Old 22 November 2013, 09:38   #1

Town: yeovil
Boat name: Lilly of lyme
Make: XS
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30hp Yamaha
fuel tank upgrade advice please

Currently I have a Jockey console with a cut out at the front for a 25l Yamaha tank. Pics below
With the SCOOBY run next year, I need to increase fuel capacity.

I have seen bigger tanks available 50 litres + obviously I need to get it to fit in the cut out in the console (console bonded so do not want to get into removing, currently no battery but the console has a space under seat for one, and there is a firewall)

My questions ( I would like a console fuel guage, and side of console filling )
  1. Is this a job for a competent diy'r
  2. what parts do I need
  3. What tank do I need
  4. any tips on wiring, type of wire.....etc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat 2010 027.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	87738   Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat 2010 028.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	87739   Click image for larger version

Name:	26398_384897884442_2132228_n.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	87740   Click image for larger version

Name:	625638_4402228740834_877725116_n.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	87741  
Old 22 November 2013, 12:38   #2

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Hmm - a couple of thoughts for you Mike;

You've got deck fixings in the bow - if your not regularly needing the extra range of a second tank could these be used to secure a second tank outside of the console? - The weight in the bow may balance the second seat you mention installing?

The bow is mostly 'dead' space when underway ( ie no-one sits there) and you'd still be able to secure bags etc over the top.

In this way if you rigged the exisiting fuel line to be able to be swapped over by having a 'flying fule line' or an inline crossover switch.

I'd say any tank that fits best would work. I've never seen a portable tank with sender (within any sensible price) . My yam gauges have a display ( designed to be used with a fixed tank) - but its not connected to my 2x 25L tanks in any way . Its wired to show 'full' all the time.

I feel anything that would be able to read from both tanks ( or just the one ) or swapped over would have to be bespoke (expensive) and add another drain to (if you install one) a 12v battery that cant (?) be charged off the engine .

To be able to have a 'fill' opening and a vent and a level sender takes up space on the top of the tank - I think Space is at a premium for us smaller ribbers.

Anyhow - your battery may need to be easily removed or have wiring allow a 'plug in' charger. ( not sure how you store the boat - mines a garage so this is easy in this case)

just some thoughts......
Old 22 November 2013, 17:00   #3

Town: Stotfold
Boat name: kimozo 2
Make: Ribtec
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 115 efi 4 st
Mike I have a fixed plastic fuel tank 43lts fitted under my seat, and just lift seat to fill, no fuel gauge ( bit of a pain really as cant see fuel used) but use a calibrated dip stick when stationary, there are gauges and senders that have a lever arm inside tank on float , did think about it but not sure have stable a reading when under way on sea.

I have a extra 25ltr portable tank with a fuel gauge that i fit into the bow area strapped down,it has a seperate fuel line fitted to the tank + a primer bulb and a fitting at engine end, so all i have to do is swop over fuel pipe at engine.

as peter said can still get stuff in front of boat and take out when not reqd also puts a bit of weight in bow.
Old 22 November 2013, 17:09   #4

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
the console on my SR4 has a tank fitted that goes from front of console to approx half way along twin jockey seat, there is a shelf fitted above tank in console to take the battery
Old 22 November 2013, 21:36   #5

Length: 3m +
Chris - one of the things that has always scared me is storing fuel in a relatively enclosed space (under the seat) with the battery in the same compartment... have you thought about that?
Old 22 November 2013, 22:32   #6

Town: Daventry & Beaulieu
Boat name: Tigga2
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Engine: Honda BF50
MMSI: 235900806
RIBase
I prefer external fuel tanks. That way I can run with two three or four tanks depending on what range I need (one in the bow area, one under the seat, two side by side behind the seat). Also it's dead easy to clean an external tank out if it gets contaminated.

Chris
chris.moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2013, 08:30   #7

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
Chris - one of the things that has always scared me is storing fuel in a relatively enclosed space (under the seat) with the battery in the same compartment... have you thought about that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.moody View Post
I prefer external fuel tanks. That way I can run with two three or four tanks depending on what range I need (one in the bow area, one under the seat, two side by side behind the seat). Also it's dead easy to clean an external tank out if it gets contaminated.

Chris
I guess like anything else we do there's compromises to make, I'm not too worried about an under tank as the battery is in a separate compartment built into the console, at the end of the day it's all on a 4mtr rib so whatever I do they will be fairly close together. in some ways I feel safer with a single built in tank than having several external tanks on the deck, at least the way it is now it's safe from any impacts etc. if we do have a problem with contamination there is a reasonably good access hatch to get into the tank, so best of both worlds I think, time will tell