Old 29 December 2005, 17:33   #1

Town: Poole
Make: Humber - Ocean Pro
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Mariner Optimax
Frost damage???

I have just returned from the boat yard having handed over a deposit cheque for next season. (Gone up another 10%! )

While there I had a quick check of the boat to make sure all was OK and to my dismay found that the back wash well had about 4" of frozen water in it.

I couldn't tell if it was solid ice but it was too thick to break by hand.

What is the likleyhood of damage occurring as a result of the ice expanding? Has anyone had experience of this?

I intend to go down tomorrow armed with some antifreeze and some salt, melt the ice with hot salty water and pour in some antifreeze solution.
Only problem being that it will almost certainly drain out of the trunk which is down leaving very little solution in the well. I have an overall cover over the boat but it leaks around the A-frame holes so is bound to fill up again when we have rain.

Does anyone have any ideas on the best method of avoiding this potential disaster?

Please help, I'm worried now!

Thanks

Nick
Old 29 December 2005, 17:43   #2
ADS

Town: Dorset
Length: 4m +
Leave the bilge pump on auto, so it pumps out, or angle the boat up with the jockey wheel so the water drains out.
You in a Christchurch or a Bournemouth boat yard?

Alex
Old 29 December 2005, 17:47   #3

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Can't you raise the bow and leave out the drain plug for the well so everything drains away?
This has to be so obvious a solution, it's not feasible!!
Old 29 December 2005, 17:49   #4

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
OOps - ADS beat me to it!
Old 29 December 2005, 18:04   #5
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
Sorry to be the ever present Eco Warrior but antifreeze probably isn't the best idea!! (Unless you want a pod of dolphins confused about their sexuality !)

I doubt it will be any damage to the boat at all in any case.

Think about canals etc..... when they freeze over they do not rupture the banks as the ice expands upwards along the line of least resistance.

A good and very cheap alternative is some good old sea water which wont freeze unless it get very very cold! Failing that a cover is a good option

Chris
Old 29 December 2005, 18:16   #6

Town: Dublin
Boat name: wizzard
Make: REDBAY
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 optimax
Blow a balloon up in the well

WHEN THE CAT IS AWAY THE MICE GO TO REDBAY..............
gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2005, 21:20   #7

Town: Dublin & Enniscrone
Boat name: K'adó
Make: Redbay
Engine: Suzuki 300
Ball solution

Balloon might burst over time. try a soft plastic inflated ball. If the ice expands the ball will be cmpressed before any hull damage wil occour.

Rgds
Old 29 December 2005, 22:17   #8

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Nick, it sounds like you're treating the symptom, not the cause! you ought to be able to leave the boat in a situation where 4" of water can't accumultae to freeze. I achieve this by poking a piece of hose through the elephant trunk so that the well drains natrually, avoiding the need for the electric bilge pump. Don't rely on the electrics, that's a recipe for disaster!
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2005, 23:43   #9

Town: Fareham
I wouldn't worry about the water freezing unless it's completely captivated on all sides. Ice does expand but providing there is and escape route for it to expand into I would worry. Used to have a part raised Koi pond that froze in the winter, I had a 9 degree incline on the walls just for this purpose, as the ice formed it pushed upwards.

However it is a bad practice to have standing water in your boat as it might find its way into the fibreglass and then you'll realy be f***ed

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2005, 00:37   #10

Town: Brittany
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezgoing
try a soft plastic inflated ball. If the ice expands the ball will be cmpressed before any hull damage wil occour.
I understood that the ball will be forced up over the ice layer as it freezes, or that's the way it happened with the telephone poles in my brothers (slightly) above ground swimminhg pool.
Old 30 December 2005, 16:03   #11

Town: Winchester
Boat name: Thumper
Make: Ribtec
Engine: 200 Opti
Frost damage

What we use in the swimming pool is a slightly wieghted down plastic carton that floats, but the bottom is below the surface so the plastic can give and take the expansion. Will have to be a small bottle to fit in the splash well and plastic not to brittle that it will crack. Plastic milk cartoon seems suitable. But if you can keep the well dry that would be better.
Old 31 December 2005, 11:32   #12
DGR

Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
If the ice isn't enclosed - is occasional water freezing really a problem anyway?

I don't seem to have to replace the ice trays in the freezer each time I make a load of ice cubes... ...

But I agree that water sitting in the boat is a bad idea - as is leaving your pumps on. Unless you have a completely level storage area (I've never found one yet), just leave it pointing uphill, or crank the jockey wheel up as far as you can to get the bow as high as possible.

D...
Old 31 December 2005, 17:31   #13

Town: Fareham
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGR

I don't seem to have to replace the ice trays in the freezer each time I make a load of ice cubes... ...

D...
That's because ice cube holders are either very flexible "rubber" ones or there is an incline on the sides forcing the freezing water up.

In an open swimming pool if the sides are vertical the ice will push out the walls and destroy the structure, that's why bottles and the like are used.

No water......No freezing..... That's the philosophy!

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 January 2006, 13:18   #14
DGR

Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower
That's because ice cube holders are either very flexible "rubber" ones or there is an incline on the sides forcing the freezing water up.

In an open swimming pool if the sides are vertical the ice will push out the walls and destroy the structure, that's why bottles and the like are used.

No water......No freezing..... That's the philosophy!
I realise that - but I don't think that you can guarantee that there is no water in the boat.

On mine, the areas that water would/could collect doesn't have vertical sides, so I don't worry about it too much. I'd be a little surprised if the well on a RIB would be designed with vertical sides - especially as they are used in places where it can get a bit chilly in the darker months......

D...