SPR

Town: Central Belt of Scotland
Boat name: Puddleduck III
Make: Bombard
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnscubanut View Post
I attended a sea survival course last year & the instructor reckoned that Laser flares were going to be the things of the future! Demonstrated one in the classroom, pretty impressive I must say!
Size of a large pen & visible for miles! Replacable batteries etc.
Helicopter pilots at night not keen on them for some reason? lol
education - Greatland Rescue Lasers are very safe I have supplied flares to sea survival instructors and they have been tested with UK helicopters by RNLI , RAF and have been issue with safety Certificates.

If anybody want to discuss these, feel free to call me...

regards

Scott
Old 11 January 2013, 06:35   #42

Town: Acharacle
Boat name: Iolar
Make: Redbay
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF175
According to this: http://www.scarborough.gov.uk/pdf/WH...ce_-_Rev_3.pdf

...they wont let you launch at Whitby without flares. Its fairly vague in thst they dont insist on any type in particular. I guess youd need to phone them to see if a laser would comply.
Old 11 January 2013, 06:55   #43

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
We launch regularly at Whitby & have never been asked if we have flares. All we have to do is sign a declaration stating that we have insurance( we don't even have to produce proof) and PAY!
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2013, 07:10   #44

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
We launch regularly at Whitby & have never been asked if we have flares. All we have to do is sign a declaration stating that we have insurance( we don't even have to produce proof) and PAY!
If your using a private / marina slip don't think that the regs applies its only if your using council operated. Slips or beaches .
Old 11 January 2013, 07:38   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.i.wilson View Post
I always keep my out of date flares for 5th November.

They always add an extra something to the bonfire party.

Please don't go telling me it's dangerous, its not. If you are willing to let hem off on a 5m RIB, letting them go in the back garden cannot be any more risky.

Great fun, except when they work perfect, I wonder, should I have kept them another year???

Ian
Until the para fails to open & it comes down like a scud missile & punches a hole through a conservatory/ car porch roof or rolls still hot or burning into someone's plastic gutter setting it all on fire ,

Also Be wary of setting of the floating smoke flares especially if its foggy or heavy mist in the garden especially with the 5 min burn ones ,,, know of someone that did that only to find out next morning that all the lawn and everything in the adjoining gardens were covered in a tarry orange dye , local cats had orange bellys for weeks after .

I do know of a safe-ish way to dispose if para rockets though it's not for the faint hearted .
Old 11 January 2013, 08:18   #46

Town: Chorley / Holyhead
Boat name: Northwind Challenger
Make: Tornado
Engine: Mariner 115 efi CT
MMSI: 235080598
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Festinghouse
oh do tell! im with everyone else in saying that im reluctant to replace my flares, i think that the fact that it has been made extremely difficult to dispose of them tells you that they are no longer seen as being essential
Old 11 January 2013, 08:39   #47

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
I wonder how long it will be before health and safety and insurance companies pick up on us boys carrying pyrotechnics around on our boats
Old 11 January 2013, 08:40   #48
RIBnet supporter

Town: Sheffield
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamchowder View Post
According to this: http://www.scarborough.gov.uk/pdf/WH...ce_-_Rev_3.pdf

...they wont let you launch at Whitby without flares. Its fairly vague in thst they dont insist on any type in particular. I guess youd need to phone them to see if a laser would comply.
If you read the 'regs', you are 'required' to hold insurance, but only 'should' have flares.

My experience of Whitby matches Pikey Dave's, using the council run slipway and marina the only thing they are interested in seeing is your money.

The harbour master doesn't strike me as the sort that would be amused if you turned up in his office with a box of flares to show him!
Old 11 January 2013, 08:42   #49
RIBnet supporter

Town: Orkney
Boat name: Skylark
Make: Bombard 500
Engine: 60hp Yamaha outboard
MMSI: 235091893
I've not seen a laser flare and while I can imagine how they can help in cases where you'd use a smoke flare, I'm thinking that a parachute flare will have a considerable advantage when you are not in line of sight of potential help - eg at the close to a cliff, behind an island etc, as they have the height advantage?
Old 11 January 2013, 09:06   #50
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copinsay View Post
I've not seen a laser flare and while I can imagine how they can help in cases where you'd use a smoke flare, I'm thinking that a parachute flare will have a considerable advantage when you are not in line of sight of potential help - eg at the close to a cliff, behind an island etc, as they have the height advantage?
the intended use is really to replace handheld red, for pinpoint location etc.
Old 11 January 2013, 09:15   #51

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
[QUOTE="PeterM;509423"even on a small boat ...take everything ! Thats my thought ..../QUOTE]

I can see it now ... After deploying all your safety kit the SAR helo comes into view. Overcome with emotion, you pop the champagne

Damn those corks and why didn't the helo manufacturer do a cork strike test on the rotors???
Old 11 January 2013, 09:15   #52
RIBnet supporter

Town: Orkney
Boat name: Skylark
Make: Bombard 500
Engine: 60hp Yamaha outboard
MMSI: 235091893
Thanks Polly - that was what I was thinking, and thus that at least parachute flares still have a place and worth carrying.
Old 11 January 2013, 09:22   #53

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
This is being discussed on YBW at the mo, a CG guy pointed out that the advantage of a handheld over a laser is that they work day and night to help identify a vessel in a crowded area eg the Solent and also that the smoke coming off helps heli pilots with gauging wind direction.

