Old 06 November 2007, 19:57   #21
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Or more likely they will point out that they are out of date and that there is an expiry date for a reason...

Given Pete7's comments about his not firing first time - is it possible that you just weren't assertive enough with them? I am assuming you have little experience with in date flares to know that your technique is correct?
Old 06 November 2007, 20:37   #22

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Or more likely they will point out that they are out of date and that there is an expiry date for a reason...

Given Pete7's comments about his not firing first time - is it possible that you just weren't assertive enough with them? I am assuming you have little experience with in date flares to know that your technique is correct?

I think flares not working is often user error , and if you haven't had the chance to practice with a few then they are as much danger as they are use .

I went to an flare demmo a few years back organised by a local canoe club . I sourced a box of 30 plus out of date flares of all types from a liferaft refurb company . There were loads of different makes in the box , many unusual foriegn ones I had never seen . Only one failed out of the whole lot, but lots of folk had problems letting the things off .
Old 06 November 2007, 20:58   #23

Boat name: SOLD
Length: under 3m
Same here i did a yacht course and the guy did a flare firing course
including parachutes, but he did tell the coast guard
we found that all the ones that did not go off, it was down to the way it was
fired, when the guy showed you what to do and that you really had to hit the bottom of the flare.
Old 06 November 2007, 21:27   #24

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Given Pete7's comments about his not firing first time - is it possible that you just weren't assertive enough with them?
Fair point, I was concerned to ensure that when it was struck it was facing away from me just in case. The firing pin did go all the way home because I looked at it to check to see what was wrong. Second strike was much harder and worked. Still have some left so will have a go with the rest of the hand helds, but its too built up to use the rockets and Salisbury Plain to far a drive.

Pete
Old 06 November 2007, 22:13   #25

Town: Bristol
Length: 5m +
As a little lateral comment:

Most of you are far from condoning the action of setting off these devices.

Personally I think it is a good idea to experience how they work in a non-distress situation.
Whether you attend a 'display' or set off your old ones I'll leave to you to decide.

For those of you who are adamant that they should never be set off except in an emergency can you PLEASE tell me where I can take my old out of date pieces?
I have a growing quantity in the garage...and that in itself can not be good

If I walk into a Police Station with them I believe they are bound to take them , but then have a mountain of paperwork cos some muppet walked into the building carrying explosive devices

I was told a couple of years ago that the Coastguard would happily accept them, but this doesnt seem to be the case anymore.

Of course we can't just drop them overboard either............

So, all you people who wouldnt dream of letting one off, where do you dispose of yours and is there a cost?

Cheers,

Orve.
Old 06 November 2007, 22:45   #26
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orville View Post
Personally I think it is a good idea to experience how they work in a non-distress situation.
I think everyone would agree with that
Quote:
Whether you attend a 'display' or set off your old ones I'll leave to you to decide.
but (a) the law has decided that (b) if it doesn't fire you have no idea if it is your technique or because it is out of age (as per discussion above)
Quote:
For those of you who are adamant that they should never be set off except in an emergency can you PLEASE tell me where I can take my old out of date pieces?
http://www.pwss.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=138
http://www.rnli.org.uk/who_we_are/me...rticleid=98804
http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11559
http://www.aberdeencoastguardcrt.co.uk/Pyros.htm
Quote:
If I walk into a Police Station with them I believe they are bound to take them , but then have a mountain of paperwork cos some muppet walked into the building carrying explosive devices

I was told a couple of years ago that the Coastguard would happily accept them, but this doesnt seem to be the case anymore.
have you asked them? If (as the aberdeen link above suggests) they don't want you walking into the office with a box of potential bombs - then they will be able to advise you how to get rid of them. I think what they are suggesting above is that local CG stations can take them but the MRCC (central offices) cannot.

In my opinion - the best way is via the chandler who sells you the replacements. He should be sending them back to manufacturer not just taking them to the local coastguard though.
Old 06 November 2007, 22:48   #27

Town: Fleet
Boat name: Hudson
Make: Ribeye Sport
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 150
Quote:
As a little lateral comment:

Most of you are far from condoning the action of setting off these devices.

Of course we can't just drop them overboard either............

So, all you people who wouldnt dream of letting one off, where do you dispose of yours and is there a cost?

Cheers,

Orve.
I did a RYA sea survival course a couple of years back. A highlight of that was setting of flares (coastguard clearly informed first). It was v useful trying different brands and one lesson was how different /difficult it was to set some off - oh and hot. I now always check how each boats work as I really dont want to be working out how to set the dam thing off in the middle of the night in a gale!

However, we used out of date flares (all worked when set off properly). You might want tto see if one of the schools want to take them off your hands to dispose of them.
Old 07 November 2007, 04:33   #28

Town: Oakland CA
You might also check with your local fire department, if the other options don't work for you. In most cases in the US, they'll take them.

jky
Old 07 November 2007, 11:15   #29

Town: Enfield/Switzerland
Boat name: Zonneschijn II/Vixen
Make: Shakespeare/Avon
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evin' 175 DI /Yam 90
MMSI: 235055605
Quote:
I took mine to the local police station.
Figured I really should get rid of them as they were 10 years or more out of date some of them, they'd been sat around in DAd's garage since I was a kid
Old 07 November 2007, 11:54   #30

Town: Fareham
I would love to have an organised flare firing demo arranged, I've never fired one before and hope never to have to.

So who's interested in setting one up? I'm quite happy to arrange it locally.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 November 2007, 13:45   #31

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
andy

id be up for attending that as i have a few out of date items as well
Old 07 November 2007, 13:59   #32

I think someone tried to organise one before, unsuccesfully if memory serves.

Earlier today I contacted RNLI though Email explaining the resons for a demo and await a reply. I think they insist on "in date" flares that they will supply.

I'll post any answer I get.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 07 November 2007, 20:39   #33

Town: Torrance
Length: no boat
Well, we used my out of date hand helds for lighting the bonfire... 8 reds and 2 whites, 6 expired 12/05 and 4 expired 12/06... plus 2 smokes expired 12/05 (was dark).

All fired 100%. But the 3 of us are pro seafarers and all have completed flare/survival courses...

SDG

PS - have 8 red paras if anyone wants them for training - 4 of each expiry date!
Old 08 November 2007, 08:19   #34

Town: Norfolk/Suffolk Borders
Make: no boat
some folk are still missing the point of this thread !

" All fired 100%. But the 3 of us are pro seafarers and all have completed flare/survival courses... "

SDG

All the flares I used ( NOT from any of the big names suggested already but unfair to name them as they WERE out of date ) were SOLAS approved made in the EU . The firing instructions were EXTREMELY simple .
1) Remove both plastic caps
2) Hold device vertical
3) pull cord horizontally.

Absolutely no striking/banging about involved.

But they did not go off . You don't have to be a pro seafarer to follow those instructions.

I've never seen a warning from any flare manufacturer that they are not 100% guaranteed to fire ( If in date ).

I'll make sure I do buy the well known brands in future , and I will be trying to improve my storage methods . Hope no -one on here ever needs to fire one in earnest !
Old 10 November 2007, 23:06   #35

Town: Torrance
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern Hanreck View Post
" All fired 100%. But the 3 of us are pro seafarers and all have completed flare/survival courses... "

SDG

All the flares I used ( NOT from any of the big names suggested already but unfair to name them as they WERE out of date ) were SOLAS approved made in the EU . The firing instructions were EXTREMELY simple .
1) Remove both plastic caps
2) Hold device vertical
3) pull cord horizontally.

Absolutely no striking/banging about involved.

But they did not go off . You don't have to be a pro seafarer to follow those instructions.

I've never seen a warning from any flare manufacturer that they are not 100% guaranteed to fire ( If in date ).

I'll make sure I do buy the well known brands in future , and I will be trying to improve my storage methods . Hope no -one on here ever needs to fire one in earnest !

Wasn't meant to sound derisory to non pro seafarers - sorry if it came across that way.

It IS possible to get it wrong as different flares are triggered in different ways and like everything practice makes perfect.

Not a plug but mine were all Pains Wessex, and all stored in polydrums with silica gel.

SDG
Old 12 November 2007, 18:12   #36

This is what the RNLI sent me today with regard the Flare demo:

Dear Mr Hightower,

Many thanks for your e-mail regarding use of flares. Without repeating your comments you have hit the nail on the head as to one of the primary reasons why we have set up a team of flare presenters around the UK to go to clubs and marinas offering flare demonstrations for this reason. We always say 'read it before you need it', but using flares other than their intended use is illegal so for the boat owner it poses an two safety issues, 1) Using the right flare in the emergency and 2) firing them correctly so as not to injure yourselves or crew.

Details of booking a flare demonstration can be found on our Sea Safety web pages www.rnli.org.uk/seasafety along with some other very useful information. For example, our FREE Complete Guide has video and animation of flares going off. This is also available to order on our web pages.

I hope you find this useful. If there is anything else, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards,
Tony

What I need from you guys is:

a. Who's interested

b. Location

c. Date

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 12 November 2007, 18:18   #37

Town: Swanmore nr Fareham
Boat name: Greyhound
Make: Ribtec
Engine: 225 Opti
Amazed....

I'm amazed at two things:

1) Being stupid enough firing a distress flare when not in distress
2) Admitting to it!

Just hoped that the parachute flares didn't land on someones thatched cottage!
Stuart M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2007, 19:42   #38

Town: Leighton Buzzard
Length: 5m +
Andy
Def interested, location: what is convenient for most people, date: preferably before our season starts again at easter.
Richard
Old 12 November 2007, 20:10   #39

What I'll do is to compile a list of interested parties and whan I think I have enough I will contact the RNLI again to arrange a demo.

The list so far:

Rickuk3
Hugh Jardon
Hightower

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 12 November 2007, 20:34   #40
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
What I'll do is to compile a list of interested parties and whan I think I have enough I will contact the RNLI again to arrange a demo.

The list so far:

Rickuk3
Hugh Jardon
Hightower
Count me and Sixy in too

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote