Old 28 January 2007, 10:37   #1

Town: St Helier JERSEY
Boat name: Barney
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 350 Yamaha
Freshwater tank and pump

Has anyone got any experience fitting one of these? I'd like to be able to wash down my decks and flush the engine from my mooring.
Old 28 January 2007, 14:23   #2

Town: Newcastle upon Tyne
Boat name: Happy Hours
Engine: 300 Verado
MMSI: 235040122
Just a word of warning, I wanted one fitted to my new Scorp and GJ would not fit as he felt it would have a negative affect on the balance. Must be something in it as he was turning away money. My tank is te 100 gallon one and apparently that was the relevent issue. Boat is the 8.5..

Ollie
Old 29 January 2007, 14:27   #3

Town: Punta gorda Fl.
Boat name: War Machine
Make: Falcon U.S.A.
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 250 Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcamel View Post
Just a word of warning, I wanted one fitted to my new Scorp and GJ would not fit as he felt it would have a negative affect on the balance. Must be something in it as he was turning away money. My tank is te 100 gallon one and apparently that was the relevent issue. Boat is the 8.5..

Ollie
A water tank affecting the balance on a boat that size? It doesn't sound like a valid reason, passengers and gear affect the loading of a boat, seems to me a water tank should have little effect on a well engineered craft. I have a slightly larger rib than yours (9 meter) and have had as many as eighteen people on board under way and have not noticed that affecting "balance".
This boat also has two 125 gallon fuel tanks port and starboard, they have been full and empty and that hasn't noticeably affected it either. How much room do you have in the bilge? Maybe it would have been difficult for them to install on your boat?
They do have the collapsible (soft) water tanks (bags) on the market, if someone wants fresh water for drinking or showering these work well enough for most smaller boats.
Old 29 January 2007, 14:33   #4

Town: Newcastle upon Tyne
Boat name: Happy Hours
Engine: 300 Verado
MMSI: 235040122
Not sure really. To be honest I did not look into it after the initial no came back from the builders. All the points you make are very valid and seem quite reasonable. Not sure why they were not keen on doing it, they install them on other boats in the range?

Ollie
Old 29 January 2007, 19:04   #5

Town: Galway
Boat name: rockhopper
Make: ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: petrol
MMSI: TBC
Legit water onboard

I had a tank in the stern of the marlin 16.Couldnt use water in it as it pointed the bow to the stars.
I had to leave it empty and as it was, It still pointed high. I added Hydro planes on Engine, they made the trim much more responsive and really made steady the steering which had I left it "hands Free" she would have "Tank slapped" as motor cyclists call it or flick to side. Lost 2.5 kts off top end but very steady.
Old 30 January 2007, 21:54   #6

Town: St Helier JERSEY
Boat name: Barney
Engine: 350 Yamaha
Not asked GJ yet. Was planning to do this when boat back in Jersey. Doesn't need to be huge, so I can't imagine any issues with balance.

Can anyone point me to a manufacturer's website? I've not been able to find much myself.

Cheers
Old 01 February 2007, 15:49   #7

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
I wanted to install a small (15 gallon or so) freshwater shower for post-dive rinsing, but haven't got beyond the wish-list stage.

For the pumps: Jabsco, Shurflo, and Plastimo are pretty big names over here.

Don't know about tanks; probably be a custom job depending on where you wanted to mount one.

There are a couple of places that sell a collapsible bladder type freshwater tank; was thinking about looking into that before I got sidetracked on other things.

Luck;

jky