Old 13 October 2009, 20:21   #1

Town: Knutsford
Boat name: Red Jelly
Make: Narwhall 520
Length: 5m +
Engine: 1998 Mariner 75hp
Further RIB training prices

Hello everyone, just come out of college, building RIBs, 1000s experience boating and looking at firther options.

Im 18 years old currently with PB 2, 1000s of hours experience in many different boats (i.e. i'd happily do the practical/helming side of any exam now), little or no experience of navigation, night passages etc. Lots of experience with VHF and hold a St Johns ambulance first aid certificate.

Can some one please give me rough prices and pre-requists for the following courses and any thoughts baised on my current experience's

RYA PB Advanced
RYA PB Advanced Commercial Endoresd
RYA VHF
RYA First Aid
RYA Day skipper theorey
RYA PB Instructor (pb1 + pb2)

Thanks,
Will
Old 15 October 2009, 07:32   #2

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Aqua Vitae
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 75hp
MMSI: 235115057
Will,
Firstly, although you have experience of VHF, I'd go and do the course. You should have a VHF short range certificate (or be under the supervision of someone who has) if you're operating a radio anyway!
I can recommend Wavelength training in Fleetwood, and they're not too far from you. Dave Mallet is a top bloke and knows his stuff. His username on here is wavelength.

You seem to have a decent amount of experience of helming/boat handling. I'd suggest that the best move would be to do Intermediate powerboat in order to get your navigation and pilotage up to speed. It will give you far more confidence on longer passages and also serve as good preparation for your advanced powerboat certificate. I wouldn't recommend doing an instructor certificate until you are really familiar with all aspects of the syllabus, including the navigation and theory element. In terms of Dayskipper theory, most of that is covered in intermediate and advanced powerboat anyway.

In terms of finding prices etc, you can search for local RYA training centres on the RYA website. There are also loads of training centres on here!

Hope that helps,
Tim
Old 15 October 2009, 10:33   #3

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
I would recommend you do a Yachtmaster theory course as well - to give you a more in depth appreciation of navigation. Cheapish if you do it a a local college in the evenings.
Old 15 October 2009, 11:34   #4

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Hi Will

All you need to teach level 1 and 2 is Powerboat Level 2 however your theoretical knowledge should be at Day Skipper shorebased level but not essential if you look at the syllabus you will see what I mean.

Wavelength near to you woud be a good choice for your training .
Regarding the other courses you mentioned you may be able to cut a deal if you sign up to a particular school .
Prices will vary from school to school my prices are reasonable I feel, dearer than some but not as expensive as others .
Let us know how you get on and good luck with it.
Tim
Old 15 October 2009, 21:10   #5

Boat name: Yoda & Obi Wan
Make: XS700
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 HP
Will

I will give you the exact prices of taking the courses at our centre in Southampton. Although you may decide we are not the best located for you we can usually put together a programme that fits in with candidates dates. If you wanted the whole lot back to back over 2 and a bit weeks that should be possible, equally if you wanted to break it all up that would also be possible.
  • RYA PB Advanced £299
  • RYA PB Advanced Commercial Endoresd £399
    (the above two are discounted to £678 for the pair if booked together)
  • RYA VHF £73
  • RYA First Aid £73
  • RYA Dayskipper shorebased £339
  • RYA Powerboat Skills Test £115
  • RYA PB Instructor £399
    (£30 discount if the above two are booked together)

If you bought a bulk package i would try and give you some discount (depending on exactly what dates we agreed).

You also need to be aware of the following external fees
  • RYA SRC License Fee - £25
  • RYA Membership - £36-£39
  • RYA Advanced Power Exam Fee - £143
  • RYA Commercial Endorsement Fee - £25
  • Medical from a GP - £varies

If you want to talk then give us a call. Pre requisties wise you sound like you are in about the right place however it would be easier to discuss over the phone.
Old 16 October 2009, 20:20   #6

Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Interesting posts

Hi WIll,

I note you say you are just out of college building ribs, id be interested to know what that course was as I kinda fancy doing something along those lines it if I can fit it in with my downtime.

You have come up with a list of courses you need/want can I ask to what end. Do you want to work with a rib company building or maintaining ribs, or be a boat driver and/or instructor? I can think f one firm that would be happy to use you for all three roles!

You say you have 10o0's of hours of experience, that's truly impressive for one so young, and loads of VHF time but no night hours or navigation experience. Does this means that most of your experience is inland, and are you a member of a sailing/watersports club.

I think Seariders post makes a lot of sense re the theory especially as you have more time on your hands now than you will in 10 years time

You come from Knutsfor is that on the M6 going North from Stoke
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2009, 09:35   #7

Ill try and asnwer all your questions....

My experience is all costal baised mainly in and about angelsy (trearddur bay) and Devon (salcombe). I started driving when i was 14 and havnt stopped! My experice ranges from Club Rescue, Water ski and an occasional round the island or 'pop over' to nefyn but i know my stuff !

