Old 25 February 2015, 21:39   #1

Town: West Scotland
Boat name: Orca
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: Tohatsu 115 TLDI
Fitting cylinder rack to deck

Just received delivery of a spanking new and very shiney XS Ribs 6-8 bottle, cylinder rack. Each base plate has 3 x 12mm holes drilled for screwing to the floor. The rack will go behind the console and will have various heavy bits of kit strapped to it and will also have divers using it to haul themselves aboard. It needs to be pretty damn well secured to the deck. I'll use sikaflex to act as a water seal and bonding material but will also need something to screw it to the floor. I'm guessing that standard self tappers might not be up to it. Anyone have any suggestions of a what to use?

Ta.
Old 26 February 2015, 06:31   #2

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Not sure what your options are, other than stainless-steel oversized self-tappers? If there was access under the deck I'd get it bolted down. Even if you did have access, then the deck construction underneath (stringers, etc) will restrict you to one side at a time which would mean drilling two access holes?

Can you get a picture of below deck construction of your rib from Humber so you can see?
Old 26 February 2015, 06:57   #3

Town: Fort William
Make: Ribcraft 585
Engine: Yamaha F115
RIBase
Should it not be glassed in to the deck.

I doubt self tappers are going to be up to the job.
Old 26 February 2015, 07:23   #4

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flibble View Post
Just received delivery of a spanking new and very shiney XS Ribs 6-8 bottle, cylinder rack. Each base plate has 3 x 12mm holes drilled for screwing to the floor. The rack will go behind the console and will have various heavy bits of kit strapped to it and will also have divers using it to haul themselves aboard. It needs to be pretty damn well secured to the deck. I'll use sikaflex to act as a water seal and bonding material but will also need something to screw it to the floor. I'm guessing that standard self tappers might not be up to it. Anyone have any suggestions of a what to use?

Ta.
i use stainless coach bolts thay have a large thread plus bed on sikaflex to seal

try john taylor fastenings
Old 26 February 2015, 11:57   #5

Thanks guys.
I don't have access to the underside of the deck so its a screw or glass in job. I'll try and source m12 stainless self tappers and screw to the deck with a load of sikaflex. Alternatively I could try screwing down/sikaflexing a ply panel with 6 captive nuts on the underside. This could then be glassed in with glass matting and painted. The rack could then be bolted thru the panel to the captive nuts. A bit more work involved there however.
Old 26 February 2015, 12:11   #6

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Quote:

Ta.
Toggler Snaptoggle | Anchor Bolts,Toggle Bolt, Toggle Bolts
This is my personal favorite solution. The other option is to glass it in, but using snap toggles will only cost a fraction as much

I would recommend bedding the whole unit lightly in 3M 4200, Sika 221, or Sika 291.

3M 5200 and Sika 592 are overkill for the application.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2015, 12:11   #7

RIBase
Quote:
Thanks guys.
I don't have access to the underside of the deck so its a screw or glass in job. I'll try and source m12 stainless self tappers and screw to the deck with a load of sikaflex. Alternatively I could try screwing down/sikaflexing a ply panel with 6 captive nuts on the underside. This could then be glassed in with glass matting and painted. The rack could then be bolted thru the panel to the captive nuts. A bit more work involved there however.
i am sure you can get a stainless fixing that is like a rawl bolt or a fixing you use for plaster board basically the bolt pulls the nut up and swells the side walls the top is larger than the hole once fitted it remains in place and you can remove the bolts as required
Old 26 February 2015, 13:10   #8

Town: Ayrshire
Boat name: Deepsea
Make: Bwm 18
Engine: Mariner 100hp, +4hp
Why don't you put a 4" round access hatch in the deck, then you can get get to the underside and put stainless nut's, bolt's and washer's on, that will give you the best fixing, imo.

Gerry.
Old 27 February 2015, 12:19   #9

Town: Whitehaven
Boat name: Cerberus
Make: Destroyer 5.8
Engine: 115hp Merc 4st
I'm also fitting a bottle rack soon and was going to do something similar to the toggler, but home made and probably using more string. Essentially drill an oversized hole, drop in a drilled and tapped plate on a bit of string. Pull string to locate then insert bolt. It may of course end up with a hull full of loose bits of stainless plate...........

Phil M
Old 28 February 2015, 15:08   #10

Thanks for the advice guys. I've ordered some 316 Stainless M12 coach screws and will screw these into the deck along with some 3M 4200 to act as a bonder and sealer. Shortest screws I could get were 50mm so will need to pack out with some washers. (I'm assuming Humber decks are 1 inch ply). Did a test with some wood I had spare and a 12mm zinc plated coach screw I had and by god it's a strong grip it gives.
Old 28 February 2015, 15:27   #11
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
1" ply seems very thick for a deck. 18mm maybe? Less not impossible.
Old 28 February 2015, 15:40   #12

RIBase
Quote:
Thanks for the advice guys. I've ordered some 316 Stainless M12 coach screws and will screw these into the deck along with some 3M 4200 to act as a bonder and sealer. Shortest screws I could get were 50mm so will need to pack out with some washers. (I'm assuming Humber decks are 1 inch ply). Did a test with some wood I had spare and a 12mm zinc plated coach screw I had and by god it's a strong grip it gives.
If you speak to Humber they are very helpful they will tell you deck thickness as poly said I would think 18-20mm thick ,if you pilot drill , screw your bolts in till max thread has gone into the wood then take out and cut to required length no washers needed .humber will probobly give you a patten allowing the full screw length to go in anyway I don't know your boat but my deep v has at least 150mm between deck and hull where you would fit a bottle rack.best speak to humber for piece of mind.
Regards jeff