Old 19 April 2008, 13:27   #11

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
thanks for suggestions. I will probably try my hand at making my own mooring and use the anchor as a backup. I will do a bit of searching on this - but when you say fill a tyre with concrete, do you mean fill the rim of a tyre or the rubber tyre itself. Also does the weight need to be buried - as its a rocky seabed. What kind of length chain/rope would i use to the buoy?

Thanks guys

Old 19 April 2008, 17:06   #12

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewUkR6 View Post
thanks for suggestions. I will probably try my hand at making my own mooring and use the anchor as a backup. I will do a bit of searching on this - but when you say fill a tyre with concrete, do you mean fill the rim of a tyre or the rubber tyre itself. Also does the weight need to be buried - as its a rocky seabed. What kind of length chain/rope would i use to the buoy?

Thanks guys
Just lay the tyre flat on a piece of wood, position an anchor eye in the centre supported by bricks or whatever and fill to the brim with contcrete and let set. I would use a length of chain that would be based on the length of the boat, the sea bed conditions and what sort of weather I was expecting. perhaps 10mm at a guess, someone will I'm sure give you a more accurate Idea of what you need.

I wouldn't worry about the mooring drifting as if the seabed is as rough as you suggest then it will get embedded in the rocks.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2008, 17:45   #13

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Hello Andrew,
Before you plan to create a "permanent" mooring off the coast, it may be wise to consider why there are no other moorings there (apart from the ring) and who owns such rights (probably the Duchy of Cornwall). It does look a bit exposed to the weather, perhaps accounting for the lack of swinging moorings in the area. I've looked at your earlier posts and you appear to have trailer and launching wheels... wouldn't these be better or are there no beaches and/or slipways in the area?
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2008, 18:12   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B View Post
Hello Andrew,
Before you plan to create a "permanent" mooring off the coast, it may be wise to consider why there are no other moorings there (apart from the ring) and who owns such rights (probably the Duchy of Cornwall). It does look a bit exposed to the weather, perhaps accounting for the lack of swinging moorings in the area. I've looked at your earlier posts and you appear to have trailer and launching wheels... wouldn't these be better or are there no beaches and/or slipways in the area?
Well this is what I suggest too, but Andrew is very persistant Richard.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 20 April 2008, 05:26   #15
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B View Post
...consider why there are no other moorings there (apart from the ring) and who owns such rights (probably the Duchy of Cornwall). ...
I would have thougt it was the crown estates commissioners unless it falls within the remit of a local harbour authority.

Quote:
Make sure you make the anchor line removable so that at the end of the two weeks you just leave the tyre ballast (unless you want to remove this too).
Leaving your old tyre is not the most eco-friendly piece of advice. One tyre won't ruin the planet. But if everyone here did it every time they went away for 1/2 weeks then you can be sure that the authorities will clamp down on "rogue" moorings. So I politely ask that you take your rubbish home at the end of the holiday.
Old 20 April 2008, 10:02   #16

Town: Brighton
The closest slipways are some miles away, its a very isolated location. It may be i end up launching daily, but it would have been great to keep the SIB at sea for a couple of days and not worry about getting back to the slips at high tide, and navigating some very tricky pathways with the boat etc.

I will speak to the guy who owns the estate. As for other moorings in the area their is a fishermans cove around the corner with an ancient slip (not in use anymore). Their are probably some moorings their but im not sure the local fishermen would be too happy if i borrow one of theirs!

As for retrieving the wheel at the end if i do decide to make my own - it was on my mind, and as its been a beautiful lcoation ive enjoyed for many years im sure i would like to leave it as i found it! I'd also ask the owner if he's happy with me to go ahead.

For those interested here is a Local Live aerial view of the surrounding area...

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...cl=1&encType=1
Old 20 April 2008, 12:27   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Leaving your old tyre is not the most eco-friendly piece of advice. One tyre won't ruin the planet. But if everyone here did it every time they went away for 1/2 weeks then you can be sure that the authorities will clamp down on "rogue" moorings. So I politely ask that you take your rubbish home at the end of the holiday.
Can't argue with you there. But I doubt that the odd tyre here or there is going to hurt, in actual fact might well support life rather than destroy it.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 20 April 2008, 15:36   #18

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Torro
Make: Aircraft
Engine: Outboard, Petrol 175
MMSI: 235061644
2 weeks anchoring

I've just come back from 2 weeks up in NW Scotland and was confronted with a similar situation. I set up my own mooring buoy anchored by twin anchors off 10m of chain each and 50m of warp each. Although you will need much less as my rib is 6.8m. Underneath the mooring buoy I shackled a galvinised pulley block and led 100m of warp from the rib's bow eye, through the pulley and back to a beach anchor. I then led 100m of warp off the transom eye and back to the beach anchor. I then had a pulley system, which allowed me to pull the boat back to the beach. You have to set up this system at low tide to assess all dangers but it works really well, as long as the beach anchor is uncovered at high tie, then it's a swim to get at your boat,