In terms of what I intend to do with these qualifications...I dont know! Im building them at the moment and love it and do get alot of water time but not enough to satisfy my cravings lol ! I'd love a job that was all boating but that is hard to come by.

I havent done any boat building college courses...I did my A-Leves (ICT, DT, Economics) and the became a trainee/apprentice boat builder.

As I said I know nothing about navigation but have just purchased my RYA Navigation Handbook so will learn that and see where I stand. The yachtmaster theorey is an interesting option. I intend to do my yachtmaster as soon as I have the necessary miles logged so this maybe a good option.

Anyway, Ill do some saving and some more research and see what I come up with. im looking to get the advanced powerboat done asap so will be in contact with some of the place's regarding VHF + 1st Aid courses and go from there.

Rougewave.....WHich company could use all three roles ?
Old 17 October 2009, 23:50   #8

Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
The reason I asked where you were based was this is close to you ( 25 miles if you live in Knutsford Cheshire) and you may find them cost effective. particularly for your VHF and 1st aid. I t's worth talking to them about the other courses but I can't see them giving a coastal endorsement in that location so you'd need to find out about that

http://www.ryawm.co.uk/Index.htm

Might I suggest that further reading for you is this very good book

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Powerboating.../dp/0470697288

or
http://www.amazon.co.uk/RYA-Powerboa...5822008&sr=1-1

on the same page as this is the RYA powerboat syllabus book and the VHF handbook

That will cover the boat driving stuff you need on your advanced course and give you an idea of where you need to be at

Theres a lot of duplication of effort on the Coastal Skipper Theory and Advanced Powerboat Theory, what size boats have you been driving?

Sorry about the confusion over your boat building qualifications I misread your post are you still boat building?
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2009, 09:18   #9

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willbrooksy View Post
i know my stuff !
what stuff is that then ?

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 November 2009, 09:21   #10

Sorry, Thought I had replied...

Ive been driving RIBs upto about 9m on a regular basis n love them! Main experience is single outboards but been know to play with twin's, jets and stern drive on occasions !

I think ive decided to do the Stormforce Pro Sports boat driver fast track course! It seems a fully thought out n complete course and its nice and quick so dont suffer to bad when it comes to unpaid time off work lol!

Then 'slap' the Certificate of Competence on the end, see whats left in the bank balance, maybe do a few shore based courses e.g. RYA Deisel and at the end of it all come out a very expericed AND qualified 18 year old !!!
Old 01 November 2009, 13:50   #11

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
All I would say is from my perspective is when I'm looking for skippers now to drive my charter boats, I much prefer to use someone who can prove they have got a decent amount of practical experience, rather than someone who's got all the tickets but did them over a couple of weeks at UKSA or similar! I've seen seemingly well qualified people making the most basic of errors. eg putting 2 stroke oil in 4 stroke outboards, not being able to tell why an outboard won't start (helps if you put fuel in the tank) etc. It might be worth your while getting some basic commercial tickets (eg pbi), doing some work for a sea school or similar, and building up to a more advanced level over a few years. That way you'll have a much more comprehensive and attractive CV for future employers.

That's not to say Doug's fast track courses arnt any good. If you have the necessary experience that may well be for you. I did several of my "tickets" at Stormforce and rate them highly.

All IMHO as a charter operator.
Old 01 November 2009, 19:43   #12

I completly argee with you that qualifications arent everything but I belive im at the stage where I need the qualification to prove i have the skills + experiences.

I know a few people who suffer from qualification but no experice e.g. my girlfriend driving a car, she has a full license but is still useless. Got a few mates with RYA PB 2 and they have done things like you said.... "Will, Why wont my boat start" "have you checked the kill cord" "Oh yer, Its started now" or my Fav.... "Will, Why wont my boat come off its trailer" "Are the ratchet straps off it" "Ahhhh"

Im also at the stage were i need the qualifications to get anywhere i wanna be! Imagine if i tryed to get a job with you and said I have 1000's of hours experice (which I do) but only PB 2 ? Or said I have 1000's hours experience and this list of qualifications i have ? Think you would choose the 2nd option

But anyway, Thanks for the postive comment about stormforce! Cant wait to get down there to be honest !
Old 01 November 2009, 20:02   #13

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Quote:

Im also at the stage were i need the qualifications to get anywhere i wanna be! Imagine if i tryed to get a job with you and said I have 1000's of hours experice (which I do) but only PB 2 ? Or said I have 1000's hours experience and this list of qualifications i have ? Think you would choose the 2nd option
Whats the experience doing if you haven't done any navigation or night work?
Old 01 November 2009, 20:56   #14
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
I know a few people who suffer from qualification but no experice e.g. my girlfriend driving a car, she has a full license but is still useless.
Got to assume her computer investigative skills are somewhat lacking too then?
Old 01 November 2009, 21:12   #15

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Got to assume her computer investigative skills are somewhat lacking too then?
He's single now lol!