Sent from my portable speaking device using Rib.net
Old 11 January 2013, 10:17   #54

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
I once bought some Italian made flares, manfs name was "Lazlo" or something similar. We let them off on New Year's Eve when they were about 3 months out of date. One of the parachute flares blew up in my hand as I hit the striker, I was quite badly burned. I went to trading standards but the place I bought them from & the uk distributor had ceased trading. The flares were CE marked & SOLAS approved. Frankly I've not trusted flares since. They are un-testable & the only time you know if they will work is when the brown stuff is hitting the fan
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2013, 12:34   #55

Town: Acharacle
Boat name: Iolar
Make: Redbay
Engine: Suzuki DF175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy C View Post
If you read the 'regs', you are 'required' to hold insurance, but only 'should' have flares.

My experience of Whitby matches Pikey Dave's, using the council run slipway and marina the only thing they are interested in seeing is your money.

The harbour master doesn't strike me as the sort that would be amused if you turned up in his office with a box of flares to show him!
Thanks for that, and thanks Pikey. Been haven't launched there yet but I have this planned as my first 'sea launch' once the weather gets a bit better.
Old 11 January 2013, 17:35   #56

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
I once bought some Italian made flares, manfs name was "Lazlo" or something similar. We let them off on New Year's Eve when they were about 3 months out of date. One of the parachute flares blew up in my hand as I hit the striker, I was quite badly burned. I went to trading standards but the place I bought them from & the uk distributor had ceased trading. The flares were CE marked & SOLAS approved. Frankly I've not trusted flares since. They are un-testable & the only time you know if they will work is when the brown stuff is hitting the fan
I tried an orange smoke once when I had a breakdown many years ago, smashed the first one to bits trying to set it off, think it was third time lucky by the time I got one to work. Luckily the passing boat had an aft facing passenger!
Old 11 January 2013, 18:47   #57

Town: Helston
Boat name: Myrtle
Make: Zodiac pro 500
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard 60hp
I was given a Wessex orange smoke with an expiry date of 2001. It went off perfect on Bonfire night. I am now looking at my inshore flare pack expiry Dec 2012 and wondering if I should bother replacing them till 2022? but knowing me I will be off to the shops before spring.
Old 11 January 2013, 19:44   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
...OK I'll help you out one of them is often prosecuted under Section 89 of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 - can you clarify which offence you think someone might be committing for the other one?
Unless I'm mistaken a rocket is a firearm which is exempt from licencing. I'd be surprised (but haven't checked) if the exemption doesn't in some way state its exempt when intended as a distress signal. When you decide to fire it for entertainment that may well change the game!

Even if the firearms regs don't apply (and I'm less certain they do to handheld red /smoke), they could easily have you on a public nusience charge I'd expect? Reality they are likely to have some strong words with you and tell you not to do it again. Argue back, tell them its not illegal or ignore them and pop another off then I'd say expect to be explaining to the custody sargent in the morning what you did... Public nusience has been used previously for malicious phone calls to 999 despite there being specific legislation in the telecomunications act.

If ya wanna give it a go I'm happy to call the police for you and test the water to see what they prosecute you for ::;-)::

I could even be convinced that "The Merchant Shipping (Distress Signals and Prevention of Collisions) Regulations 1996" could apply - nothing in them says the vessel needs to be afloat, nor that the master of the vessel needs to be with the vessel... perhaps something in the wider Merchant Shipping legislation would say it can't apply. And if none of that applies then does the Fireworks Act 2004 apply? As a flare will not be tested to comply with BS 7114, it could be considered a class 4 firework. I'm sure I read a firework is meant to provide entertainment. I'd suggest the reason its being fired during a fireworks night it may be being used for entertainment. Normal members of the public can't possess class 4 fireworks.
Old 11 January 2013, 19:46   #59

Quote:
Pretty sure its also illegal.
Never said it was illegal.
Old 11 January 2013, 21:52   #60

Seem to remember many years ago when some flare guns were made illegal such as the mini shotgun /cartridge type (very pistols) that para rockets and the mini flare /comet types were not classed as a straightforward firearm owing to the projectile not coming out of a barrel as such the rocket/ flare itself acts like a reverse barrel with the tube just acting as a protective casing ,
Doubt if it still stands today with the new laws though .