Old 01 September 2012, 21:23   #1
RIBnet supporter

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne
Boat name: El Presidente
Make: Humber Assault
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard, 70hp, 2st
From SIB to RIB - Advice and Pointers Please

We currently have a 4.7m SIB with a 50hp motor with tiller steering. We're looking to sell this and buy 2 RIB's, one around 4.2m and one around 3.8m. The slightly larger one is for my Dad and the smaller is for me and my family (wife and 3 children aged 11, 8 and 5). We'd want them both with engines powerful enough to pull a water skier, wakeboarder or inflatable toys and we'd prefer them to have steering wheels instead of tiller steering.

We've had the SIB for 2 years and have used it for 3 holidays in the South of France and Spain. We use it for towing inflatable toys, skiers, etc when we tend to have 4 on the boat max, plus whatever is being towed. We also use it for ferrying people around for snorkelling and cliff jumping and in these instances we have up to 10 people aboard, all with life jackets and snorkelling gear.

We want to be able to do the same type of thing, but with 2 boats so that we have a little more flexibility if some want to snorkel and cliff jump and others want to water ski etc.

I've been seraching the internet and I've found a make called Europa that do a 3.3m but that's probably a bit too small and a make called Valiant that do a 3.8m which I think would be just right for me. I'm looking for 2nd hand for both of them so that I can get best value for my money (my Mum taught me to be careful with money).

Other than ebay and the For Sale section on here where else should I be looking? Also are there any other RIB manufacturers that I should be looking at who make RIB's of this size?

It seems like all I do is ask questions on here instead of providing any help. One day when I figure out what I'm doing I may become a useful member of the forum instead of a parasite. ;-)
Old 02 September 2012, 21:03   #2
RIBnet supporter

Sorry to reply to my own thread, but does this look like a good deal for my smaller RIB? It's at the limit of what I'd like to spend but if it looks a good deal I'll get in touch with the seller.

RIBEYE RIB 3.4m, Yamaha 2 stroke 25hp and new Indespension trailer | eBay

Thanks. :-)
Old 03 September 2012, 08:53   #3

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
For what you are asking I think 3.8m is too small & the one you have linked to will not be powerful enough to water ski from! We are a family of 5 too & have a 3.8m sib which if fine for beech hoping but the difference in going out in our 4.2m SR is massive & with a 50Hp on it is capable of towing even me water skiing!
+ the kids are only going to grow & very quickly too!

How about this?
AVON SEARIDER 4M RIB RIGID INFLATABLE BOAT SPEED SKI POWER 50HP OUTBOARD & RINGO | eBay
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 September 2012, 11:22   #4

Town: LONDON
Make: SR4/ZODIAC/3D
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30T/40T
I agree, I reckon you maybe two "sizes" too small for your family of five. My SR4 is just on the limit size wise for myself and my two sons, 8 and 14. Give your SIB to your dad and get a 4.5 -5 metre RIB for yourself.
Children grow exponentially, so picture them in two years time. Wives grow in a manner unto themselves, that will help with buoyancy when overboard but can seem like ballast at other times.
With the SIB still "in the family" you will still have flexibility if you don't want to tow.
Old 04 September 2012, 20:37   #5

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
agree with size , comments , 4.2 is the minimum and cheaper ones tend to be quite narrow compared to a similar sib . Your 4.7 sib with tiler steer must have about the same amount of room as a 6m rib
Its really not easy to find decent small ribs and impossible for under 4k with the power you want
I prefer a tiller steer on the smaller rib you can do so much more with it but it takes some getting used to it gives lots of room in the boat especially for climbing in and out from the water .

keep your 50 tiller and go buy a 4.2 tohatsu rib for about 2k brand new would be the best way
Old 04 September 2012, 20:44   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes View Post
agree with size , comments , 4.2 is the minimum and cheaper ones tend to be quite narrow compared to a similar sib . Your 4.7 sib with tiler steer must have about the same amount of room as a 6m rib
Its really not easy to find decent small ribs and impossible for under 4k with the power you want
I prefer a tiller steer on the smaller rib you can do so much more with it but it takes some getting used to it gives lots of room in the boat especially for climbing in and out from the water .

keep your 50 tiller and go buy a 4.2 tohatsu rib for about 2k brand new would be the best way
And how much more of an agreeable comment could one wish to have?
Old 04 September 2012, 21:21   #7

I didn't dare agree with comment about "wives growing in a manner unto themselves" having just been asked from the sofa what i was laughing at .
Old 04 September 2012, 21:31   #8

Ah, I see. So when you say "agree with size, comments" you really mean "as long as the ballast, I mean bouyancy" doesn't get read by the sofa. Sofas have eyes. And buttons. Push them all first to see what happens.
Anyway, glad we agree.
Sofa so good.
Old 06 September 2012, 09:59   #9
RIBnet supporter

Thanks for all your suggestions, these things are never as simple as I imagine but you've all given me something to think about. It's much appreciated.

Cheers
Mark
Old 06 September 2012, 13:33   #10

never simple Mark is an understatement , i sold a nice little lodestar 4.1 rib last year and kept my tohatsu 50 thinking i would pick up a slightly larger rib .
Finding a used one was impossible , and new there are not many suitable under 6k
Then i discover they all require a long shaft engine so ended up having to convert my
tohatsu from short to long which cost nearly a grand just for the parts alone .
The lack of 50hp 2 strokes is also a huge issue as there really isn't an alternative in 4 stroke for small boats due to wieght hence they all end up with 30 4 stroke and not much go for your your needs . So whatever you do , don't sell your 50 if its a good one