Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Foulies

The "running all winter" thread has got me thinking. Last time out in the usual goretex jacket & overtrousers we all got chilled. What with the Bass fishing trip coming up, I don't want to give the missus an excuse not to go, so I'm on the lookout for some decent foul weather gear. Seeing as our local TK Maxx's are sticking to the usual pink shell suits & pre ripped jeans, I ain't going to get the Mustos. So, I've been looking at the Fladen immersion suits, the Bogmeister recommends these highly & at 80 they seem to good to be true. Anybody got any other recommendations without having to sell a kidney? Also I'm leaning towards the 1 piece suit rather than the jacket & salopettes, thoughts?
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 October 2010, 06:31   #2

Town: Salisbury/Poole
Boat name: Blue C
Make: XS 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: 125hp Opti
MMSI: 235082826/235909566
Why not just get a diving undersuit (Wooley bear) and keep the foulies more virsatile then . Add Undersuit for cold or just foulies for better weather

Old 05 October 2010, 06:45   #3
RIBnet supporter

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
We've got various undersuits, it's more the outers that I was looking at, We've got the usual hiking waterproofs but when the water is coming in all directions (including uphill) it eventually gets through. I don't particularly want to wear my diving drysuit when we're fishing as,
a, it can get too warm &
b, I don't want a fishing hook in a 700 quid suit.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 October 2010, 07:04   #4

Town: N. Pembrokeshire
Boat name: Various
Make: RIBs & Hovercraft
Length: 9m +
Engine: Outboards
MMSI: Various
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
I don't particularly want to wear my diving drysuit when we're fishing as,
a, it can get too warm &
b, I don't want a fishing hook in a 700 quid suit.
Know anyone on a LB crew your way? There were quite a few ex service drysuits in the last clearance round....often need a bit of repair, but cheap

Follow us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php...17306504953480
Razorbill RIBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 October 2010, 07:26   #5
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
The "running all winter" thread has got me thinking. Last time out in the usual goretex jacket & overtrousers we all got chilled. What with the Bass fishing trip coming up, I don't want to give the missus an excuse not to go, so I'm on the lookout for some decent foul weather gear. Seeing as our local TK Maxx's are sticking to the usual pink shell suits & pre ripped jeans, I ain't going to get the Mustos. So, I've been looking at the Fladen immersion suits, the Bogmeister recommends these highly & at 80 they seem to good to be true. Anybody got any other recommendations without having to sell a kidney? Also I'm leaning towards the 1 piece suit rather than the jacket & salopettes, thoughts?
Flotation suit gets my vote unless you are planning to go in the water or get waste deep when launching. Only problem may be its too warm in October! I have a one piece (not a Fladden, but I've worn a fladden before and nothing wrong with them). I don't regret my one piece decision but if Mrs P was getting one i'd go 2 piece as she's harder to keep happy (with temp, toilet stops etc...). The only downside could be the the 275 v's 150N lifejacket question when wearing one.
Old 05 October 2010, 08:04   #6

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Mrs P was getting one i'd go 2 piece as she's harder to keep happy (with temp, toilet stops etc...).
Mrs P needs a toilet stop
Old 05 October 2010, 08:10   #7

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
Mrs P needs a toilet stop
Or a fish box.
Old 05 October 2010, 08:13   #8

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Or a fish box.

Lucky it wasn't Mrs S then
Old 05 October 2010, 10:16   #9

Town: Taunton
Boat name: Bravo Papa, Tesco
Make: Humber, Avon
Engine: 40hp/90hp
re: foulies

Do not use ordinary Goretex suits (mountain climbing clothing) on their own, as the salt destroys the pores of the Goretex. You can buy specially treated goretex from companies like Henri Lloyd or the Musto HPX but these are meant for offshore sailors and RNLI crews and they cost between 350-450.

The XM range is not bad for its price, and don't knock this suggestion but Lidl do a decent range - depends on if it is still a manager's special, I know of a crew on a classic gaff ketch where the skipper has a Henri Lloyd suit and his crew has a Lidl suit and there is no difference in the quality of the material and its finishing and its performance, only the price is the massive difference.

D Mainwaring
Safety Boat instructor/ Advanced Powerboat helm
Dinghy Instructor
Old 05 October 2010, 11:07   #10

Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Mainwaring View Post
salt destroys the pores of the Goretex.
I may be wrong ( but i dont think so)
Pores are just holes in the fabric, many many times smaller then a water droplet, so water vapour can pass through, not water drops though.

To that end you cant destroy a hole, you can block it or make it bigger. Salt will block the pores, as will sweat, dirt, or many other things. you need to wash goretex regularly to maintain performance.
In addition a new goretex jacket will come with the outer fabric having a water replant coating to allow the water to "bead" off, over time this gets washed off to the outer nylon/cordura fabric starts to hold water, making it look like the garment is no longer waterproof. The gortex layer is unaffected by this and the garment reamins waterproof.
You should wash it in a re repellent solution periodically to allow the beading to re occur this stops the outer soaking up water.

I don't believe WL Gore use different bonding agents to stick the goretex to the nylon (i could be wrong), however to my knowledge the actual goretex fabric remain waterproof even if it de laminates from the nylon.

There is an old wives tail about marine goretex and non marine goretex.