Old 16 July 2014, 19:50   #1

Town: newport gwent
Boat name: shark byte
Make: humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard mercury 60h
flocoat an marine epoxy

I'm trying to do up a pretty beat up humber destroyer the gel coat on the hull is pretty bad with osmosis an has a lot of deep gauges an a significant impact fracture to the bow I've fixed most problems myself an would like to flocoat the hull but on the transom I've had problems with marine epoxy not allowing the flowcoat to dry evenly what can I do about this I've heard of mixing talc with epoxy resins please help it's really getting expensive now !
Old 17 July 2014, 10:00   #2

Town: Helsinki
Boat name: SR 5.4
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Toh1 3,5 Yam 90/2S
Flowcoat do not stick so well on epoxy, and even worse on fresh epoxy. One option is to paint the transom with epoxy primer and coat with 2k PU paint. But if You want to have it covered with flow coat, you can try to "after" cure the epoxy first with heat, then wash with acethone, sand with 80 grit and then flow coat it.

How to remove the uncured flowcoat can be a pain.... or you can try cur it with heat and cover the surface with plastic film to eliminate any air to the surface, that might do the trick.

Good luck.
Old 20 July 2014, 19:16   #3

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp HO
west epoxy assured me gel will stick. I did my own tests, and it does if you use peel ply and wash it like you have ocd and key it up, i just havent tested longevity..

Accidently I found the plastic padding gelcoat filler sticks to epoxy even better, and doesnt pick off or get knocked off with a hammer, or sand off. Normal gel sticks to plastic padding gel just as good