Old 12 June 2009, 22:26   #1

Town: Near Godalming
Boat name: AJA
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha F150AETX
Fog tips....!

Should a novice, such as I, encounter fog - what are the 'top ten' rules?

I can read a chart, use my GPS and my VHF, I have a fog horn too.

I imagine the advice would be something like:

1. Slow down
2. Slowly make your way close to shore (watching depth) to avoid larger vessels
3. Sound fog horn?!
4 Lights on?
Old 12 June 2009, 22:41   #2
nik

Town: east cowes
Make: academic
Length: no boat
Engine: fresh air
MMSI: N/A
Quote:
Should a novice, such as I, encounter fog - what are the 'top ten' rules?
stay out of the shipping lanes.
Also, use whatever aids you have. Like, if you have a radar, turn it on and look at it.
Old 12 June 2009, 22:55   #3

If you have to cross a shipping lane to get home?
Old 12 June 2009, 23:03   #4

Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp
Assuming that the fog hasn't just suddenly appeared and you are slowly loosing visability, you want to get yourself a compass bearing to somewhere. It may be the shore or could be a buoy (ready for next segment of route) - shore may not always be a safe option if there are rocks and even landing on a beach in fog can be somewhat nerve-racking if visibility is really poor.

(It's really important to have a compass as well - GPS can fail, especially in fog where the signal gets a bit degraded!)

In terms of speed - slow if it's thick and yes, the foghorn helps a lot (not sure how many small boats will have one!). It's also really good to throttle back and listen once in a while (stopping engine is good but also makes it harder to suddenly get out the way if necessary). All big ships will use fog horns and most other boats as well in my experience. Normally if it's foggy, it's also quite calm so sound travels really well. I remember one time in fog the lookout on the bow suddenly heard voices and it was people on the sea front - 500m away but could be heard clearly! This also applies to other boats engines!

If you have a Radar reflector then that helps other boats "see" you!

If you have others on board, lookouts all directions are helpful!

GPS (especially a plotter) is a HUGE advantage in Fog but above assumes the worst and it's broken! Pre-planned waypoints are useful so you can either setup a route or just go from waypoint to waypoint to get back to safety.

RE the foghorn - Gloves to operate it are a good thing to have (if it's a gas canister type). If used regualrly, then the unit itself can get really cold with discharge of gas (I've even seen them freeze). You sometimes need to clear out the hooter bit as well as they get wet with the fog and squeek rather than hoot!

One other thing - fog is cold.... especially if it's thick so warm clothes are nice!

I've done various passages in fog before the invent of GPS or even Decca and with a chart, compass, foghorn and keeping eye and ear for other vessels. I would never advocate setting out in fog but sometimes on route you can find yourself in a pea-souper. With some carefuly pre-planning and a bit of basic navigation it need not be a problem. You can obviously pre-empt any likely fog issue by checking the forecast and listening to inshore waters (or shipping forecasts) on VHF as well.

Hope this is of some use! Sorry it's a bit dis-jointed!
Old 12 June 2009, 23:09   #5

Engine: 90hp
Another thought - if you are in busy commerical waters, an AIS receiver and AIS capable plotter would be really useful as it would show the movement of all large ships so you gives you another snippet of information.
Old 13 June 2009, 02:03   #6

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by al40 View Post
Another thought - if you are in busy commerical waters, an AIS receiver and AIS capable plotter would be really useful as it would show the movement of all large ships so you gives you another snippet of information.
AIS is great but remember not all large ships have it switched on!!! also the data is often wrong - 0kts in harbour could actually be 20kts exactly where you are!!!
Old 13 June 2009, 07:18   #7
nik

Town: east cowes
Make: academic
Engine: fresh air
MMSI: N/A
Quote:
If you have to cross a shipping lane to get home?
then cross it at right angles and dont dawdle.
keep a lookout etc.
Old 13 June 2009, 08:13   #8

Very useful thanks....

Certainly the point of taking a compass bearing and recognising that the GPS system may not be functioning at 100% is something I hadn't considered.

I'm out on Sunday and there are possibly fog patches.
Old 13 June 2009, 08:45   #9

Town: Pwllheli-North Wales
Boat name: V-ONE
Make: Highfield
Engine: Honda 250hp
Rule 19

Make sure your very familiar with rule 19 in the IRPCS. Many people don't realise the way you turn change in restricted visibility. I'm amased how many schools don't teach this on Powerboat Level 2's

Conduct of vessels in restricted visibility
(a) This Rule applies to vessels not in sight of one another when navigating in or near an area of restricted visibility.
(b) Every vessel shall proceed at a safe speed adapted to the prevailing circumstances and conditions of restricted visibility. A power-driven vessel shall have her engines ready for immediate manoeuvre.
(c) Every vessel shall have due regard to the prevailing circumstances and conditions of restricted visibility when complying with the Rules of Section I of this Part.
(d) A vessel which detects by radar alone the presence of another vessel shall determine if a close quarters situation is developing and/or risk of collision exists. If so, she shall take avoiding action in ample time, provided that when such action consists of an alteration of course, so far as possible the following shall be avoided:
(i) an alteration of course to port for a vessel forward of the beam, other than for a vessel being overtaken;
(ii) an alteration of course towards a vessel abeam or abaft the beam.
(e) Except where it has been determined that a risk of collision does not exist, every vessel which hears apparently forward of her beam the fog signal of another vessel, or which cannot avoid a close-quarters situation with another vessel forward of her beam, shall reduce her speed to the minimum at which she can be kept on her course. She shall if necessary take all her way off and in any event navigate with extreme caution until danger of collision is over.

Sound Signals at Intervals of no less than 2 Minutes

Power Moving: _ Power Stopped : _ _ Lame Ducks: _ . .

The diagram below is an easy way to remember which way to turn if you need to turn, imagine you are the blue arrow.

Jono
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rule19.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	43215  
Old 13 June 2009, 10:43   #10

I was aware of this rule - but thanks for the reminder.
Old 13 June 2009, 17:12   #11

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
Trust your compass and dont be tempted to add a few degrees on for good measure .if its really foggy and you are near a cliff listen for the echo of your horn or whistle .off some towns the smell of local places is a good give away ,candy floss fish chips and sounds of people on the beach.even small of exposed seaweed on rocks if your good enough .
Old 13 June 2009, 17:49   #12
J S

Town: N.Wales/Southampton
Make: Zodiac
Engine: Honda 15hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
Trust your compass and dont be tempted to add a few degrees on for good measure.
Can you really just generally say that without knowing which way the error is acting .

James
Old 13 June 2009, 17:58   #13

I went to see the Theodore Roosevelt a few weeks back - just after I returned to the Camber, the fog descended. It was quite frightening as I realised how inexperienced I would be in such conditions.

It doesn't sound like there are many easy solutions to being stuck in fog, I certainly don't fancy my chances if I'm relying on sniffing seaweed...
Old 13 June 2009, 18:09   #14
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
I have no experience of being in fog at sea and would be quite happy to keep it that way! However I wonder if there is a way to use the VHF to your advantage if you believe you may be a hazard to shipping (or vice versa!).

So - if there is a VTS covering the area - would talking to them help? they presumably have a radar picture of whats going on - checking in with them regularly with your position (which may not be obvious if you have a poor radar x-section).

Failing that would announcing your position, course and speed to "all stations" on Ch16 be appropriate? Almost like a manual version of AIS?
Old 13 June 2009, 18:20   #15
J S

Town: N.Wales/Southampton
Make: Zodiac
Engine: Honda 15hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post

Failing that would announcing your position, course and speed to "all stations" on Ch16 be appropriate? Almost like a manual version of AIS?
Yes its a good idea ask the GC if you can put in ops normals with them every 30mins or so on channel 16 to update them with your position when in heavy fog and as this is on 16 all other boats in the vicinity will hear this and be able to plot your position.

James
Old 13 June 2009, 20:18   #16

Town: Portsmouth
If you are returning to the Camber in thick fog it may help monitoring Ch 11 as QHM may instgate fog routine. Although this will not directly affect you it does mean you will know larger movements around you.Fog routine states:-

Any vessel over 20 metres may not enter harbour or approach the main channel or leave her berth or mooring or weigh anchor except with permission of QHM.
Old 14 June 2009, 10:46   #17

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
Quote:
Originally Posted by J S View Post
Can you really just generally say that without knowing which way the error is acting .

James
i was trying to point out that its easy for novices to try keep on the safe side of things by adding a few deg in case they miss the point of intrest only then to be miles from where they want to be especially if its a wide estury and fog is causing disorientation .and not on about compass error ,but on that point make sure there is nothing going to error the compass keep everything well clear such as torch or radio anchor even the spare outboard ,regards mart
Old 15 June 2009, 10:35   #18

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
AIS is great but remember not all large ships have it switched on!!! also the data is often wrong - 0kts in harbour could actually be 20kts exactly where you are!!!
errrr I thought anything above 600 tonnes & all passenger vessels have to by law!

Yes, some may still be transmitting "anchored" but the speed / heading data is driven straight from their GPS.
Old 16 June 2009, 10:05   #19

Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono Garton View Post
Sound Signals at Intervals of no less than 2 Minutes

Power Moving: _ Power Stopped : _ _ Lame Ducks: _ . .

The diagram below is an easy way to remember which way to turn if you need to turn, imagine you are the blue arrow.

Jono
Jono,

Could you translate the piccie into what I should be doing for/in each quadrant, had a load of rum last night head not to clear this morning.
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2009, 16:17   #20

Town: Pwllheli-North Wales
Boat name: V-ONE
Make: Highfield
Engine: Honda 250hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon B View Post
Jono,

Could you translate the piccie into what I should be doing for/in each quadrant, had a load of rum last night head not to clear this morning.
Hi Simon

Imagine you are the blue arrow.

If you detect a vessel on your -
Starboard Bow
Port Bow
Port Quarter

You have 2 options, carry on your course or turn to Starboard

If you detect a vessel on your Starboard Quarter

You have 2 options again, carry on your course or turn to Port

If you get the toy boats from the bath, put the 2 boats in various situations and apply these rules it will make sense

Jono
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rule19.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	43330