Old 01 January 2015, 18:29   #1

Town: essex
Boat name: Little Jems
Make: shetland
Length: 6m +
Engine: outboard
Floatation suits

Hi I am looking for my first floatation suit.

Does anyone have any buying advice or recommendations ?
Old 01 January 2015, 18:36   #2

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Pay a bit more and get a drysuit
Old 01 January 2015, 18:49   #3

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerny View Post
Pay a bit more and get a drysuit
X2
Yep!....they are Fine as ordinary Boat wear and ok at keeping you warm (while you're IN the Boat!..A one piece version is better for this...But a decent Lifejacket Coupled with a Dry suit will keep you Alive ALOT longer! And with the right layered under garments will be just as warm. ...If you end up in the drink It's the water temperature that will Kill you!...which Floatation suits do NOTHING to combat

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 January 2015, 19:02   #4

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
Yeh I have a good one works a treat when your pals leave you behind Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1420142550.045437.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	101916
Old 01 January 2015, 20:09   #5

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
X2
.If you end up in the drink It's the water temperature that will Kill you!...which Floatation suits do NOTHING to combat
Not fully true, there is a layer of neoprene inside a flotation suit which will make some difference if the cuffs and ankles are tight and water doesn't constantly flush through. However the point of floatation suits is that they mitigate the effects of falling in and drowning/freezing over a very short period.
If you think you may end up in for any extended period you need full kit and even this only extends rather than stops the onset of hypothermia.
Old 01 January 2015, 20:41   #6
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
. ...If you end up in the drink It's the water temperature that will Kill you!...which Floatation suits do NOTHING to combat
Have you actually used one in anger? My experience of a good flotation suit is it is better for thermal protection in the water than a dry suit with poorly thought out clothes under it.

If you plan to go in the water a dry suit is the obvious choice, but if you are not expecting it then a flotation suit can be more comfortable, and potentially more versatile.

As to the original question I use a cosalt, but the biggest issue is with them being too hot in mild weather. Fladen offer good value for money, but there are numerous brands depending on style and degree of conspicuousness. Bear in mind you may need a 275n life jacket to right someone in either a dry suit or flotation suit.
Old 01 January 2015, 20:43   #7
gtb

Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic 6.5
Engine: Evinrude 175hp ETEC
MMSI: 235 908 002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disschord View Post

While there is a discussion about floation vs. dry suit ... to answer your question; I bought an Abu Garcia suit, and it is very dry even in heavy spray, and very warm as it contains a thick floatation/thermal layer.

Downside is that it is quite bulky and stiff, so, fine if you are stood helming, but restrictive as you leap around the boat and ashore.

Seems well made and lots of pockets, zips, etc. Remember if you buy a two-part don't take off the jacket and only wear the floating trousers!
Old 01 January 2015, 21:02   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Have you actually used one in anger? My experience of a good flotation suit is it is better for thermal protection in the water than a dry suit with poorly thought out clothes under it.

If you plan to go in the water a dry suit is the obvious choice, but if you are not expecting it then a flotation suit can be more comfortable, and potentially more versatile.

As to the original question I use a cosalt, but the biggest issue is with them being too hot in mild weather. Fladen offer good value for money, but there are numerous brands depending on style and degree of conspicuousness. Bear in mind you may need a 275n life jacket to right someone in either a dry suit or flotation suit.
I've had and used both one and two piece Floatation suits mainly when I used to go winter Charter Boat fishing....thinking being,if you need a warm waterproof coat and leggings why not have some built in Bouyancey as well...and they worked ok.
Although I never tried one in the water,with no seals and big gaps (especially in the two piece) youd certainly have instant water ingress and feel the cold!
Considering the forum ie Ribbing,I'd agree with Kerny a decent dry suit may be a better buy,and ultimately more useful,and potentially life saving....even if a bit more expensive.

Old 01 January 2015, 21:12   #9
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
A one piece flotation suit carries a thermal rating, a two piece doesn't. They are designed to protect meaningfully in our waters for one hour. The wearer has to decide what "suits" them best.

Personally, I find them a bit "in-betweeny" but they do check a lot of boxes for the average ribber. I certainly see enough of them on the water!
Old 01 January 2015, 21:15   #10
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:

Buy a one piece and buy the best you can afford. Mullion have a good name. Fladen are cheap but leak on a rainy day and in driven spray. I know - I have one. Wear layers under it and avoid cotton (jeans, etc.) If you get wet, hiking fabrics are the best underclothes.
Old 01 January 2015, 21:35   #11

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Buy a one piece and buy the best you can afford. Mullion have a good name. Fladen are cheap but leak on a rainy day and in driven spray. I know - I have one. Wear layers under it and avoid cotton (jeans, etc.) If you get wet, hiking fabrics are the best underclothes.
I have a Mullion1 piece breathable flotation suit & a diving membrane drysuit, most of the time I opt for the drysuit. It's starting to show its age & I'll replace it this year with a surface drysuit, probably a Typhoon. The type of ribbing you do will have a bearing on your choice. If you keep the boat afloat or drystack & never have to get wet, then a flotation will do. If, like us you trail your boat, you will invariably find yourself in the water at some point, either launching, recovering or wading ashore, you'll be glad you spent the extra dosh on a drysuit, trust me.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 January 2015, 21:38   #12

Town: Fareham
I've got an ntech floatation suit and is fine for keeping you warm but does leak. I used it on a cruise to France little over a year ago. Got completely soaked but kept me warm. Very uncomfortable sitting in wet clothes though and will be investing in a floatation suit with boots and neoprene coller and cuffs in the future.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 January 2015, 21:53   #13

Town: Wirral
Boat name: Tigger
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: Suzuki DF140
Quote:

Hi

I have a 'Penn Waveblaster' flotation suit which ive used for a couple of winter's and been toasty warm and dry. Its a little restrictive for movement due to it being a quality piece of kit, if you want thinner material then you will be cold and wet.
Ok its not a drysuit but it is certainly fit for purpose.

