Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 07 December 2008, 13:51   #1

Town: At the out in
Boat name: 911
Make: zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: johnson 2 stroke
Florida to Cuba in SR6m- What would you bring?

Serously considering this 90 mile one-way expedition and back- dual engines and a zodiac inflatable life raft for back up- Could you imagine- open ocean!- what would you bring and prepare for...
Old 07 December 2008, 13:57   #2

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
I'd prepare to answer some serious questions asked by the US coastguard !
Old 07 December 2008, 14:42   #3

"Land of the free"- No?
International waters and no Cuban stamp in the passport for a US citizen- not sure what the issue really would be? as long as no drugs or refugees on board- really a very long "3 day trip" would like to tour Cuba, but may not step foot...- regardless here is what I am thinking besides water, food, Fuel, personal gear and items- etc.
GPS, flares, spare battery, electric and foot pump, tools, extra cable, parts, prop, emergency patch kit, spar plugs, life raft, passport... wonder if I need to purchase satalite radio?
Can really think of any single points of failure for the rib with two engines- or a single with a back up kicker, 15 hp
Old 07 December 2008, 14:53   #4

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Seriously I reckon very do-able in the right weather with the right boat. If you can cruise at a decent speed , then set a course & go.

I'm sure there are people with experiance on here , but I really think that questions will be asked as to why by the US, but I guess if you get them all on side before hand they would be good emergency cover. Maybe a sat phone may be handy just in case as I'm sure the VHF will run out of range in the middle of the crossing.
Old 07 December 2008, 15:02   #5

wow- seriously reconsidering...I am in US
CAUTION BOATERS: As of February 2004 President Bush signed into law an unprecedented and outrageous action that allows our government (homeland security) to confiscate your boat and detain you and your crew if THEY even THINK you might take your boat to Cuba - with no legal process whatsoever. You can be at a mooring, anchor or docked anywhere in the U.S. and they can do this to you simply based upon their SUSPICION! Find a legal way to go but go. Boot Bush out of office and call your Senators and Congressmen to express your outrage at this violation of human rights in the U.S. To all the government officials that read this please note that I have done due diligence to let all boaters know you'll take their boat if they even consider an "illegal" trip to Cuba - but that nothing in this website is illegal, nor condones illegal activity.

Note June 11, 2004 - The organizers of the now "infamous" Key West Sail Race to Cuba were indicted yesterday on criminal charges filed by the Treasury Department for them organizing the race, acting as travel agents, etc.. They also cited the information that was made available over their website to boaters regarding Cuba information. Boaters take heed. You now have additional requirements for travel including the Commerce Departments "Sojourn" license (Either of BIS748P or BXA748P) for your boat - contact OFAC and the Commerce department for details. The Chairman of the National Lawyers Guild called this action by the Bush Administration "outrageous", and says it's best explained by politics in South Florida. He says the Administration is trying to rev up the extreme right wing elements in the Cuban-American community and put people on criminal trial to show how tough they (Bush Administration) are. The rest of the sailors participating in the race were not indicted.
2005 update - a Federal judge finally through out the case stating that the government had no case to prosecute. We're very glad that someone in the government has some sense - but it came at the price of financi
Old 07 December 2008, 16:25   #6

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
I'd be very tempted to take a satellite phone or an EPIRB. Both are fairly cheap now. I think I'm right in saying in the UK you can use a Vodafone SIM card in a lot of sat phones - can anyone confirm that?
Old 07 December 2008, 16:28   #7

Town: mansfield
Length: no boat
Send a message via MSN to osprey__viper
Might be worth considering that my mate can put a 50cal round through an outboard at 200 yards. This is when boat and helicopter are travelling at 70mph

You cant miss him, it says royal navy on his helicopter He's the one with the suntan, allways on drug busting duties.
Old 07 December 2008, 17:12   #8

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
I have done this trip before and as a UK citizen you will have no problems provided you pay your $30 to leave and carry enough cash to buy your way in to Cuba. You wont need a sat phone for this trip as you will never be alone with dozens of boats transiting, fishing and drug running 24/7.
You might want to reconsider and go over to the Bahamas or Bimini Islands. They are a lot nicer. You will still have to filling in all the custom forms before you leave and be prepared to spend an eternity waiting to be inspected when you get.
If you need any detailed info on either place, let me know.
Alan P
Old 09 December 2008, 00:16   #9

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Cigars - whoops wrong way round!!!
Old 09 December 2008, 16:10   #10

Town: Oakland CA
A good attorney?

Since you're (I assume) a UK citizen, you may have priveleges that we US folks don't (being allowed to legally visit Cuba, for one.)

I'd suggest a talk with the State Dept (US State Dept, that is) and Customs Office before trying to get back into the US from Cuba, though. It would suck to do the 180 mile round trip only to find you can't legally land again...

jky