Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 07 August 2017, 10:28   #1

Town: Cork
Boat name: Cúr na dDonnta
Make: Excalibur + Zapcat
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc120TDI,Tohatsu50
For anyone following the Fastnet Race...

I just went to the Play store to get the Yellow Brick tracker for my Android phone and buy the Fastnet option to discover it's free. [emoji108] Terrific info and you can rewind individual tracks - very addictive.

I'm hoping to get down to the Rock at some point today/tomorrow to get a glimpse of some of the fast boats. I'd planned to combine it with some whale watching East of Cape Clear but the weather suggests it could be rough getting there via the Mizzen and miserable loitering out there 😥. Past experience showed it can mean long gaps between boats!
The tracker might be enough excitement without the misery!
Old 07 August 2017, 12:44   #2

Town: Lismore
Boat name: Jinty J
Make: Rib-X 535
Length: 5m +
Engine: Evinrude 75 Etec
Thanks for posting, well done for spotting that. I hadn't checked, as I assumed it would be charged for.
Old 07 August 2017, 18:08   #3

Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Scull
The fleet looked fantastic beating through the Solent yesterday, conditions were lumpy to say the least ( our rib got chucked around lots ) , great sight!
Old 09 August 2017, 09:29   #4

Town: St Mawes
Boat name: MadDog
Make: XS Ribs
Engine: 150hp
Went out from St Mawes a couple of times on Monday to see them - between 5-7 miles off St Anthony Head. Really great but almost flat calm at times in the evening.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0184.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	121310  
Old 09 August 2017, 15:07   #5

Town: Salcombe
Boat name: The Black Pig
Make: Ranieri
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60c hp tohatsu
MMSI: 235038018
Send a message via AIM to The Black Pig
I stayed up to see Rambler 88 pass prawle point followed by the rest of the fleet the the wind dropped so followed them on the tracker
Old 09 August 2017, 18:41   #6

Town: Derby
Make: Bombard Aerotec
Length: no boat
I run the crew bureau for an offshore racing club, we have a crew out there on a chartered First 40 and a couple of members on their own boats so have been a YB addict. Though if the tracking is accurate the committee will be busy though as loads of boats inc Concise 10 the stupid fast foiling trimaran that was first home, cut the corner of one or other of the TSSs which are off limits for racing.
Oh and if anyone wants a fix of YB in Feb I'll be crewing Lancelot II (class IRC2) in the Caribbean 600 which is also (or has always been so far) a free to track race.
Old 10 August 2017, 10:45   #7

I spent about 8 hours hanging around the Fastnet Tuesday. Conditions were rough and at times very miserable. Some fantastic racers!
I counted at least 14 other RIBs at one point, but after one nasty wet squall i nearly had it to myself for the evening! Not everyone was dressed for the conditions!
I'll try post a few pics next week if my camera survived a series of settings but this one from YBW shows Hugo Boss rounding and gives a sense of the conditions. Amazing machine.
You'll also see the most unlikely spectator boat I've ever seen at the Fastnet!
http://www.ybw.com/pic...17-08-09-at-16-24-29
I followed HB south a mile or so and a few minutes after turning back saw her almost broach! Went way over and then luffed up sails aflapping for quite a bit!
I was in Baltimore yesterday morning and was talking to one of the guys from the boat pulled in by the RNLI Tuesday night after almost dismasting. He was feeling pretty lucky about how bad it could have been. They kept the mast up using the boom to counterbalance and some halyards. Two of them were having some issues trying to fly home with their IDs back in the UK. They also had engine issues which is why they'd given up on repairs in time to rejoin the race.

I spent another four or five hours at The Rock yesterday in much nicer weather but less spectacular boats going past. But these are the guys with huge grit.

I overstayed waiting for a group of racers and paid for it heading into steep breaking fresh NW driven seas combined with full Spring tides at the Fastnet, Mizzen and Three Castle Head!
Worst race I've ever seen at the Mizzen and way too wild to even contemplate a photo. Turning West into Dunmanway bay was "interesting" and possibly even wetter running before and occasionally surfing a steep swell.
Summer weather in Ireland!
Old 10 August 2017, 17:04   #8

My crew have posted some photos of them rounding the rock in sunshine and flat (well flat to a racer, sailing cruisers might disagree) yesterday afternoon, they were really pleased to see a variety of boats out watching even though all the big names were long gone!
Old 25 August 2017, 14:17   #9

Fastnet Rounding Race Photos approx 13:00 - 20:00 on August 8th or 14:00 - 19:00

I'd like to offer the full size/rez versions for sale with the proceeds going to the RNLI, Any suggestions on how best to go about it?

Hope you enjoy some of them and sorry about the heavy watermarking, but I've learned that even when selling my photos in aid of the Cancer Society people will nick 'em!

The sequencing is a little erratic as dates/EXIF data went awry after my trusty Canon shipped one wave too many. The heavy rain apparently wasn't enough to wash the salt out of it and the folllowing day some program modes were a bit off. Hence some blue tinged photos.
It might also have been caused by this chopper
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AqIRWW6fILZypTUeSjUa8zrRYsS8
I want that job! Either the flying or the snapping will do.
Old 25 August 2017, 22:22   #10

Mind if I share the link with my crew? I'm sure if they find some of them they will buy some to help the RNLI
Old 25 August 2017, 22:24   #11

Share away and thanks for checking. A lot of the crews on day two were very cheerful and relaxed with nice weather and fair winds

Sent from my MotoG3 using RIB Net mobile app