Old 02 January 2008, 20:28   #1

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Flipping Ribs !

So who's done it then? either rolled or flipped a RIB? I heard a certain Humber Dealer in North Wales may have had this experience
Old 02 January 2008, 21:04   #2
J S

Town: N.Wales/Southampton
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda 15hp
I have flipped my 3.5m SIB. After some professional training from Jono

James
Old 02 January 2008, 21:10   #3

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 150
I have fliped a zapcat in the surf when driving it hard, but those things do flip so nothing out of the normal there, and I was almost trying to find the boundries of the craft anyway and prepared for it to flip.
Old 02 January 2008, 21:19   #4
RIBnet supporter

Town: Warrington/Anglesey
Make: Menai 480SR.
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsoooooooo 70hp
look here.
http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?...hlight=capsize
yoyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 January 2008, 21:32   #5

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
That's my worst nightmare.

Anybody done and does the insurance cover it ?
Old 02 January 2008, 22:16   #6
J S

The insurance covered mine. All repairs to engine and boat paid for.

James
Old 02 January 2008, 22:17   #7

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
When I was Younger, I Flipped two different Flatacraft Force 4s, one either way. Both belonged to my Father, the second of which I inherited.

Going over backwards is one of those slow motion moments.

Rolling sideways is Bloody Scary, violent, and happens very quickly.

Don't want to do either again.

On both occations the windscreens were ripped off, but being Force 4s the boats were flipped back over again very quickly.

Both times the engine restarted after checking for water in the pots by whipping out the plugs and turning it over slowly.

The first was a 1970's Chrysler 35HP, second a 1980's Suzuki 40HP.
Both were OK after a service and plenty of misting Oil. Probably due to them being older Carb models with little or no Electronics. The Trim/Tilt relays on the Suzuki played up months later though.

Nasher.
Old 03 January 2008, 03:36   #8

Town: Oban (mostly)
Make: Ribcraft, Humber,BWM
Engine: Outboards
Send a message via Skype™ to SeaSkills
Not happened to me, but seen 2 RIBs flip locally. Both good size boats, one was a Ribcraft 6.5, the other a Tornado 5.8. On each occasion it was breaking water on the quarter that knocked the boat over (on one occasion with an entrapment underneath).

Insurance coughed up OK each time, and as far as I know, no increase in premium
Tel; 07525 012 013
SeaSkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 January 2008, 07:24   #9

Town: Dartmouth
Nasher

Did i see a picture in the Deer Park Inn of said Flatacraft upside down being towed in?!
Old 03 January 2008, 08:46   #10

SO the main thing with regards to the engine is don't try and restart it. Get a tow home then get it down to the service center ASAP? is there anything else you should do to a modern engine if its been immersed?
Old 03 January 2008, 08:51   #11

I spoke to Road Bower from BRP earlier about an EMM update for my engine, so I took the oppurtunity to ask him what you would need to do if you dunked an Etec. He reckoned that if the engine were only in the water for a shortish period of time (ie not overnight or all day) then he would probably pull the plugs and crank the engine to blow out any water then resinstall the plugs and run the engine for at least an hour to ensure all the water is out.

Clearly the caveat with anything like this is it depends upon the circumstances (whether the engine cut out b4 dunking, if there is any sand or silt in the water etc)
Old 03 January 2008, 09:14   #12
J S

With my Honda 15hp Quite modern although on carbs i made sure i stopped the engine before it entered the water but that defiantly did happen because i was flung from the boat with the kill cord round me. When i was towed back in I immediately took the plugs out and slowly turned over the engine this got all the water out of the cylinders. I then sprayed all the electronics with WD-40 then i put some fuel in the cylinders and turned t over again then i put the plugs back in and i tried to start it ( I thought no way) but it started second pull and ran fine. So obviously i ran it for a bit and being a 4 stroke i changed the oil this was slightly milky. I then ran the engine again for 15 mins then i changed the oil filter and replaced the oil and then i took it to a dealer so the carb could be sorted it out because the float was jammed and it stalled every now and again. Engine is now fine running just as good as before.

Thats what i went through with mine.

James
Old 03 January 2008, 13:13   #13

Town: Christiansted.V.I.
Boat name: Froggy
Make: Avon SeaRider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Johnson 50
Flips

No flips with my 4.7 SeaRider but one very close call.

