Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 13 September 2013, 06:44   #81
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,551
Exactly..this is in addition to plb and dsc.

In reality we have a member who bobbed about for a few hours on the water having set off a plb.....and from what I can tell didn't have a flare on him in the water...but still got picked up..just maybe quicker with a flare/suitable laser device.
__________________

__________________
PeterM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2013, 10:07   #82
Member
 
m chappelow's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.moody View Post

Thanks for the info SPR. Why do you carry red and green laser flares? What are the pros and con's of each? Do i need both or just one? Do the emergency services in the UK recognise a green laser as a distress / this is where I am marker.

Will a laser flare be effective in daylight hours.

Sorry about all the questions.

--
Tigga - Avon SR4 Rescue with 40hp Yamaha 2 stroke
From what I remember Green flares are or were used to signal that all is well or to cancel a distress ,
Seem to remember aircraft doing a sea search up to a few years ago would drop a green flare at the end of each search leg .
__________________

__________________
m chappelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2013, 10:57   #83
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Make: zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8hp
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
From what I remember Green flares are or were used to signal that all is well or to cancel a distress ,
Seem to remember aircraft doing a sea search up to a few years ago would drop a green flare at the end of each search leg .
From the website the green ones have a range of 30 miles at night as opposed to 20 miles for the red ones.
__________________
gennaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2013, 12:04   #84
RIBnet supporter
 
MustRib's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Newcastle
Boat name: Merlin
Make: RB4 Gemini 550
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90C
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,048
I am slightly sceptical about these from MOB perspective. In the water - with a 3 foot or bigger swell, I am not sure I am holding out any fingers or arms to aim with...
As with all visual devices - they only work when someone is around to see them. At night time / cloudy overcast conditions - they are probably much more effective, and you can project the "Bat" signal onto a cloud. Do they have a lens/gobo that screws on the end and will project SOS on to a cloud or sail?
Worth having on your key ring? Not if your keys are still in your boat and your not.
I really would be interested in a demo sometime though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
Exactly..this is in addition to plb and dsc.

In reality we have a member who bobbed about for a few hours on the water having set off a plb.....and from what I can tell didn't have a flare on him in the water...but still got picked up..just maybe quicker with a flare/suitable laser device.
__________________
MustRib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2013, 14:12   #85
SPR
Trade member
 
SPR's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Central Belt of Scotland
Boat name: Puddleduck III
Make: Bombard
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50 HP
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustRib View Post
Worth having on your key ring? Not if your keys are still in your boat and your not.
The it is my car keys ! I have my boat one is in the free pouch I am giving to RIBnetters with the Flare.

S.
__________________
SPRmarine / SPRtraining
RYA Training Courses & Safety Equipment Sales
SPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2013, 09:56   #86
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Lancashire
Boat name: -
Make: Bombard
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15hp outboard
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 36
when my last set of mini flares expired the local fire station very kindly disposed of them.

on a slight deviation, does anyone have / had / used a skystreme radar kite ? Picked a couple up for a fiver at a boat jumble years ago. Thankfully never been used but seem a good idea. karl
__________________
Stippolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2013, 14:39   #87
DGR
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 827
I think it's one of those bits of kit that would be really useful to have if you know someone is coming to get you - but what about the minority (?!) that go out with no anchor, no VHF, no flares, no common sense, but think that a 'laser flare' and a mobile phone will do?

I've been called out to a jet-skier who ran out of fuel and was more than 30 miles from where he thought he was - Coastguard teams and the RAF couldn't find him from the initial contact - but he was only half a mile off the beach, and if he'd fired a flare, then one of the people who were waving back at him (beggars belief, but anyway) might have called it in. If he'd been shining a laser at them, what would they have done? Would they have noticed, or just carried on waving?

Anyway, almost 2 hours after the intial call (and a refuel), the RAF found him, and we went to collect him.......
__________________
DGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2013, 14:57   #88
SPR
Trade member
 
SPR's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Central Belt of Scotland
Boat name: Puddleduck III
Make: Bombard
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50 HP
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stippolyte View Post
when my last set of mini flares expired the local fire station very kindly disposed of them.

on a slight deviation, does anyone have / had / used a skystreme radar kite ? Picked a couple up for a fiver at a boat jumble years ago. Thankfully never been used but seem a good idea. karl
yes - I got one but couldn't get it to fly! I was going to resell them - but I am not...

S.
__________________
SPRmarine / SPRtraining
RYA Training Courses & Safety Equipment Sales
SPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2013, 15:53   #89
Member
 
Country: UK - N Ireland
Length: under 3m
Engine: 10HP Merc
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 136
as noted above folks, dont neglect the fact that these laser flares basically mean nothing in the world of GMDSS and Distress alerting.

In the absence of any officially GMDSS recognised method of distress alerting, the coastguard, getting a call from a member of the public saying 'someone is shining a laser through the window of my waterfront home' is unlikely to task SAR units with any urgency, if at all.

A (genuine) red flare report on the other hand, is distinct, says 'i need immediate assistance,' and WILL result in broadcast action should the coastguard be notified.


SPR, what are you doing (if anything?) to get these things officially recognised as a means of Distress alert?

I see you noted something about the MOD being 'OK' with the use of these things because the laser is spread? and having been issued with a 'safety certificate?' it all sound a bit wishy washy to me sorry.....
__________________
miccheck1516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2013, 15:53   #90
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustRib View Post
I am slightly sceptical about these from MOB perspective. In the water - with a 3 foot or bigger swell, I am not sure I am holding out any fingers or arms to aim with...
As with all visual devices - they only work when someone is around to see them. At night time / cloudy overcast conditions - they are probably much more effective, and you can project the "Bat" signal onto a cloud. Do they have a lens/gobo that screws on the end and will project SOS on to a cloud or sail?
Worth having on your key ring? Not if your keys are still in your boat and your not.
I really would be interested in a demo sometime though.
Erm... did you patentthat before posting it?
I get the impression you were fished out pretty quick once the chopper was on scene which with an EPIRB passing your location makes perfect sense. Had you DSC'd or verbal'd your possition and then lost contact then you had drifted a fair bit by the time they got to you. Being able to flash your possition would presumably be handy.

Equally for the guys who are wanting to be rescued from water with 10 other ribs near by that the chopper needs to work out which one you are then flashing them probably helps.

I can also see for divers if its waterproof enough then if you surface away from your dive boat you can signal them or if it all goes wrong signal the search vessels.

Plenty of people wear Black Shaddows on here - so is difficult to see if you are in the water.

Would rather have a laser in my pocket than an explosive / firearm
__________________

__________________
ShinyShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:43.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.