Old 24 May 2005, 18:00   #1

Town: Wrington
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: Evinrude
French Med

We have just bought a new rib, and want to tow it to the south of France this August. We are a family of four - kids are 12 and 10 - and shall be taking a tent. We aim to complete level 2 of RYA and get an ICC, but would appreciate any info regarding good launch sites, or campsites with direct launch access. In fact we would be grateful for ANY helpful advice, being novices! Thanks, Jo.
Old 24 May 2005, 18:44   #2
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
You'll have a great time!

I don't know about camp sites, but there was some general discussion about the south of France a while back that might be useful http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6266

John
Old 25 May 2005, 10:43   #3

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Hi try this lot for camp sites!
http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/
Nick
Old 25 May 2005, 10:52   #4

Town: bristol
Boat name: sea you
Make: sealine
Length: 7m +
Engine: inboard petrol volvo
We are going to S of F this year too. Three small trailable cruisers and their families.
We had a weekend out there in Feb to try and get some info on launching and this is what we found if any use.
Slipway at Cavalaire is public but unlike our slipways it only goes back a few feet and then a sheer drop off the end!! although it will be OK to launch and recover our 23 foot boats so should be OK for you. Parking for car and trailer there is in the sports stadium in the town.No charge but cannot book and no security and no guarantee it won't be full!!
Good slip at Ste Maxime but directly off the main road thorough town.This was the only town that was busy in Feb so goodness knows what it's like in August!! We deceded arriving with three 23 foot boats was just too risky but one boat may be OK as there was a small parking space you could pull into before launching.Again car and trailer parking a bit of a problem there.
Slip at St Raphael marina good slip again similar to Cavalaire.Boat yard couldn't agree parking with us then but said to contact them later on.Have done that and they have never replied!! even though letter written in french!
Travelled the whole length of that coast and only found those slipways that were open to the public.others were for the boat owners moored in the marinas.
After many web searches found car and trailer parking at Cogolin 10 miles inland of Cavalaire. Car and trailer stored under cover for 2 weeks in July/August with security guard on site for £58. Not open Saturday pm and Sunday Address is www.cigiema.fr/garbat/english.htm.
Make e mail contact in French{go to translation web page and translate what you want to ask ] and then they will answer you in English after a few e mails!!
Any more queries just ask!!
May see you done there enjoying the sun
Cindy
Old 25 May 2005, 12:59   #5

Town: London
Make: Humber Ocean Extreme
Length: 8m
Engine: Optimax 225
If any one has any contacts or ideas for berthing or boat and trailer storage in the Monaco-Nice- Cannes area I would be grateful to hear.

If I am succesful as a result of a contact
I will offer a free long weekend/ mid week stay in an elegant Nice apartment which sleeps up to 6 in 3 seperate bedrooms (not flights but Sleazy Jet can be dead cheap )
Old 25 May 2005, 18:44   #6

Town: bristol
Boat name: sea you
Make: sealine
Engine: inboard petrol volvo
Try this web page as they have all boat storage/repair yards/car and trailer storage/dry stack etc listed on the Cote d'Azur.
http://www.cote-azur.com.fr/azur/adr...age_de_bateau/
Hope you manage to find somewhere suitable
Cindy
Old 26 May 2005, 14:09   #7

Town: London
Make: Humber Ocean Extreme
Length: 8m
Thanks I'll let you know
Old 09 June 2005, 15:38   #8

Town: Coltishall/Hyeres
Boat name: Mazarine Blue
Make: Ribeye
Engine: Yamaha 80HP
Wrington by now you have most probably booked your holiday but in case you haven't ,I have a suggestion.I have a house on the beach in the S. of France
in a place called the Presqu'ile de Giens which can be found due South of Hyeres. Hyeres is about 40 k to the West of St.Tropez.The area is renowned for its Watersports and the small islands just off the coast are a great place to explore in particular the ile de Porquerolles which is beautiful and has some of the lovliest beaches in France and being only 15 mins from the mainland it is a safe place for novices to go (unless the Mistral is blowing)
I am lucky enough to have a mooring in front of my house and use my rib for rescuing my family windsurfing,fishing diving etc. This is also a great area if you
don't want to pay silly prices for drinks eating out and although it is busy in August it does not get gridlocked like some of the more fashionable resorts.
There are a number of campsites on the Presqu'ile de Giens and if your family like
watersports the best is Camping International who speak English. This is located
right by the sea and you can launch your rib at the tiny port of La Madrague which is less than 1k from the campsite.It may also be possible to store your rib at the campsite. Hope you sort it out have a nice holiday.
Old 09 June 2005, 15:42   #9

Sorry forgot to mention the website for Camping International is:
www.international-giens.com

There are also some photos of the area on this site and you can see
the Ile de Porquerolles.
Old 09 June 2005, 15:46   #10
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Looks like a great place! Some photos here http://www.locations-vacance.com/la_presqu.htm

John
Old 09 June 2005, 16:19   #11

John super photos we live roughly between the two kites you can see on the photo of plage de l,Almanarre (on the far shore) and thanks for the ad.offer but my business is Pharmaceuticals and therfore I can only advertise to the Trade.
Regards Jonathan
Old 09 June 2005, 18:01   #12

Town: Wrington
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: Evinrude
Jonathan, thanks for the great reply and info on the campsite and launching etc. Thanks also to John for those fantastic photos! We have booked for the summer now, but will definitely be pencilling in this region for the future, it looks superb, and we are very green with envy that you are fortunate enough to have a house there!

We have settled on Argeles sur Mer which is very close to the Spanish border with France on the med side, and we believe it to be very picturesque - once south of the very long sandy beaches. We think that it is possible to launch at the harbour there - although emails to tourist office are as yet unanswered! The campsite "Camping La Marende" is more than happy for us to keep our boat there, and although there is no launching from site, it is very close to the beach. The kids are very happy!

I shall try to post our experiences - which will hopefully be great - on our return, but until then I hope everybody has a great summer.

Regards, Jo.
Old 10 June 2005, 22:29   #13

Town: Havant
Boat name: Mrs Chips
Make: Scorpion
There are not many slipways in the Cannes to Monaco stretch of the coast but several Boatyards (Chantier Navale) who would launch for you - Antibes - Baie des Anges etc. The problem will be storage of the trailer - there are several large warehouses up the Var river behind Nice airport that may help. Also I believe some storage in the Golfe Juan area. Bon Chance!