I would suggest you try before you buy. Whatever you choose based on requirements and budget try it on in store.

Be safe
Old 02 January 2015, 08:46   #14

Town: Near oswestry
Boat name: Billy may
Make: Tornado 5.3
Engine: 90 yamaha
MMSI: 235109146
Drysuit always. But if you buy a surface Drysuit the first thing to do is get the stupid latex socks cut off and get wellies attached the same as diving dry suits ,latex socks are crap,and so easy to puncture ,and they are always s too big ,one size fits all!!!, like wearing a bin bag

Sent from my iPad using RIB Net
Old 02 January 2015, 08:50   #15

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Thunder
Make: Halmatic Arctic 22
Engine: 2 x 150 Etec
If you go for a dry suit, make sure and get good thermal gear for underneath, that makes all the difference.
Old 02 January 2015, 09:02   #16

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parr View Post
Drysuit always. But if you buy a surface Drysuit the first thing to do is get the stupid latex socks cut off and get wellies attached the same as diving dry suits ,latex socks are crap,and so easy to puncture ,and they are always s too big ,one size fits all!!!, like wearing a bin bag

Sent from my iPad using RIB Net

+1 that's why I'm going for the Typhoon. Their socks are the same material as the suit. My missus has had one for 3 years now & is still like new. She wears a pair of thick socks( heat holders) & wellies.

.....sh1t happens.......
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 January 2015, 10:08   #17
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
I've had and used both one and two piece Floatation suits mainly when I used to go winter Charter Boat fishing....thinking being,if you need a warm waterproof coat and leggings why not have some built in Bouyancey as well...and they worked ok.
Although I never tried one in the water,with no seals and big gaps (especially in the two piece) youd certainly have instant water ingress and feel the cold!
Considering the forum ie Ribbing,I'd agree with Kerny a decent dry suit may be a better buy,and ultimately more useful,and potentially life saving....even if a bit more expensive.
Sounds like you've made two mistakes then... 1. Getting a crap float suit - both the ones I've worn had soft "seals" on the calves etc, to limit the rate of water ingress, and having actually used in water they work both to reduce the shock of immersion and keep you relatively warm like a wetsuit. They don't keep you dry (although mind sounds more rain / spray proof than willks)
2. Assuming that everyone on ribnet uses their boat in the same way. Some people NEED suspension seat, gecko helmets, dry suits etc. I've met ribnetters who's default clothing is shorts. But of course others think nothing of flipping their rib. The only time (including *that* almost IoM trip) I've thought a dry suit would be useful, is as Pikey Dave says for *some* launch / recovery stuff but I've mostly mastered that without getting wet above the knee. Plenty of people here use a float suit (or oilies) so they can't be totally inappropriate. For "crew" I think there is even less of an argument, especially if you have a range of sizes to accommodate.

The one downside nobody has mentioned is that once full of water you are very heavy and recovery is harder. It would be worth practicing different methods in a safe area, especially if your usual crew are slightly built!
Old 02 January 2015, 10:40   #18

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
I've met ribnetters who's default clothing is shorts.
Too right! An 'off the shoulder' shortie wetsuit and flip flops cover me for 90% of my ribbing.

IMV, if you're left in the water long enough for an immersion/flotation suit to become necessary, you're in big trouble. If I go in unplanned, it has happened a couple of times, I get the hell out asap.

Keeping warm and dry without going in the drink is another story. A drysuit would be good with winter seas breaking over one's bonce, I'd imagine.
Old 02 January 2015, 12:14   #19

Town: blackpool
Boat name: Fast Forward
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 315 Yanmar
Had a Typhoon surface dry suit for four years,fantastic,I wear technical undergarments and decent wading boots,very comfortable can wear them all day
Old 02 January 2015, 14:43   #20

Quote:
Sounds like you've made two mistakes then... 1. Getting a crap float suit - both the ones I've worn had soft "seals" on the calves etc, to limit the rate of water ingress, and having actually used in water they work both to reduce the shock of immersion and keep you relatively warm like a wetsuit. They don't keep you dry (although mind sounds more rain / spray proof than willks)
2. Assuming that everyone on ribnet uses their boat in the same way. Some people NEED suspension seat, gecko helmets, dry suits etc. I've met ribnetters who's default clothing is shorts. But of course others think nothing of flipping their rib. The only time (including *that* almost IoM trip) I've thought a dry suit would be useful, is as Pikey Dave says for *some* launch / recovery stuff but I've mostly mastered that without getting wet above the knee. Plenty of people here use a float suit (or oilies) so they can't be totally inappropriate. For "crew" I think there is even less of an argument, especially if you have a range of sizes to accommodate.

The one downside nobody has mentioned is that once full of water you are very heavy and recovery is harder. It would be worth practicing different methods in a safe area, especially if your usual crew are slightly built!
Indeed it Sounds like Floatation suits may have moved on a bit, with seals ect...which can only be a good thing!
Of course the best scenario is to have plenty options with all Kit....including what you wear to suit conditions,and type/length of journey ect....this is what most of us do I'm certain.
For me it's a good thing to be ready for most circumstances...from the lazy hazy days to the more demanding stuff!
I would say however if it were an either or decision...I'd plump for the Dry suit personally as already said with the right under garments a dry suit (with th provision of a decent Lifejacket) will do everything a floatation will do....not I think the other way round.
I also note the OP is from Shetland!!Not too many flip flop days in that neck of the woods
But hey...like all things You pays Yer money and takes yer choice!