Old 13 June 2002, 20:35   #1

Town: Fareham
Make: Solent Ribs
Length: 6.6
Engine: Inboard Diesel
Fuel for inboard diesels

I am awaiting delivery of my first diesel powered rib and wondered what the options were to purchasing relatively expensive Marina diesel(worst still, local garage). My household fuel is I believe only 28 sec and I understand that "red" agricultural diesel(and also presumably marina diesel) is higher grade than this. What can I fuel my engine with(1.7tdi Mercruiser) and where can I get it? I have room to store my own fuel, is this legal? Any advice would be greatly appreciated (by my wallet).
Old 13 June 2002, 21:36   #2

Town: Poole
Length: no boat
Martin

There are various places on the south coast where you can get an account and save a few pence over cash deals. I hold an account in Poole which allows me access to fuel 24hrs/day.

The south is quite expensive and prices vary a few pence so check around. As diesel is available all over the place I wouldn't bother with the hassle of storing it.

Even with my Yanmar fueling up is something that doesn't happen that often so with your 1.7 I should make a yearly note in your diary to check your tanks !

regards

Mark
Old 14 June 2002, 11:01   #3
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Martin

You are going to need to do a lot of hours to make it worthg storing your own diesel. Even the most expensive marina is unlikely to charge more than 35p/litre, and with a bit of shopping around you should be able to get it for about 25p/litre -- even in the Solent.

The best price that I know of is in Cowes, just past the floating bridge on the West side of the river.

You will also find that it is quite easy to strike a deal with a marina if you fill up there regularly, even if you don't set up an account.

Always haggle -- most places do charge an inflated price for casual visitors!

John
Old 14 June 2002, 16:27   #4

Town: Upavon, Wiltshire
Boat name: Dromedary
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.55
Engine: Honda 130
Hi

have a look at www.totalbutler.co.uk and see if they have a depot near you the advantage is you can also set up an account for DERV and get this cheaper too.

John
Old 14 June 2002, 19:34   #5

Town: Iver, Bucks, UK
Boat name: Prime Rib II
Make: Humber Ocean Pro
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercruiser 1.7 diese
MMSI: 235086032
I live inland, (near Slough) and I am also awaiting delivery of a new boat with the Mercruiser 1.7. I just asked at my local canal marina in Uxbridge and they are only charging 29p per litre. I could fill up there before I go but frankly after being used to paying the price for petrol for my old 2 stoke engines at 80p or so, even 35p is going to be like free.... until Mr Brown notices!

Mike C

By the way, yes there are rules about how much you can store at home. I don't know what the max is but I suspect the 150 litres in my new boat would probably technically break it! Just fill up at the marina and smile at those buying petrol!
Old 14 June 2002, 22:02   #6

Town: Fareham
Make: Solent Ribs
Length: 6.6
Engine: Inboard Diesel
Thanks guys, i'll enjoy cruising around and sounding out the south coast marinas this summer.However does anyone have any info on the grade of 'diesel' required and is performance/economy/longevity affected significantly by using different grade fuel.Could I use domestic heating fuel for example?
Martin