Click Here to Login

Old 03 October 2007, 10:17   #21

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
I hate wearing a drysuit. But for winter you can't beat it. I also have to go in the water when launching and retrieving so its really a must now the water is getting cold.

NR.
Old 03 October 2007, 11:01   #22

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Interesting thread here

Water temperature I't's my understanding that the huge mass of the sea prohibits it from warming up or cooling down quickly as air temperature does.
I don't think the sea gets colder till late November/December likewise it's not warm in March/April

Going in, how many of have actualy been ejected from our ribs! What is the chances of it happening if excercising normal caution.

my definition of a good day on the slipway is that it's a good day if your nuts don't get wet. If your launching/recovery technique/encompasses that partikewlar sensory delight thaen wet suit is probably good.

Thermalw are really important and so is a grab bag of spare warm clothes/jackets and of course TPA's
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 October 2007, 11:14   #23

Town: Lee on the Solent
Boat name: Saintlee
Make: Leeway
Length: 6m +
Engine: Evinrude DI 115
As someone who windsurfs as well I keep a pretty good eye on water temperature and you are right Mr Rogue Wave. The temp is on a very slow decline at the moment, but still around 16degC and is not likely to hit single figures until the end of December, beginning of January. February and March are always the coldest months with the Solent temp generally getting as low as 6 degC. Oct and Nov it's often warmer in the water than it is in the chill above it!

Last winter, however, the unseasonally mild weather in December and January meant that water temps didn't drop below 11 and we saw highs of 22 this summer as a result (normally 18-20)
Old 03 October 2007, 13:39   #24

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostboy View Post
(I'm surprised J Fuller hasn't been on here to tell us to "get more freeboard if you're worried about going over the side, I only wear a T-shirt and shorts even in February............")
...and wearing anything warmer than a pair of a long cotton pants surely means that you're a Bowie knife toting Rambo wannabe... (he seems to be obsessed with Bowie knives)

On this side of the pond, flotation suits (coveralls or bib/coat combos) such as these are very popular (with thermal undergarments of course);

http://www.mustangsurvival.com/produ...gory.php?mc=84

While they are more bulky and not watertight like a drysuit is, they are less costy and generally more durable for general use/work while on the water. By more durable, I mean that a small nick/cut in the outer fabric will not negate their effectiveness.
Old 03 October 2007, 17:37   #25
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave View Post
Interesting thread here

Water temperature I't's my understanding that the huge mass of the sea prohibits it from warming up or cooling down quickly as air temperature does.
I don't think the sea gets colder till late November/December likewise it's not warm in March/April
Yeah but it's bloody cold getting out into cold air-hence the water feels colder if that makes sense?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 October 2007, 19:03   #26

Town: Valencia
Length: no boat
gosh this thread is bringing back memories of laser sailing in UK winter - deffo drysuit, 1 piece woolly bear, balaclava & gloves. I drank so much tea to warm up I only ever sailed for an hour tops till I had to get back to go for a pee! have to be careful you don´t think you are in a wetsuit. Also, let air out or if you fall in upside down you stay bobbing about with air round your ankles.

My advice is get yourself over to Spain for some winter sun & warm Med sea. I have been looking for a holiday cottage in the UK Lakes this winter & the weekly rental prices are eye watering, you can get a villa with heated pool over here for that, with flights & car hire you still have lots of spending money left.

Cheers all
Old 03 October 2007, 19:20   #27

Town: Easdale
Make: Humber/Quinquari
Length: 10m +
Engine: Outboard
Floatation Suits

We operate our Commercial RIBs in Scotland throughoutthe winter. We are spared launch/recovery. There are certain conditions when only a drysuit will do. The other accessories for these sorts of conditions will include wetsuit hood, aqua specs or diving mask, neoprene ski mouth/nose cover etc. Who cares what one looks like when the weather is this bad
At all other times skippers/crew use a one piece floatation suit for comfort. (Aquafloat) They are more than adequate and cost effective. Fishermen, Northern Lighthouse Board and others all use these suits.
In the summer we change to a 2 piece lighter floatation suit but have to suffer crotch straps to the jacket.
Old 04 October 2007, 07:03   #28

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
eBay shop

http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZshuttheduckup

This guy on ebay has some good stuff I have a pair of GIL KeyWest Salopettes and will get a Key West Jacket. I thik I paid £40 for the salopettes and they are very comfortable and warm.

Chris