Old 26 May 2009, 07:46   #1

Town: Plymouth
Make: Avon SR4,AX500
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 50 2 Stroke
Flow Coating Deck

Hi guys,

Due to work commitments and a relationship breakdown, the girl (SR4) has been neglected and therefore i need to get the ball rolling again.

I really want to flow coat the deck but also have reservations in case i don't get it right as i have never done before.

I have sanded the deck down and got all the bits and pieces so all ready to go.

1. I take it i only need to apply one coat with a medium pile roller to achieve a rough finish?

2. I was also told by a chap at CFS to add some fine play sand so how much sand do i need to add?

3. I have two x 1kg tins of flow coat will this be enough to do the sides, transom and about 1/3 of deck area?

Any advice really appreciated.

Thanks
Old 26 May 2009, 10:02   #2

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Have you thought about deck paint instead? 3/4 l tin will do the job easily and give an excellent non slip sureface that is kind to walk on in bare feet, which rough flow coat won't. The other advantage is it is easy to touch up at the end of the year as the colour doesn't change with age.

Pete
Old 26 May 2009, 15:17   #3

Town: Colchester/Clevedon
Boat name: Barracuda
Make: Porters
Length: 5m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Have you thought about deck paint instead?

Pete
I've just re-done the deck on my 5m with Interdeck. Just mask up the area you want to paint, whack down one coat (one coat seems to be enough) and it'll be dry by the next day. Looks fantastic and, as Pete says, I used about 3/4 of a £16 can so can easily touch it up at the end of the season if need be
Old 26 May 2009, 16:45   #4

Town: Moray Firth
Boat name: Lochran
Make: Northcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda BF90 4/
I flow coated a large portion of my deck recently. It was the first time I'd used flowcoat and I was a bit surprised how 'unfriendly' the stuff was. I think I was expecting something that would behave more like paint whereas in reality it was like a cross between painting and spreading margarine!

The finished result is 'OK' - I haven't bothered with further sanding/cutting pastes or whatever and amn't about to. You can see some roller marks and so on, but it's not as if I'm about to enter the Cowes Regatta any time soon!

If you're looking for a reasonable thickness, I'd have thought two 1kg tins might be a bit tight. I had 5 litres to use and reckon about 2.5 went on the deck - from the bow back to about 2/3 down the hull ( a 5.5m).

No experience of deck paint at all, but sounds like it might be an option?
Old 27 May 2009, 19:19   #5

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
I put a new deck on my 8.5m last year and flowcoated it having never touched the stuff before!

I used ready mixed non-slip grey topcoat from CFS, all I needed to add was the catalyst.

True it's not as easy to apply as paint but the results are second to none. Have a go on an offcut of ply etc. first and you will get to see how it goes on.

Don't bother trying to use a roller, it doesnt work. 2" brush for corners/edges and 4" for large areas.

I had this on my old boat and the grip was superb and after 8 years was still as good as new.

You can buy the stuff in clear and add your own pigment if grey is not your thing, give it a go, I don't think you will regret it.