Length: 3m +
I heard that you're not allowed onto their stand any more
Old 21 January 2015, 16:18   #22

Town: Adelaide
Boat name: No Name
Make: Revenger
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2 x Mercury 90
Sadly, the idea that they might ban people from the stand is entirely believable. I was certainly invited to leave their stand at an Earl's Court show for eating a sandwich.
Old 21 January 2015, 16:33   #23

Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by gareth9702 View Post
Sadly, the idea that they might ban people from the stand is entirely believable. I was certainly invited to leave their stand at an Earl's Court show for eating a sandwich.
Well eating a sandwich while on the loo is discussing
Old 21 January 2015, 17:38   #24

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Miss Isle
Make: Solent 6.9
Length: 6m +
Engine: 225 optimax
Was it a sub?

Sent from my iPad using my finger
Old 21 January 2015, 17:40   #25
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post
Well eating a sandwich while on the loo is discussing
surely that would be having a phone call whilst on the loo...
Old 21 January 2015, 18:43   #26

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Funniest boating mishap

Year one of Round Anglesey/Menai Strait run" was from The Gazelle Hotel before numbers got too big.

I was on the balcony with 8 friends having a BBQ the day before and saw what I suspected was a RIbnetter launching his 5m Tornado down the jetty. This is difficult two fold. The current washes over the jetty at pace so drags the trailer/boat over the edge if not slack water (it wasn't) and there's a pole in the centre near the top meaning only a narrow boat can get past.

Suffice to say his car wouldn't pass but the boat would. Rather than drive up to Menai and have to shuttle boats and trailers he proceeded to unhitch the trailer with the clear idea he'd walk it down the jetty..... That got exponentially steeper to the then waterline 15m away. From our viewpoint I thought "oh shit, I'm going to have to put my beer down and help" as I could see what was coming.

Barefooted, no time for shoes, I bolted out the gate off down the road and down the sheer footpath to the jetty. My friends wondered what the hell I was up to.

As I ran across the car park I saw him building momentum and losing control of an ever accelerating trailer. I got to them just as it hit the water..... And the current started to take it.

Suffice to say he managed to unhitch it to push it off, then grab the boat as I dragged the trailer back up just before it all went over the edge.

Cue a round of applause and laughter from the balcony of my drunken friends and some thanks from his much better looking half, as she came out of the Hotel.

The bloke was a RIbnetter, we chatted, met the next day, had beers and a meal that evening and I've seen him each year since at the event.

Including, when his newer boat flooded and broke down in awful weather off Holyhead Breakwater and another ribnobber towed him in.

I'm sure he'll come forward to give himself up. He's posted on this thread already! ;-)
Old 21 January 2015, 18:53   #27

Town: Acharacle
Boat name: Iolar
Make: Redbay
Engine: Suzuki DF175
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
Including, when his newer boat flooded and broke down in awful weather off Holyhead Breakwater and another ribnobber towed him in.
LOL, you don't want to put his postcode in there as well?
Old 21 January 2015, 18:57   #28

Town: bicester
Length: no boat
Engine: outboard only
When I worked for the mer/mar distributer. I used to go around the U.K. servicing and repairing H.M.C.G. OBMs sometimes when I had finished them the crew wanted to wet test them, if they did test .I always went with them. I am not going to say where it was or the name of the person.IT WASNT ME OK. We was out in open water and the obm wouldnt get the boat on the plane so the coxan backed it onto the sand and I looked at the prop, it was the wrong pitch, (I had not noticed when I greased the splines no excuses) I put the correct pitch prop on. we went out again, I had control the boat went on the plain like it was greased, and the boat coxan beside me was screaming fit to bust.
Old 21 January 2015, 19:17   #29

Town: bicester
Length: no boat
Engine: outboard only
Again when i was working I had a strange phone call and it we like this,
customer can you tell me where the alarm module is on my 75hp and dont get technicall,
me its on the starboard side,
customer I told you not to get technicall,
me ok on the right at the bottom,
customer ok,
me Can you tell me sir where you do your boating please,
customer on (some water up north ) why,
me because sir you dont know port from starboard and you are not only a danger to yourself and passengers, but also anyone else who happens to be on the same strtch of water.He then slammed the phone down
Old 21 January 2015, 20:07   #30

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Miss Isle
Make: Solent 6.9
Engine: 225 optimax
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
Year one of Round Anglesey/Menai Strait run" was from The Gazelle Hotel before numbers got too big.

I was on the balcony with 8 friends having a BBQ the day before and saw what I suspected was a RIbnetter launching his 5m Tornado down the jetty. This is difficult two fold. The current washes over the jetty at pace so drags the trailer/boat over the edge if not slack water (it wasn't) and there's a pole in the centre near the top meaning only a narrow boat can get past.

Suffice to say his car wouldn't pass but the boat would. Rather than drive up to Menai and have to shuttle boats and trailers he proceeded to unhitch the trailer with the clear idea he'd walk it down the jetty..... That got exponentially steeper to the then waterline 15m away. From our viewpoint I thought "oh shit, I'm going to have to put my beer down and help" as I could see what was coming.

Barefooted, no time for shoes, I bolted out the gate off down the road and down the sheer footpath to the jetty. My friends wondered what the hell I was up to.

As I ran across the car park I saw him building momentum and losing control of an ever accelerating trailer. I got to them just as it hit the water..... And the current started to take it.

Suffice to say he managed to unhitch it to push it off, then grab the boat as I dragged the trailer back up just before it all went over the edge.

Cue a round of applause and laughter from the balcony of my drunken friends and some thanks from his much better looking half, as she came out of the Hotel.

The bloke was a RIbnetter, we chatted, met the next day, had beers and a meal that evening and I've seen him each year since at the event.

I'm sure he'll come forward to give himself up. He's posted on this thread already! ;-)

Life's all about adventure eh Paul 😄 I still owe you a pair of socks lol

Sent from my iPad using my finger
Old 21 January 2015, 20:13   #31

Boat name: Hornet
Length: 5m +
Engine: O/B 90hp
Misunderstanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post
I heard that someone went into a sunseeker at the boat show a few years ago and did a poo in one of the loos
When the salesman said, would you like to leave a deposit sir...
Old 21 January 2015, 20:22   #32

Boat name: Hornet
Engine: O/B 90hp
When the Mercury Yacht Haven staff spotted a man on CCTV swimming just off their slipway, they went down to investigate. When asked what did he think he was doing, he replied; looking for my trailer. He eventually found it...
Old 21 January 2015, 20:31   #33

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
😄 good times Neil! Need to make some more.
Old 21 January 2015, 21:17   #34

Town: Bristol
Engine: Mercury 60 outboard
Heading down the river from Christchurch to mudeford my old Seadoo jet boat decided to jam the carb wide open.

By the time I pulled the kill cord was heading towards sailing dinghies at 40mph with absolutely no throttle control.

Ended up paddling back down the river looking like a complete twit!

A few grey hairs later and a bit of therapy and can see the funny side....