the 20 mile sea exclusion being excessive, yeah, it probably is. Nonetheless, if it has been clearly demarcated, and you decide you want to crash the zone, whether as a publicity stunt or for whatever reason, be prepared for some brutal consequences. Security forces take protecting heads of state mighty seriously and will do WHATEVER it takes to get the job done. Anyone with lick of common sense should fully understand that.

Sarah, excellent point. Greenpeace can burn all of the fossil fuels they want because they are so morally superior to all the rest of us filthy globe warmers.
Old 08 June 2007, 20:05   #17

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Seesm like ;

1 - they would have known that they would get picked & stoped by the police - if they had stopped they wouldn't be rammed. They know the risks & I havent heard any complaint from greenpeace yet.

2 - the police have to do something - if someone took out blair/bush etc ( after the big cheer from most of the world for various reasons) a big blame game would be carried out at taxpayers(mine) expense !

3 - maybe the police were a little OTT - it looks form one clip like they capsized a resonable sized rib with their super quick jet drive thingy ( wish I had one !) Maybe just stick a ropes in the water - it doesn't matter where as they will always find the nearest prop & wrap around it ! So green peace are then 'dead in the water' rather than DEAD in the water after being hit by 50ft of jet driven aluminium driven by loony !

Just my personal opinion - feel free to shoot me down ( but please dont ram my boat )
Old 08 June 2007, 22:46   #18

Quote:

As for the 20 mile sea exclusion being excessive, yeah, it probably is. Nonetheless, if it has been clearly demarcated, and you decide you want to crash the zone, whether as a publicity stunt or for whatever reason, be prepared for some brutal consequences. Security forces take protecting heads of state mighty seriously and will do WHATEVER it takes to get the job done. Anyone with lick of common sense should fully understand that.
Don't know why - 2 of them deserve all they get......

If there's anyone I hate more than Greenpeace it's the people who are turning the West into a Police state!!!
Old 08 June 2007, 22:47   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah G View Post
Can't help wondering whether the protestors are rather missing the point. Wasn't the G8 summit about trying to find a solution to the Environmental issues affecting the world and how to set targets?

Love Ribbing though I do, it isn't the most environmentally friendly sport as it does use fuel - especially when we are really having fun.

How then, do Greenpeace justify using high speed fuel guzzling Ribs to crash the summit going to help the environment?
Couldn't agree more - I hate Greenpeace with a passion - if they stuck to protecting Whales etc then fair enough but the final straw was when they stormed into the Land Rover plant!!!
Old 09 June 2007, 19:25   #20

Town: Frankfurt/Main
Make: Falcon 640 SR
Engine: e-tec 200HO
4 persons goes outside

http://www.rtl.de/news/rtl_aktuell_v...?article=10467