I misjudged things and came completely out of the water at about a 70 degree angle. It seemed at the time to be kind of slow motion and I recall the Port/Starbord fluttering while in flight scared me the worst. In the end it sat back down on the transom and although I was not looking back to see what it looked like, I ended up with a lot of ocean water on deck. My "death" grip on the wheel did break the metal inside the rim away from the spokes but there was probably corrosion in there to begin with. Let's not go near the condition of my shorts
Old 03 January 2008, 18:46   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribraff View Post
Nasher

Did i see a picture in the Deer Park Inn of said Flatacraft upside down being towed in?!
Hi.

No that was another Force 4 owned by a good friend who is part of our group that camp at Deerpark every year.

Its actualy Daves son, Mark. Dave who's SR5.4 you re-tubed a few years ago.
I think he would admit that he was being a bit of a prat when he managed it about 3 years ago.
we towed it into shore as it wasn't far out then turned it over and drowned the engine in WD40.
It was back on the water the next day.

By the way, we've given up on Deer Park for this year, we're going to try Little Cotton up by the old airport as the facilities are in much better condition, and the new owners of Deer Park have applied for Caravan Club Status and will not let us set up our usual 'tented Village' surrounded by boats any more. Plus we hear the Bar is turning into a Posh restaurant!

Nasher.
Old 03 January 2008, 19:41   #15

Town: Crawley,West Sussex
Boat name: Droopy 2
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Tohatsu 90hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by ribraff View Post
Nasher

Hi Ribraff (and you Nash),
The picture in the Deer Park Inn was not Nasher but my eldest son Marh who had just flipped after trying to tow a wakeboard at right angles! All was O.K.except after a severe b******ing,I was examining the boat for damage and found the anchor,chain and warp missing.When questioned,I was told that it was never tied directly to the boat in case it got nicked!!I pointed out that if they had ever needed to anchor,they would have been treated to the sight of the anchor line disappearing at a fast rate of knots over the side !!! (it comes from his mothers side).The engine was O.K. after a clean-upwith fresh water and WD 40.
Whilst in passing,just would like to let you all know that at the moment it is 07.30 here in Melbourne,Australia,the temperature is a lovely 25 degrees heading for a predicted 32,sitting on the veranda,coffee,tea and mango juice at hand recovering from a rather heavy night sipping Bundaberg and Coke topped off with limes picked off the tree hanging over said veranda.Might just catch a flight to Hobart,Tasmania today to enjoy some diving and the local fish menu.
Would like to feel sorry for you all suffering from the freezing weather and the vomiting bug but,In all honesty I just cannot !!!
See you soon.(maybe)
Old 03 January 2008, 22:38   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavyBuoy View Post
Whilst in passing,just would like to let you all know that at the moment it is 07.30 here in Melbourne,Australia,the temperature is a lovely 25 degrees heading for a predicted 32,sitting on the veranda,coffee,tea and mango juice at hand recovering from a rather heavy night sipping Bundaberg and Coke topped off with limes picked off the tree hanging over said veranda.Might just catch a flight to Hobart,Tasmania today to enjoy some diving and the local fish menu.
Would like to feel sorry for you all suffering from the freezing weather and the vomiting bug but,In all honesty I just cannot !!!
See you soon.(maybe)
Dave

Hi, hope you and Lynn are enjoying yourselves.
But...................
I'd like to point out, that even though I've known you now for about 30 years, after the comment above, its not too late to go off people

Nasher.
Old 04 January 2008, 07:27   #17

Town: mansfield
Length: no boat
Send a message via MSN to osprey__viper
Not quite flipped one over, but have been over to the extent of two of us being thrown over board. And guess what, it was your current boat
Old 04 January 2008, 08:04   #18

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by osprey__viper View Post
Not quite flipped one over, but have been over to the extent of two of us being thrown over board. And guess what, it was your current boat
So you sold a rib thats so unstable its liable to throw you out even without any waves or on a lake Horror All those Vipers should be recalled now, or if you own one sell it fast before the price drops out of the market

Pete
Old 04 January 2008, 08:25   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by osprey__viper View Post
Ive Nearly done the same Martin although it was entirely my fault for arsing about and to be fair the main reason I fell out is cause there was no way my body was going to be able to go in the same direction as the boat was due to the speed that everything happened so I ended up on the starboard tube!!
Old 04 January 2008, 09:33   #20

Town: mansfield
Length: no boat
Send a message via MSN to osprey__viper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
So you sold a rib thats so unstable its liable to throw you out even without any waves or on a lake Horror All those Vipers should be recalled now, or if you own one sell it fast before the price drops out of the market

Pete
Well I tried to get a re-call, but they said because the german sheppard managed to remain on board (and she doesn't have thumbs) our claim was therefore null and void.

Our german sheppard now has her advance pb certificate