Old 27 June 2019, 20:03   #1

Town: Horsham
Boat name: NA
Make: NA
Length: 6m +
Engine: NA
From Brighton Marina Ideas

Hi All

I’ve been a member for a while not but all being well this weekend I will be purchasing my first Rib (Ribeye 600). I would be keeping her in Brighton Marina but I honestly have no idea where to go from Brighton Marina for day trips including some nice lunch spots accessible by Rib?

Any advice and help would be much appreciated 👍
Old 27 June 2019, 22:05   #2

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Well, depends how far you want to go but a very easy and local one to at least begin with is pop round to Eastbourne marina for starters and lunch at Simply Italian. Good practice for coming in and out of harbours and using the VHF.
Old 27 June 2019, 22:42   #3
RIBnet supporter

Town: Cowes
Boat name: Clear Dawn
Make: Cormate
Length: 7m +
Engine: Verado 200
MMSI: 235924981
Littlehampton isn’t far and it’s a great run up the river to Arundel, a bit further and you can tie up at the Black Rabbit. Excellent day out!
Old 28 June 2019, 07:01   #4

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Forgot to say, a bit further - come round to Rye just before Dungeness - plenty of water to come all the way into town if you get the tides right and Rye is a stunning little town with great restaurants and bars, cafes, antique shops etc.
Old 28 June 2019, 11:06   #5
Administrator

Town: Brighton
I wouldn’t keep it at Brighton at all to be honest as your options will be too limited. If you go for a base further west you’ll have so many more possibilities that the driving will be worth it.

Personally I’d probably go for KB Boatpark in Old Portsmouth as the best compromise of driving vs access to the Solent.

Northney or Sparkes on Hayling Island are a bit closer, but not quite so convenient when you’re on the water. Drivers Wharf or Southampton Drystack would also be worth considering.
Old 28 June 2019, 11:08   #6
Administrator

From Brighton Marina Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferryman View Post
Littlehampton isn’t far and it’s a great run up the river to Arundel, a bit further and you can tie up at the Black Rabbit. Excellent day out!

LA to Arundel is pretty dull as river trips go, due to the massive flood embankments obscuring the view. Maybe worth doing once for curiosity but hardly a major attraction. Mooring at the Black Rabbit can be a challenge too.
Old 28 June 2019, 12:46   #7

Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
I wouldn’t keep it at Brighton at all to be honest as your options will be too limited. If you go for a base further west you’ll have so many more possibilities that the driving will be worth it.

Personally I’d probably go for KB Boatpark in Old Portsmouth as the best compromise of driving vs access to the Solent.

Northney or Sparkes on Hayling Island are a bit closer, but not quite so convenient when you’re on the water. Drivers Wharf or Southampton Drystack would also be worth considering.
I very much agree with John as I used to keep my demo ribs at Littlehampton Marina but as the river is tidel we were restricted to how often we could go. Eventually the trips to Brighton for lunch got boring so 5 ribs moved out to Chichester Marina, me included. After the first season I got fed up of the 40 minute at 6 knots cruise to the Solent so I moved to Southampton Dry Stack. That was back in 2008. Best move I made as around the Solent there are lots of places to visit even trips to Poole and beyond for a 6 mtr rib are durable not to mention the Channel Islands.
I have 60 miles from home to SDS and it is worth it.
Old 28 June 2019, 19:33   #8
RIBnet supporter

Town: Cowes
Boat name: Clear Dawn
Make: Cormate
Length: 7m +
Engine: Verado 200
MMSI: 235924981
Quote:
LA to Arundel is pretty dull as river trips go, due to the massive flood embankments obscuring the view. Maybe worth doing once for curiosity but hardly a major attraction. Mooring at the Black Rabbit can be a challenge too.

I must have had a better view from the fly bridge of my SR4 [emoji1]
Old 28 June 2019, 21:13   #9

Town: Horsham
Boat name: NA
Make: NA
Length: 6m +
Engine: NA
Thank you all for the advice, I think I may keep her at Brighton initially to ensure the maximum usage and I think to begin with everything will be exciting regardless of where I go. But I take on board all of the helpful advice and would most probably look to move her after the first year to broaden my horizons.

I have a few other questions regarding the possibilities from Brighton:

* Is a day trip to IOW possible?

*I presume a trip to the Channel Islands would need to be split up by stopping in or around the Solent before heading over?
Old 29 June 2019, 08:49   #10
Administrator

A day trip from Brighton to the Isle of Wight is perfectly possible, but in a 6m RIB it’s going to feel like a big day out and you’d want some decent weather. Selsey Bill can be interesting.

Channel Islands could be a direct run from Brighton given sufficient fuel range, but going via the Solent would allow you to top off your fuel at Yarmouth and would minimise the time that you spend significantly off shore. Either way it’s a serious trip and not to be taken lightly. Cherbourg would be a much easier first time cross Channel destination.
Old 29 June 2019, 09:44   #11

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:

X2 Opens up so many more options

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote