Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 16 June 2009, 13:24   #21
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono Garton View Post
If you detect a vessel
Jono - am I right in thinking that this rule applies only to vessels which are not in sight of each other (rule a) and which you detect by radar (rule d).
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2009, 13:41   #22
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Pwllheli-North Wales
Boat name: Delta 1
Make: Delta
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mariner 90hp Optimax
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 2,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Jono - am I right in thinking that this rule applies only to vessels which are not in sight of each other (rule a) and which you detect by radar (rule d).
Yes, but common sense would also say that if you do not have radar and you detect a vessel by sound you would stick to the same rule, as the other vessel may have radar and they would stick to this rule.

I have been in this situation with an Hovercraft.

Jono
__________________

__________________
JG Marine Services Ltd Specialist Safety Boat Services

Bodfuan Shoot Ltd Traditional British Game Shooting
Jono Garton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2009, 14:16   #23
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono Garton View Post
Yes, but common sense would also say that if you do not have radar and you detect a vessel by sound you would stick to the same rule, as the other vessel may have radar and they would stick to this rule.

I have been in this situation with an Hovercraft.

Jono
Having not been in the situation - how easy to tell whether the sound is coming from each segment?
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2009, 15:13   #24
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Pwllheli-North Wales
Boat name: Delta 1
Make: Delta
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mariner 90hp Optimax
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 2,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Having not been in the situation - how easy to tell whether the sound is coming from each segment?

depends if it's a yacht or hovercraft, but I have spent allot of time (both on the sea and the RNLI's Simulator) in fog and you tend to get an instinct for it.

I did sh*t my self with the hovercraft craft coming towards me.


Jono
__________________
JG Marine Services Ltd Specialist Safety Boat Services

Bodfuan Shoot Ltd Traditional British Game Shooting
Jono Garton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2009, 16:28   #25
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,645
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Having not been in the situation - how easy to tell whether the sound is coming from each segment?
I find it fairly easy using my hand by my ear to shield a quarter at a time.
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2009, 09:11   #26
Member
 
Simon B's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono Garton View Post
Hi Simon

Imagine you are the blue arrow.

If you detect a vessel on your -
Starboard Bow
Port Bow
Port Quarter

You have 2 options, carry on your course or turn to Starboard


If you detect a vessel on your Starboard Quarter

You have 2 options again, carry on your course or turn to Port


If you get the toy boats from the bath, put the 2 boats in various situations and apply these rules it will make sense

Jono
Cheers, all clear now! no boats in bathroom, just full of stupid female crap duplicated multiple times per person, per manufacturer. Where a man would need say half a dozen different items in a bathroom a woman can quite easily justify 5 to 10 times this...not that I monaing!?
__________________
New boat is here, very happy!
Simon
www.luec.org
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2009, 09:13   #27
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Pwllheli-North Wales
Boat name: Delta 1
Make: Delta
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mariner 90hp Optimax
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 2,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon B View Post
, just full of stupid female crap

You should tell her to flush !
__________________
JG Marine Services Ltd Specialist Safety Boat Services

Bodfuan Shoot Ltd Traditional British Game Shooting
Jono Garton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2009, 09:32   #28
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono Garton View Post
Hi Simon

Imagine you are the blue arrow.

If you detect a vessel on your -
Starboard Bow
Port Bow
Port Quarter

You have 2 options, carry on your course or turn to Starboard


If you detect a vessel on your Starboard Quarter

You have 2 options again, carry on your course or turn to Port


If you get the toy boats from the bath, put the 2 boats in various situations and apply these rules it will make sense

Jono
I am confused surely if you detected a vessel off the starboard bow you would not want to turn to Starboard?
__________________
---------------------------------------------------
Chris Stevens

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2009, 11:34   #29
Member
 
Avocet's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Poole
Boat name: Grimalkin
Make: Ribcraft 750 Sport
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzi 250
MMSI: 235050647
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I am confused surely if you detected a vessel off the starboard bow you would not want to turn to Starboard?
I'm with Chris on this one ..... and especially so if that ship detects you and also turns to starboard. That would surely put you on an almost certain collision course?
__________________
Avocet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2009, 13:11   #30
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avocet View Post
I'm with Chris on this one ..... and especially so if that ship detects you and also turns to starboard. That would surely put you on an almost certain collision course?
Here are some scenarios:

If you both maintain course your paths cross and so depending on speed you collide.
If you turn to stbd you no longer cut his path (assuming you do so reasonably early and decisively -- but with radar thats possible).
If you turn to port you still cut his path, and so its all down to closing speeds.
If you do as suggested and turn to stbd and he also turns to stbd you will diverge unless you both left it way too late.

If you turn to port - then the other skipper may not be expecting that as its not the recommended practice in the col regs and so he turns to stbd as per the protocol and you end up still on collision course.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	standard.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	5.8 KB
ID:	43368   Click image for larger version

Name:	youport hemaintain.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	6.5 KB
ID:	43369   Click image for larger version

Name:	youstbd hemaintain.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	6.4 KB
ID:	43370   Click image for larger version

Name:	youstbd hestbd.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	6.4 KB
ID:	43371  
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:54.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.